I told my friend I don't support gay marriage and she flipped?

I'm a college student majoring in economics. All of my economics professors always say gay marriage will be the downfall of the economy. Since the Supreme Court ruled in favor of gay mariage, it has bad side effects. Many small businesses will be forced to close due increased taxes they will have to pay. Major companies will use it as an excuse to lay off thousands of workers and pass it off as budget cuts.

Personally I don't care if you're gay. I don't get why for and against gay marriage people have to bash each other. There are both pros and cons to thr argument . My friend was saying how great the news of gay marriage was and I told her I'm against it for the reasons I stated above. Her father, who is an economist (also the reason why I'm an Econ major) agreed with me and my friend flipped out at us. She called me and me and her father horrible people. Can we talk to her about the subject?

Most Helpful Guy

• While her reaction was overkill, it really isn't surprising. Unfortunately people have an "If you aren't with me, you are against me" attitude about gay marriage. I don't care about gay marriage one way or the other, and also get a lot of hate for just not caring, but having it legal won't do anything one way or another.

I think your professors don't know what they are talking about. Gays wouldn't put any more strain on the system than straight people already are. In fact single parents are a far bigger draw on the governments resources than gay couples will ever be.

If it was bad for our economy the announcement of it being being legal would have destroyed our stock market as soon as the news hit. At this point marriage really doesn't give any benefits that you can't get from some other means. Even the government will provide health insurance if you don't make enough, so you don't even need to be on your partners health insurance anymore.

Things like WIC that you mentioned actually are easier to get on if the person is single, so if anything it would lower peoples dependance on the government. In fact I know straight couples that purposely don't get married just so they qualify for WIC. Two "single" but pregnant lesbians can get approved for government aid a lot easier than two pregnant married lesbians, that have to report each others earnings when applying for government aid.

Adoption is very hard, and a couple have to make very good money in order to adopt. So the same people that do the adopting are actually the people that are contributing the most into the system. So again your professors reveal just how little they know.

What Guys Said 31

• Could someone explain to me why gay marriage would have such an effect on economy?

• Liberal bigots not much you can do about them.
    When they're shoving their propaganda down your throat you either swallow it and become a sheep or you spit it out and get called hateful names.

• No, generally gay worshipping people are suffering from some kind of guilt complex, or they want to appear liberal without having to take any really difficult stand on anything/

There's no reasoning with them, it's just like arguing about religion Many people have substitued gay worship for former obedience to their religious authority.

• I guess since civil marriage is such a drain on the economy, we should ban straight marriage immediately.

• It's difficult mixing academia and social issues without getting someones' emotions in a twist. Quite a lot of people tend to think that freedom and civil rights take precedence over everything else, which they probably should. Two people who love eachother should probably be allowed to get married, it doesn't matter if it's a statistically negative decision or not. I mean, statistically slavery was the best thing to ever happen to America as a country, but that doesn't mean it should be reinstated because it would be good for the economy. There are blurred lines between academics and social morality.

• You don't like gay marriage?
    I don't like mussels but I'm not trying to prohibit mussels.
    Eat all the mussels you want.

• She can't take other people's opinions. She has to respect you, not judge you. Let's hope that one day she'll understand what respecting an opinion and keeping bad comments for herself is.

• You can have your own opinion; she shouldn't have flipped

• Who gives a fuck if someone's gay! We have 18 trillion reasons to be worried about other crap, a useless government that is only good at creating agencies with acronyms.

Not to mention the fact that neither you or I will see social secrety.

• The reasons above dont make sense. Why wpuld companies lay off thousands of wotkers because gay marriage is legal? And why would it increase taxes on small businesses? Neither make sense.

• Companies are on the hook for most of the health insurance, employees pay for part of it. Companies look to cut expenses and to make up for the added insurance costs, jobs will be lost.

Its simple economics. You're only 17 so chances are you're still in high school. If you're planning on going to college, I suggest you take an economics course, you'll learn all about it

• Gays will marry and many will adopt children. They will be covered on one of their spouses/parents insurance.

So it simple terms, allowing gay marriage will lead to more need for health insurance. Also, government programs like WIC and food stamps will increase... how is welfare paid for? It's paid through taxes we pay

• If that was the case, the economy wpuld have been trash forever ago because it would apply to straight couples too.

• i don't get how gay marriage will close businesses, unless you mean by lawsuits or lower fertility rates among the population...

though yeah, leftists fiercely defend the religion of 'equality!'

• Don't know why its your opinion and you're entitled to it

• You cannot have arguments with politically correct retards. You will be labelled as a bigot.

• I'm flipping too.

• Most people can't be talked out of their opinion on this subject

• This is so stupid

• Nah liberals don't care about facts or reason. I constantly point out to them how idgaf if two gay people marry but just don't want to pay more taxes so they can get more spousal benefits and bigger tax returns.

• Are you at Christian college?

