Ask for parents blessing before popping the question?

There was a time, so I'm told, where it was proper to ask for the parents blessing before a marriage proposal. Has that time come and gone or is it alive and well?

• Yes, get the father's blessing
  • Yes, get the parents blessing
  • No, not necessary
  • Marriage, why do that?
  • Just show me the answers

Most Helpful Girl

• I think that vote should tell you just about everything there is to know considering the person you'll be asking for a hand would be a woman, and women are saying, get their parents blessing. Go! Get it! My brother, now married, made sure to ask his wife's parents for her hand. He saw it as the utmost sign of respect. His wife is the youngest in the family, and was the last to marry, so it was extra personal one could imagine that their baby was going to be married. As much as it literally pains the inside of my uterus to admit this, sometimes old fashioned rules have their place. In modern times however, I don't think its so much about 'getting their approval,' so much as its getting their blessing and respecting her parents, and starting on the right foot into your new lives together with the support of family behind you.

What Girls Said 4

• Even if it isn't necessary, it'll net you family brownie points, and I love my family so I know I'd appreciate it.
    it's old fashioned but sweet too

• If you were going to ask, you should ask both parents. The father doesn't own the girl for gods sake... But it's also so weird in my opinion to ask the parents or the dad. Like the woman/man is an adult, she/he can't make decisions for herself? The parents have literally no say in who she/he wants to marry.

• I think the notion of asking for the parents blessing (vs permission), is to show respect and inclusion. I agree that the answer to a marriage proposal it isn't their decison though.

• My sisters now fiancĂ© took my parents out to dinner and asked permission. It's still a thing.

• both of their blessing.

What Guys Said 1

• Personally I'd seek my parters parents permission, in a lot of ways, I'm old school.