Why do Gays need to get Married?

I don't mean in anyway to offend the gay comunity but I'm honestly asking out of my ignorance.

Why do you need to get married in the first place? If you both love eachother, isn't that enought? Why do you need a piece of paper to confess your love?

I suppose this can be apply to straight people too but for them isn't it more of a legal contract for childrens rights etc or religious custom?

Please forgive me if I sound ludicrous, take this opportunity to educate me where the American education system has failed to do do so!

Most Helpful Girl

• I think a big part of it is the fact that a lot of people don't see marriage strictly as a legal contract. They see as a way to shout to the world that they love each other more than anything else. Plus for the obvious reasons. Let's say their partner were to become hospitalized then the "family only" rule is put into affect and this go typically for things like life support. The next of kin is usually given the power of attorney and if you are just together and not married then you're not kin. I know in the military if you're married you get extra benefits and would be allowed to live on base. For example my boyfriend's going into the air force. We could live off base together but we wouldn't be able to live on base together unless we were married. Also I feel like being approved for adoption would be much easier if you're married rather than with your life partner

• but then isn't that where civil partnerships come in? and can't you write someone into your will? also family only applies to friends life partners too, even friends.
      and I though gay people aren't allowed to join the military?

• Yeah, the next of kin argument is one of the most important ones. Lots of gay couples have had to deal with that awful scenario and it's just plain not fair.

You could have a gay couple that has been living together in a monogamous, committed relationship for over a decade and if one of them gets into a terrible accident and is in a coma, and they are not close with their family (which many homosexuals, unfortunately, are not due to religious issues with their families), their partner will not be allowed into the room to see them because only next of kin are allowed and, in that situation, IF the family was there and allowed it, they could come in, but if the family does not like them, or is not there, or does not grant permission on the comatose partners behalf, they won't be allowed in there.

Can you imagine how painful it must be to not be able to be there for the person you love? I wouldn't wish that on ANYONE.

• @Sarah413 I don't think I could handle it. I would go crazy!

Most Helpful Guy

• Same legal rights my friend. What if someone dies? To the law they're just roommates. What if someone wanted to hold the hand of their partner as they died? Hospitals only accept family members into the room of the patient. What if one served in the military? What if one wanted the same legal rights? How would taxes be handled?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQIIwddt3N4

watch this documentary called Bridgegroom. See how much of a nightmare it was for a gay couple when tragedy struck. It might illuminate some of the issues they face without legal rights as a couple.

What Girls Said 14

• Why do straight couples need to get married? To share insurance, property and other legal tangibles. It's the exact same.

• Why does anyone choose to get married?

One stupid little story: I'm friends with B and W, a lesbian couple. W had an allergic reaction and went into anaphylactic shock. B was terrified she'd never see W alive again; W was terrified she was dying and wanted nothing more than to have a loving familiar face and someone to hold her hand. Hospital wouldn't let B into the room until W was stabilized and could speak again and express her desire to have B there, by which time the worst part, the part when they most needed to be together, had passed. If the same thing happens to a legal family member, you're allowed to be together (unless it interferes with the medical team.) It was a pretty traumatic night, and that's when I started thinking same sex couples needed the right to make their relationships legal.

• DPAHC, that even applies to engaged couples.
      Also civil partnership?

• It's the same reason straight people need to get married. Even if you see it as a legal contract for the rights of the children, people in same sex marriages have children too. People in same sex marriage can also be religious. Plus, if you were denied marriage whilst you had to hear about people getting married by someone dressed as Elvis in Vegas, whilst drunk and only knowing each other for less than 24 hours, then you're going to be pretty insistent on getting the right to marriage too :)

• I'm sorry but I've never seen a religious gay couple before...

but why would you envy something a bad decision because lets face it, getting married in vegas while intoxicated is a very bad decision. shouldn't you envy something more meaningful.

and isn't that more like "how come they can have it but we can't" shouldn't there be a meaningful reason?

• Which is why you don't kill yourself if they do that.

What if you're attracted to young teens? See how that argument falls apart?

• If they want help for that, then they shouldn't be judged.

And no it doesn't fall apart because it's a separate issue. Homosexuality is between two consenting adults. Pedophilia is between an adult and a child - in this relationship the adult is in a position of power over the child due to age and experience, and the child is too young to give consent. Homosexuality doesn't harm anyone (the only thing that harms gay people to do with homosexuality is society's reaction to it ), whilst pedophilia is proven to harm a child's development, self esteem and ability to later form relationships. That is the difference between homosexuality and pedophilia: one hurts no one, one hurts a child who is too young to know better.

But, as I said, if the pedophile seeks help for their condition, then they shouldn't be judged, they should be treated fairly and given the help that they need.

• Insurance is incredibly expensive. Two domestic partners could each be paying $300+ a month for insurance, whilst a married couple would only be paying $300 for themselves and then, the family add on of $20 to $200. A total of $320-$500 as opposed to $600. Those are just rough estimates. also makes a huge difference in tax deductions. being married is significantly cheaper.

• but then that would mean two friends could marry to avoid paying tax. they don't even need a wedding or ceremony
      just a quick trip to an office, sign some papers and save money.

• Ok, I see, thanks for your answer!

• Hope that explains a bit.

• They are human with same feelings as a guy and girl... marriage is not just a piece of paper it Is a lot more than that...

• like what?

• It is a bond.. which shows two people are serious to spend their life with each other. They are not fooling around they signed a legal contract...

• thats it?

• Why do straight people who are not religious and don't intend to have children need to get married? Because they want to, and as two consenting adults, the have the right to bid their lives by a legal contract. Simple as that.

I'm not religious and I never want to have children, but I would still like to get married.

• **right to BIND their lives.

• but then whats civil partnership?

