What is the point of getting married?

The way I see it, you were already in a committed relationship, probably for years if you're taking that next step. You know you love each other. Why is a ring, a ceremony, and a piece of paper needed in the relationship? It feels like a wedding is just proving your love to everybody else, even though you're the only two people who need to know it. What other reason is there besides tax benefits?

What changes once you've taken that step from dating to married? Is it jsut what you think you're supposedto do when you love each other as that next step? Is it really just for show? Thoughts please. Perhaps I'm being silly in thinking nothing changes, but I can't think of what the real difference would be besides tax benefits and bigger consequences if you break up.

Most Helpful Guy

• There really is no point honestly. If you really love each other, a ring is not going to make it any better. Pus divorces are always messy. My sister has a friend whos parents have divcorced and now i guess the girl has tried to commit scuicide because of the problems it has caused. If they never married the guy could have just left with out going through all the emotional shit. The mom could have just told the daughter that he just disappeared instead he won't see her because he wants nothing to do with the mom.

Most Helpful Girl

• I absolutely agree with you. If two people know they love each other, they don't need to prove it to anyone.
    Some people get married because they feel it's important, they want to celebrate their love with their family and friends. And they feel that the relationship is more serious if they are married.

But, to be honest I think that weddings are a waste of money.

• Particularly people who insist on having extravagant ones, not to mention how much they may insist on spending on a ring. What's truly bad is when the couple gets married despite not being able to afford the wedding and plunging themselves into debt, or using money they do have on the wedding instead of a nice home or care, or having that money incase it was needed for unexpected repairs or medical bills.

• Agreed. If they want to get married, fine, but doing it when it'll make them financially unstable is just irresponsible.

• Exactly. They should have priorities.

What Guys Said 8

• Because marriage more than just 'proving to your loved one that you love them.' It is a form of lawfully being in unison with your partner. Directly, being a law-abiding citizen you declaring in the eyes of the law that your life is not only yours anymore but you and your partner's lives are now joined together. Committed relationships tend not be those where you declare you martial status and thus, who actually know your households are combined? Maybe there's a lot of things I said that are wrong but that's what it means to me.

• But that's exactly it: Why do you need to declare it in the eyes of the law? Why do you need to prove it to the government or anyone else?

• No, I got the point. I just don't see why a relationship won't stand without the "law permitting or knowing it." I don't see why it's necessary to bring the law into the relationship.

• You are missing the point because if you aren't missing the point then you should know that I never said the relationship won't stand without the law. I said the law wouldn't acknowledge your relationship until you marry. Obviously, if you don't care about making your relationship acknowledged by the law and you don't want the benefits that come with that then it doesn't really matter if you do marry or not on that basis. Look, you wanted a point and I gave you one.

• lol your fingers are so funny.

anyways ehh some people see it as the ultimate final commitment to their partners, and others do it because of tradition. im sure there are more reasons.

• That depends upon the view of the individual for me it is the traditional and christian view of marriage, two lovers, bound in holy matrimony, sanctified by the church under gods watchful eye. That is what marriage is to me, whether I am married or not does not make me love someone any more or any less though.

• but marriage and it's meaning is important to me as an individual.

• @Asker I wished more women could share those thoughts. Some people are just dead set on marriage, even non-religious types. Only time, pressure, and action determines if someone really loves you or not. Not a legally binding contract. Your right about the separation part, it's a reason for the courts to get involved into your business. It will also cost you more.

• Also, love is easy when it's very convenient for both partners. What usually ends up happening, is the love between the spouses is not equal, (One loves the other way more). I have seen married couples, who during financial, health problems, or bad times, split after years of being together and "loving" each other. They were great together when everyone was healthy, and life was going well, but when the going gets tough or they have to personally sacrifice or inconvenience their life for that of their spouse, they are quick to divorce. A piece of paper means nothing, and doesn't demonstrate in any way someone's true loyalty or love for you.

• Tax breaks, being able to get "married" rates on things such as insurance and on traveling deals!

• More of a legal issue if anything..

• Responsibility.

• What changes is that women get a bag of goodies (his assets) if the relationship sours. Other than that, not much.

What Girls Said 6

• Not everyone has a wedding when they get married. I know a few people who just went to the courthouse and that was it. I never really saw the point in getting married. They only good thing that comes out of it is if something happens to your spouse, then you are able to make all the medical decisions. Which can sometimes be a relief because at least you know you have their best interest at heart. Other than that yea don't see the point.

• Because married people are legally joined, there are perks, and it's also a formal commitment.
    Some people do it for religious reasons. I won't. But it's a tradition and commitment I hope to do one day.

• Exactly. It all boils down to perks and formalities. Formalities shouldn't really be needed if you love each other, and personally, I think perks from the government is a silly reason to get married.

• It's a tradition, and it does stand for something, a huge commitment and promise. I would be stupid if I said this can't be achieved outside of marriage, because it has-time and time again. But it's a tradition. And not a bad one. It's pretty harmless. People just have to be on the same wavelength in a relationship.

• I just think why not get married when u know this is the person u want to spend the rest of ur life with. In a way, its sayin that u believe in ur love and that u will make it through thick and thin. Even if some people forget it. However why shoul we forsake the good examples of a marriage for the bad ones, if there are indeed successful loving marriages?

Well, personaly I can't wait to spend the rest of my life beside the person i love.

• But isn't being in a relationship with them in the first place having already decided you wanted to be together forever? If you didn't think that they would be someone you'd be with in the long run, doesn't that defeat the purpose of being in the relationship in the first place? Is a loving, successful relationship already, why is the formality necessary?

• Im not saying it is the right thing for everyone. But I think in a way it reenforces the commitement.

U r entitled to ur opinion of course

• Getting the benefits that comes with it by law. That's the only useful part I can think of. Other than that there isn't a point to it. You don't need to marry another person to prove how much you love them.

• Exactly. And if the marriage fails, the costs will probably override the benefits that had been had.

• Where I am from, marriage is very important and I love the concept of it.

• Holy shit. You just blew my mind