• then she's a fool. and a bad friend.

• I agree with your opinion. I for one is sick and tired of hearing about that crap.

• I think it would economically be better to enslave minorities and force them to work without pay or healthcare.

Don't you agree?

• It is sexual perversion. detrimental for the society in the long run.

• As usual yanks having irrational fear about something they shouldn't be..

• They see me trollin, they hatin, they tryin to catch me riding without reason and factually based logical arguments.

• It's people like this that are probably the ones that always go on about tolerance... But they don't even know what that word even means. The fact that you don't support gay marriage, but are going to tolerate the law that says that gays are allowed to get married is the very definition of being tolerant. Yet, in their mind.. tolerance is whoever agrees with them is tolerant and anyone who disagrees is intolerant.

• 2|3
  • I'm sorry you feel that way

• How is gay marriage bad for the economy? It's the same as straight marriage but the people have the same gender there isn't really any other difference..

• You can't have an opinion when it comes to left wing mofos.

• People have a right to an opposing view on gay marriage if they want to. Liberals seem to get really oversensitive when people don't have the same mindset as they do. Pay no attention to them...

• More from Guys
    1

What Girls Said 16

• Considering the amount of pure even homicidal hate the homosexual community has received, not embracing or commending them can easily make you come off as an asshole. :/ Although what you're saying kinda sorta makes logical sense, it's an accomplishment for a marginalized group and that should be honored and celebrated.
    Was your friend not clear on why you feel the way you feel?

• She knows I could care less if someone is gay. I just don't like how everyone else has to pay higher taxes and that many people will lose their jobs in order for gay marriage to pass. That's why several states are appealing

• I don't think you should get any legal benefits for marriage, gay or straight. An Unemployed person has insurance because they're married? Not fair to an unemployed single person.

• Then why are you using that as a reason for being against gay marriage?

• In life, I have learned hard, valuable lessons that you don't ever Discuss: Politics, religion and Now... The Supreme Court ruled in favor of gay marriage.
    No, you cannot 'Talk to her about the subject,' best thing is to Change the sore Subject and talk About... Something different.
    Good luck. xx

• There's a difference between aid about the economy and just being a decent human being. I don't really understand how being against gay marriage and for racial discrimination is any different. So forget the economy and all that crap but just decently caring about the rights of people.
    If you think about it slavery was absolutely fantastic for the economy. But believing it's okay because it helps the economy is just one of the most awful things I can think of

• What kind of college are you going to? Bible Belt much?

Your logic makes absolutely no sense. You're wasting you money at that 'college'.

• Nope I live in the North Eastern USA. That's about 1500 miles away from the Bible Belt. My logic does make sense, it's simple economics

• Well its because people have rights Ideas don't. And gays on top of prejudice had a lot of rights taken away from them when they weren't allowed to marry. No tax benefits , and they weren't even allowed to visit their partner in the hospital because they weren't Married. This is about Human rights! Everyone deserves to have the same rights.

• Jesus! Where do you go to college? Bob Jones University? Your economics professors all sound like ignorant idiots who don't know shit about economics. Your friend maybe shouldn't have flipped but a lot of people are very sensitive about an issue this important. Is your friend gay? Maybe she has family or close friends who are and will be directly impacted by this decision.

• I attend a pretty good school. My professors are published in leading economics journals so they're smart.

She's not gay, she's clueless. She says nothing her while about being for or against it but now she does? She could careless about politics but she jumps on popular bandwagon opinions without looking at facts to decide for herself

• 1st off Econ is mostly being good at numbers, I don't have the math version of dyslexia. 2nd off I said a pretty good school, not Harvard, it's my state univeristy.

• I suppose... I still think your economics professors sound like idiots!

• Just leave it alone

• You can have your own opinion, just as she had her own about this subject.

• I honestly think that things will even out economically. The marriage rate has currently been on a decline for quite some time now. More and more people are opting out of marriage. Because of this I don't think it makes as big of an impact.

• I don't support gay marriage it's just my opinion. But if you're gay that's fine with me. She shouldn't have flipped.

• Gay marriage has nothing to do with the economy. And she shouldn't of flipped out because everyone has their own opinions.

• Simoly explain to her that the Butterfly Effect is VERY real...

• You are entitled to your beliefs. Fact of the matter is, gay marriage doesn't make sense. It doesn't. But somehow, the gay "marriage" supporters think its perfectly ok to attack someone for pointing this out.

• Everyone has an opinion , I never understood why opinions are so one sided. She should've respected your decision , Without getting angry. If you agreed with it or not.

• I understand where your friend is coming from. You're looking at thinks from an economical point of view. Your friend isn't. Everyone has a right to their own opinion, but me personally I'm for gay marriage. I think that if two consenting adults love each other, it shouldn't matter what gender they are. You're friend isn't thinking about it the same way that you are. To her you're basically putting money over love.

• talk to her about it.