If you support Gay marriage, then you also have to support polygamous or incest marriage as well or you are a hypocrite. Agree or disagree?

This is a common argument against same sex marriage that i've been seeing. Do you agree or disagree with it and why?

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 13

• People who "ask" those questions are either trolls or incredibly ignorant.

Incest is wrong. Period.

Polygamy usually has the unfortunate side effect of abusing women. Look at all the splinter LDS cults that allow polygamous arrangements. The women are abused in multiple ways by their husbands on a regular basis. I know this isn't what some polygamous arrangements are like and I wish we could protect those but until we work out a way to ensure people aren't using it as a way to abuse others in their communities we'll have to wait.

• I agree incest is disgusting but it's not wrong. It should be legal to marry a relative, regardless of how nasty you think it is.

And polygamy should be legal, as long as everyone consents in the marriage. You can't use abuse as an excuse, there is a plenty of abuse is singular marriages.

I support ALL marriage equality, unlike many other hypocrites.

• You have to see that these relationships can be exceedingly problematic for the participants. Something has gone horribly horribly wrong if a parent want to marry their child. We have many dysfunctional examples of examples of polygamy right now. Both of these situations are unsafe for one or more of the participants in a way that far exceeds a "normal" abusive situation. We need to find ways to protect theses people before we find ways to enable them.

@CincinnatiRedsfan

• disagree.

polygamy is whatever, i dont really care is legal or not.

incest marriages are often based on the youngest person being "groomed" from childhood to love that person, usually in very abusive ways [and incest is super gross, ew]

• Homosexuality: The sexual attraction to a person of the same gender.

Polygamy: The marriage to multiple wives.

Not the same thing at all.

Incest marriage: The marriage of a family member to another family member very closely related (parent/child, sibling/sibling).

Not the same thing as homosexuality. And not the same thing as polygamy.

• Disagree. However, TBH, as long as everyone involved is an adult and they are freely consenting of their own volition, I really wouldn't care if people wanted to enter a poly or incestuous marriage. I do have a problem with the idea of incestuous couples producing children though, because of the high risk of deformity and such.

• img0.joyreactor.com/.../...osters-auto-344251.jpeg

Furthermore I want to add that I like pink ☺️

• I highly disagree.
    Gay marriage and incest marriage are two VERY different things. Incest is disgusting. The thought itself make me want to throw up.

• And homosexuality isn't disgusting and doesn't make you want to throw up? LOL

• First of all stop using caps. It's really annoying the hell out of me. Second, Oooh so now you are questioning my sexuality? Lol. How pathetic.

Aren't you the same guy who was so obsessed about proving @Chick180 was a "catfish"
      You argued with so many people cause you thought her pics weren't real. Even if it wasn't her, why the heck do you care? Don't you have anything better to do? Get a life.

• None of those are beneficial to society so why not? If you are going to legalize gay marriage, legalize everything else.

• Not necessarily.

• Incest has been around like homosexuality for thousands of years, it is still allowed in many countries. America believes we are further in our society, incest must be below us. If we truly believe this, it could be made legal and very few would actually marry. On another side, family members often can't participate or collect rewards/benefits if they are related to an employee or policy holder, this would cause issues for companies. Polygamy should be legal, I agree that only one "couple" should be officially wed.

• you most defiantly do not have to support them.

• If all involved are fully consenting adults (no manipulation during the "under 18" years involved), then no, I have no problem with either of those things. The main problems I see with any legalization efforts have to do with logistics and protection of minors, which I see as a good reason to be hesitant about legalization for some people.

Admittedly, my knee-jerk reaction to incest is disgust, but that's one of those things that I really had to analyze honestly, why I felt it was wrong. I had to conclude that, while I don't like it, the concept of incest (again, between consenting adults) is not immoral in my eyes.

• I disagree.

• I disagree. Gay marriage was for equality. Polygamous marriage is wanting more than equality.

• what do you mean by 'more than equality?'

• @cincinnatiredsfan
      I think it should be legal but not for the same reasons as gay marriage.

• @CincinnatiRedsfan

What Guys Said 14

• No it's like comparing apples to incestuous oranges. I have no problem with consenting adults marrying each other but with incest marriage that leads to children paying the price because the potential for birth defects and the like are exponentially increased in that situation. It's making a potentially bad decision from the gate whereas straight and gay marriages really don't influence anyone but the two people involved. If they aren't right for each other then they aren't right for each other. I have no problem with polyamory granted that people are consenting adults. I have no logical reason to be against it unless someone was bullied into it by some religious cult or whatever. The law would be the most difficult thing to adapt in that case.

• No, it doesn't make the person a hypocrite. It someone supports gay marriage, it means they support gay marriage. It's as simple as that. I wouldn't doubt if there were people who support gay marriage AND oppose straight marriage.

Now, anyone who supports MARRIAGE EQUALITY and opposes polygamous and incest marriages IS a hypocrite. Marriage equality is just that: Equality. Two gays can consent to marriage, so why can't multiple people consent to polygamy?(As long as everyone agrees.) As nasty as incest is, if people two relatives consent to marriage, why not?

I support everything you listed. I truly do support marriage equality.

• It's a very valid and interesting legal question, isn't it? From a Constitutional perspective the SCOTUS overreached big time with their recent decision as marriage and religious decisions should never sit in the domain of state and Federal lawmakers. However, I would not be surprised, by any means, if polygamy was soon to be challenged for legality based on the recent homosexuality marriage decision. I mean... from the basis of reasoning from the recent decision, there isn't much of a difference based on the consent laws.

What I worry about is groups like NAMBLA and/or incestuous rights groups. Polygamy will more than likely win as I simply see no legal reasoning that wouldn't allow their defenders to use the recent decisions to allow them to legalize that as well. It will be interesting and likely awful to see how far this slippery slope goes.

• Disagree on incest and poligamy, but not polinamorous. Incest is scientifically proven to cause debilitating and fatal birth defects. Not only that but is known to create social pariahs out of offspring and has been theorized to raise chances for suicidal tendancies. Poligamy only allows the fe/male to marry multiple times this of course is not always a life choice of all partners involved. Polinamorous couples however are all with one another and all share mutual feelings and status within the relationship.

• ... That's not leaping to a conclusion, that's pole-vaulting and landing on top of a space shuttle.

• Stupid argument. If everybody's happy, polygamy is fine and biologically, I don't think we're supposed to be attracted to family members

• I think that argument is stupid af, because it's not the same thing. although I'm not against those either lol.

• I agree.

And indeed I do support legalizing incest and polygamy.

• I disagree, but it is a slippery slope that we are now on.

• These 3 things have nothing in common.

• Disagree. But the reasoning is so obvious, that if you can't see it, then no one can explain it to you.

• It is up to the individual state whether to allow it or not. While marriage (hetero and homosexual) is protected under the constitution. I say if you're an adult do what you want, but there are negatives to those types of relationships.

• Well they're not against the Constitution, the thenth amendment states that is up to the state and the people to decide whether it's right or not. Not the supreme Court, as marriage is not a political issue.

I personally see nothing wrong with poligamy but I'm against incest. Even animals leave their groups to prevent inbreeding!

• Marriage is a contract. I think adults should be free to make and break whatever kind of contracts they please within reason. That is to say the state, to forbid a certain kind of contract must be able to demonstrates that of it's very nature, it injures someone.

The state has a role in protecting minors but since you can have marriage without children and children without marriage (as most people do nowadays) I don't see that as a compelling cause.