Engagement ring - rule of thumb, respectable but practical, something else?

What do you believe is the right approach to an engagement ring purchase, assuming you could afford a nice ring?

• Two months salary - you must spend it on a ring
  • Just buy something nice that you think she will like
  • High quality diamond around a carat or so, anything bigger would be hard to manage
  • Ring? Why buy that?
  • Just show me the answers

Most Helpful Girl

• Definitely B for me. I don't need all the bells and whistles. Especially if he can't really afford. Something simple is fine. I'm more interested in the actual proposal.

What Girls Said 4

• I would prefer a Celtic knot that means something honestly, I don't care for diamonds. Maybe even a ring of jade or some other exotic stone or metal with meaning

Some failure of a grandson would sell diamond rings for gambling money anyway... Jk haha

• Answer C:
    Call me old-fashioned, but I believe in the single-diamond stud. It doesn't have to be very expensive, it just has to be mostly clean of impurities and well-cut to really sparkle.

• I would feel so bad if my boyfriend spent a shit ton of money on a ring. The ring isn't even important! If it's really that important to either people, they do not have their priorities straight.

• just something nice.

What Guys Said 4

• Well I'm super hippy about those things and say do your homework on the store and brand of the ring and ask the manager proof that it isn't a conflict diamond.(yes those are absolutely still around and the policies and practices used to fight them are still corruptible). I think price really shouldn't matter.

• It's actually been proven in a recent study that the more expensive the ring is, the more likely to fail the relationship is.

www.huffingtonpost.com/.../...study_n_5929056.html

Just buy something nice but affordable from a small jeweler shop or maybe on Etsy.

• But spending too little will also increase the chances of the relationship failing at some point. It would be better to spend like $500 to $1000 on the ring.

• It would be something that she would like, it would be decent in price at least something that covers all the bases.

• unless she's a gold digger you dont have to get something huge just get something that matches her and your sense of style she's marrying you not the ring