Why do people get married?

A marriage is usually expensive and it won't make love last forever... And you can still have children, live with and fully love your partner without the marriage, so why do you get married?

Most Helpful Girl

• It's a commitment for life. It means you are tied together and will love each other through anything. Not only is it a commitment to each other, it's a commitment to God (for those who are religious, that is). There's deeper meaning than just being stuck with the same person forever. The expense of a wedding is something that's well worth it to people who truly care. And sure, marriage doesn't make love last forever, but it helps. It gets you closer to your spouse and your relationship takes on a new meaning.

I could go on and on.

• I wouldn't call it a commitment for life in an age of pre-nups and quickie divorces.

• 60% of divorce in the us

• Your point? I've made my point clear enough--I'm done trying to explain.

What Guys Said 6

• probably i dont have an answer for you, but it is trandition, in many religions and cultures u can't get love or babies until u get married so u will hear many answers

• People are socialized to believe that it "symbolizes commitment", so it's kinda something they learn to want to have.

• That's an excellent question. I never have.

• U live with someone , have sex , there is someone u love and wake up next to , have kids , grow a family

• all or nothing.

• What do u mean?

• just that. i'f i'm dating. gonna go for marriage too. in fact, i learned that you shouldn't be dating unless your looking to settle down. i never put too much thought into it... till you see the issues that derive from it. for instance: look at all the single mothers. do you think they're be so many single mothers if women weren't bamboozled by every casanoza they meet? this is the reason why so many men against marriage... there is virtually no commitment. sadly, a girl's mind is easily susceptible to this way of thinking do to how the media works... it's designed to make girls weak-and players, abusers and cowards use that to their advantage.

• By marrying someone you are agreeing to live the rest of your life with the other person. You are obviously going to have good and bad times in your marriage. But thats what its all about. Staying together through the good and bad times.
    If you want to have an open relationship then that's up to you. I personally avoid women who are into open relationships because a marriage is much more stable.

What Girls Said 7

• There are benefits. Like if your loved one starts having medical issues, you don't get the right to make any medical decisions on their behalf. You're legally not given any familial rights. Also, tax breaks.

Along with that, I think it's kind of a nice thought to promise yourself to one person forever. Unrealistic, but nice.

• There are a lot of tax benefits to getting married, and it assures that when the spouse dies you won't be left with nothing and no help.

• I don't really know, I think people like the title.
    It doesn't really matter to me I may get married but I don't have to in order to be committed

• Why will u get married then... ?

• I it's important to my partner I will but I don't care if it happens or not because it doesn't matter to me any way

• Ya. You are just like me😊

• Commitment, financial stability, all those lovely things...

• Well I did it for LOVE everything else is extra seriously.

• What do you mean? I can LOVE someone without marriage.

• it's a commitment and you just feel safe also the title is quite nice it just makes you feel like someone is willing to spend the rest of their life with you

• Your right it is expensive and you can love without being married but for me it means 2 people and 2 families joining together. Its more of a secure feeling being married. I was brought up that divorce is wrong (except in certain circumstances, such as abuse, or adultery) so I wouldn't of got married unless I was absolutely sure. I guess it means more if your religious because you don't just make a promise/vow to your husband/wife you do it in front of god. So going against your vows you wouldn't just let down you h/w but god as well