• Not the same as marriage.

• Why do straight people have to get married?
    Us not marrying type find that disgusting!!

Jk but seriously it's a right everyone should have. Me I don't get marriage one bit I don't like it for myself personally does that me I'm going to ask people
    (not just gay people but straight people also)
    "why are you even married you could have been in love without that contract that connected you both"

• but if everyone should have the right, why isn't polygamy allowed? that's not really fair.

• Read these:
      www.tfpstudentaction.org/.../...st-be-opposed.html

www.frc.org/.../ten-arguments-from-social-science-against-same-sex-marriage

www.marriageresourcesforclergy.com/.../...s007.htm

Not that I agree with them but you see my point.
      I think if gay couples can marry, so should polysemous people.

• www.medicaldaily.com/study-finds-same-sex-couples-make-better-parents-it-because-theyre-more-prepared-291628
      www.livescience.com/...advantages-gay-parents.html
      It throws their argument to the side about gay people making bad parents

And for people who want to become polygamist sure they can if there is an investigation done on it for example.
      Is the bride to be of legal consenting age?
      Is there someone in the interview with her who might be coursing her into choosing their path.
      Does this girl know that there is another world out there that does not demand she marry someone older then her who already has several wives.
      And psychologically is she able to comprehend what marriage is.
      If they are adults and they go into this relationship structure cool but if they went into it and they show signs of cult like following then I am not for it it's horrible and shouldn't at all be condone. I don't even know why you compared polygamist marriage to gay marriage, there are not the same. It's like back in 1967 when they made Interracial marriage legal when people fought against it they did not have facts they just threw around a bunch of bullshit.

• I think they just wanna be able to do what everyone does. Also, some people dream about having a marriage because it's very romantic and stuff.

• It's for the same reason heterosexual couples get married.

• Not the exact same reasons but sure I guess

• But a homosexual relationship is very different from a heterosexual relationship.

• Yes, it is. But, if they love each other and want to give their relationship a name... a legal name. Then I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

One of my friend (on GAG) is gay. He says that he wantd to get married when he meets his perfect guy. He wants to invite their friends and family to their family cause it's the biggest day of his life ( just like heterosexual couples). They want to have a special day. Their memorable day
      If you fell in love with a girl, you would want to get married to her right?
      So. It's the same for homosexual couples, they want to get married cause they love each other. Also, they get many benefits from marriage like insurance

• Why do users under 18 allowed to have a g@g acc?

• It's not one yet ignorant. It would be nice two people getting married gay or not I mean that's there big day. For them to vote gay rites marriages over people having abortions for birth control killing babies so they can have there selfish rights back is terrible. Your right being with the one you love is worth more than just having bills with both your name's on them lol.

• Two words: Legal rights.

• Some people want that " piece of paper" to prove they are committed to each other for life.. getting married is meant to signify their love for one another. It's a symbol of their love... for the rest of their lives.

• but why'd do they then parade over it, the piece of paper? or to signify their love, you don't really see straight people doing it...

• My friend did... she is not gay.

• straight pride?

• Everyone has the right to love and get married if they want. Its not always an obligation to get married some people want to get married and why shouldn't everyone?

• no, only a few groups of people should be allowed to marry, not everyone.

• wouldn't

• Regardless of how some people are treated, I'd don't think it's fair that poligamy is not allowed.

What Guys Said 14

• I'm a st8 guy, so I probably will be wrong, but I have a theory on this I deduced a long time ago before gay marriage existed. And my answer derives from a question I had...
    Why do women want to get married?
    ... commitment is what some people are after. If you want some commitment that has consequences... a legal commitment such as marriage comes into play.

• Why does anyone get married? Usually there's a loving bond that the couple thinks is going to last. Kids may enter into it but gay couples have kids too so they need to be married for legal purposes.

• Well one doesn't need to marry, People only want to marry. I'm not pansexual or anything I'm straight becuase women meet my hearts desire I dont control it women are who I like.
    My best friend Mikey is gay, he's just like me except he likes boys even though he is a boy. He doesn't choose to like boys he just does naturally and accepts that.
    It dont matter weather you like boys, girls, or both we are all people and everyone is different.

For example I'm a playstation gamer. more than 10 of my friends prefer xbox
    but that doesn't make me a different :)

• The same reasons heterosexual couples get married.

As a person who finds marriage just legal documents, I apply that mentality to both hetero and homo sexual people. I understand why they do, but it's not for me.

• Because they love each other just the same as a straight couple and want to spend the rest of their life together as husband and husband/wife and wife.

• It's for the same reason that hetero couples "need" to get married. Gay couples want the same benefits that are available to hetero couples. I don't see why they shouldn't. It's not like it takes something away from anyone else - a spouse is a spouse. Whether a guy marries a woman or another guy, his spouse would be entitled to certain benefits.

• Spousal benefits that I pay for since I am self-employed, straight, white, male, and Christian with no kids.

• I don't have a problem with it.. Now they can pay child support and alimony just like everyone else.

• Can't you just apply this notion to marriage in general... why single out the gay community

• because some straight people get married for religious reasons etc

• The whole adam and eve thing is about incest... I just threw that in there for sh*ts and gigs.

• but even if you believe in evolution, it'd still be incest.
      but you are in control of your actions what if its a test for those people and they're all failing? who knows/

• I think it's less they' need to get married but more just they'd want to be able to. Like its More the principle of the government acknowledging it rather than actual getting married. Though a lot do want to get married

• I guess because they want access to their partners pension, social security, transfer of property after death, tax benefits and shit like that.

• For the same reason straight people want to marry.

• And what would that be?

• Same reason heteros do. It's cheaper

• I don't understand why anybody needs to get married. What do midieval rituals and legal proceedings have to do with love?