Did you think its okay to ask for people to support a honeymoon fund instead of gifts?

My fiance and I are living together and don't really need anything that badly. We were thinking to pass the word that we want donations or financial contributions to a honey moon fund. Do you think this is okay? We won't put it on the invitation but will tell all immediate family so word of mouth would spread it. That is what the etiqutte site said to do at least.

Thoughts?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think the idea that they can gift them something specific for their honeymoon to be better.
    A cousin of my boyfriend did it. They made a list of what they were going to do and added a price tag to them.. and the people could visit that page and decide what they wanted and could afford to gift. Things from "breakfast in the hotel" to "entrance to a museum" to "a dinner to a posh restaurant" to "one of the night in the 5 star hotel" to "tours they wanted to do on their honeymoon" etc.

What Guys Said 5

• I wouldn't have a problem with that. I know that when I get married it will be pointless for people to buy gifts for me and whoever I marry. My home is fully furnished there isn't anything I'd need so this sounds like a great idea and one I might steal if it goes well.

• Yes i think the idea is good and hope it works out for you and your fiance.

• Yes, I think that's perfectly fine! To me, it's no different than a gift registry...

• I think it's fine. If my friends requested that for their wedding, I'd happily contribute!

• Sure, why not? I'm not very good at picking out gifts. I'd personally prefer it.

What Girls Said 4

• I don't see any problem with it. I have heard of many couples asking for donations for a honeymood fund vs. having a registry. It's becoming more common now that couples are starting to live together before marriage.

Many people already have their home set up before getting married. So it makes sense to ask for money only. Especially if you already have a toaster and don't need 10 more.

I would just google some cute ways to include it on the invitation. Maybe select a cute thing to display at the wedding explaining it as well. That way people understand. Some people may still give you gifts. If that happens, graciously accept. Some people will do what they want!

• There is nothing wrong with that. After all who needs more then 1 toaster

• My sister is getting married in August and she's doing the same thing. She made up a little flyer because people kept asking where they were registered and she sent those out. She got a reception from it so I'd say go for it.

• No thats fine. Many people have done that.