If Christians are forced into silence because of fear of legal, social, and financial retribution, because of gay marriage are they harmed?

Most Helpful Guy

• Christians did no doubt take the biggest hit of gay marriage. We are no longer allowed to voice our opinion without being labeled bigots and risking to get sued. But don't be discouraged, the world needs to hear the word, no matter how hard they try to shut us down.

What Girls Said 5

• Criticizing the law is not the same as breaking the law. A distinction apparently a lot of people don't get

Law is that you can't discriminate against gay people. If you don't like it, protest, file a petition or something. No one is silencing you, but you have to obey the law. duh ! You're not above it.
    That's something else a lot of religious people don't seem to get. Religious freedom protects from prosecution by your government based on your beliefs. That doesn't mean you can go to George Michaels house and throw stones at him because in the bible it says gay people should be stoned

• You can't protest against it. People are getting put in prison for simply speaking out. People are losing their homes and their jobs simply from people finding out that they are not pro gay.
      So much for religious freedom you speak of.

• Not being able to discriminate doesn't mean your vein out down.
    Jat like they have the freedom to be homophobic I have the freedom to call them an idiot. They're only upset because for once public opinion isn't on their side and their being shamed for their beliefs. They weren't standing up for LGBT people when they were being shamed for their lifestyle and opinion.

• 60 years ago people used the church to justify discrimination. They said that they didn't have to serve people of color because The Lord said they didn't. But that's not how it works.
      Now we look at these people and know what they're doing is wrong. I don't see how people says it's not wrong just because it's gay people.
      If you don't want to have to associate with people who have different life views then don get into an industry that involves other people.
      Also you can has your own views in your own home but you can't make me abide to them.

• Yes they / we are being harmed indirectly as a result.

• Christians being put in prison, losing their homes and jobs i don't think is indirect.
      Not to mention religions are going to lose their tax exempt status and be forced to marry gay couples, even though it says specifically in the bible that its an abomination.

• Yes but what I have learned is that churches becomes stronger through persecution, not weaker. Why do you think christians are getting their hands chopped off in Africa while in Canada and Cmerica christians are afraid to have people give them dirty looks? Its because in North America, Christians are too comfortable and have not adapted to living in harsh environments - environments where their faith is continually tested and challenged. I think eventually people will realize that belief and non-belief cannot co-exist together.

• strengthened by the fire. here's hoping.

• No not reallly

• Again, fucking pathetic of you OP to block me after having the last word. That just means that I won this argument as well.

Sry Bards for the notiffication.

• @ThisDudeHere no problem! He sucks!

• Nobody is forcing them to be quiet, they are being made to obey the law!
    Why do they feel the need to give their opinion on what consenting adults do, it's none of their business.

• Except for all the people being put in prison, and losing their homes and jobs for it.
      They deserve it after all, theyre Christians. And fuck the first amendment.

What Guys Said 4

• So if I have this religious belief that blond people are not allowed to get married and people are not allowed to eat cheese. Do you think it's okay for me to enforce those rules onto others or should I simply keep those ideas to myself and live my life and let others live theirs?

• So i have this legal belief that people shouldn't go around raping people. Do you think its ok for me to enforce this rule onto others or should i simply keep this idea to myself and live my lief and let others live theirs.
      Your tired old "Sherbert or "compelling interest" test." has been refuted. And is unoriginal.

And yes we legislate morality all the time. Thou shall not steal ring any bells?

• This is how a modern society works. We do our best to remove destructive people from the rest. Of course it's objectively enforcing something onto the murderer. We have this law because it's the consent of the majority. And once upon a time it was the consent of the majority to burn witches. The moral progress of humanity have mainly consisted of slowly removing religious concepts. The latest removal is about gay people. In 50 years religions people will think that whole concept is silly just like most people think the concept of burning witches is silly.

• Besides, you are comparing murder which is objectively a destructive action to gay marriage which is not objectively destructive.

• "forced into silence". What do you mean forced? As in, you're forced to not be a bigoted ass? Oh well boo fucking hoo.

• Homosexuals can sue people who are exercising their religious beliefs. For example, a heterosexual married couple with children who do not want to rent a room in their own family household to homosexuals could be sued for discrimination based on "sexual orientation." This can incur significant financial and emotional stress upon the family, not to mention the "prior restraint" effect of the fear of being sued, which results in a family not renting out a room and losing the income. In addition, consider the 2015 Colorado case involving a baker who refused to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple's wedding on religious grounds. The subsequent fine of $135,000, upheld by the Colorado Supreme Court, bankrupted the baker. Was that not harmful? Of course it was, not only to the baker and his family, but to countless others who were denied the baker's services.

THats what i mean forced.

• For fuck's sake's dude what's with you neckroing old threads? Jesus fucking Christ give it a rest. I'm not going to bother rereading what I wrote but I'm just going to say that discriminating against gays by not allowing them to marry has no basis. Discriminating against a thief makes sense because he actually hurt someone (or more like hurt their financial situation) and thus 'discriminating' them by putting them behind bars makes perfect sense.

Gays don't harm ANY ONE AT ALL by marrying. Like fucking no one. Nobody loses an arm when they put on the ring. Nobody's hearing is damaged when they say the vows. Nobody gets AIDS when they kiss and nobody's life is ruined when the two spend their's together happily ever after.

Dude, you don't have to like gays, heck you're free to be neutral (like me) or even outright hate them but just fucking ignore them and live your own life.

And if you bring up that isolated case about bigoted bakers, nope.

• First of all, i apologize for having a life, and recognizing that there does not exist a statute of limitations of an argument. Second, strawman, i did not say it was. Third, yes it changes everything IF the bible is true and god does exist it DOES harm them, just like smoking. Fourth, anal sex (which gay men do more than straight men) spreads aids more than vaginal sex does and has been PROVEN to be more harmful to them than vaginal sex. Fifth. Your argument FAILS.
      SIxth, preachers are being arrested for preaching that homosexuality is a sin. Seventh, churches are being warned by the supreme court that if they dont marry in the churches they are probably going to be put in prison AND will lose tax exempt status, which by the way IS UNCONSTITUTIONAL. You know nothing.
      FAIL.

• I'll still voice my opinion about it and I won't hide the fact that I view it as wrong and sinful I never have and I never will, if that makes me a bigots or someone to be hated by gays or people who support them then so be it.

• ... no. You're only forced to not be a dick about the fact that two people who have absolutely no impact on your life whatsoever can now get married. Something that brings immense joy into their life, and has no affect on your own.

• Sigh..
      You dont look at the facts do you.

• "I don't look at the "facts" provided by Fox. "
      Oh brother. 2+2=4 REGARDLESS if Hitler said it.
      You know, i saw that obama won the presidency on "faux" news. I guess the other guy won.
      Perhaps you should learn a thing about "logic"
      Namely genetic fallacy.
      "The genetic fallacy, also known as fallacy of origins, fallacy of virtue, is a fallacy of irrelevance where a conclusion is suggested based solely on something or someone's origin rather than its current meaning or context."
      www.nizkor.org/.../genetic-fallacy.html

I guess if hitler said 2+2=4 i guess it must be false then. Because he's hitler.
      You are awful.