What do you think is the most important thing when it comes to marrying someone?

I think compatibility. Looks, sex, personality are great but if you can't make it work out, nothing else matters. What do you guys think?

Most Helpful Guy

• While sex and looks are important, I would say it's a cross between personality and compatibility.

I agree with you.

What Guys Said 7

• Two words: Communication skills.
    It sounds strange at first but communication skills are extremely important for any functioning relationship and unfortunately, they're often neglected by people looking for a long-term partner. The reason why communication skills are particularly important to be is because my mother is a psychologist/therapist and has thus taught me good communication. When I get to know new people, communication skills are an extremely important factor for me (whether it's just buddies or a potential girlfriend). By that I don't mean that you should be each other's therapist or kill every topic by having endless discussions but I absolutely need a partner who knows how to explain themselves, who is willing to discuss problems or difficult situations (instead of just walking away and being sulky) and who I can have good fights with. Because many people don't know that fighting can actually be a one thing. I love to be challenged by my girlfriend in a fight, to be thrown at with great arguments. And I need to be able to fight with somebody without it turning ugly (calling names, violence etc.). I need a partner that is willing to tell me even about her most secret sexual desires and who can tell me about potential difficult moments in her childhood. I need a girlfriend who will say "let's talk about it and solve this" if I happen to cheat on her or she happens to cheat on me. I strongly believe that practically ALL problems in a relationship can be solved if both people are willing to work them out. But in order to do that, you absolutely must talk to each other and in order to do that, you need to be able to both talk well and listen well.

Apart from communication skills, I believe it's the mix that makes it perfect. I don't think you should have exactly the same personality or exactly the same interests but you should definitely share some stuff. For example my girlfriend's character is very similar to mine in some aspects but it's also quite different in others. She finds some of the things I like to do very fun/interesting and there are others that she doesn't care much about (and vice versa). Such a mix is great because it makes you understood and you feel like you have something to talk about and at the same time, it makes the other person different and therefore interesting. You can always find out something new about them. Sex is only important in terms of similar sex drive in my opinion. Everything else can be adjusted to.

• Whether the love in the relationship is going to be for real ,
    I think great personality really does matter lot , not big on looks

• Compatibility is pretty vague

What does that even mean?

• Compatibility is a result of two personalities, so I wouldn't say that personality doesn't matter.

• Synergy. To me the more moments of mutual understanding we share is what motivates me to be closer to you.

• The ability to maintain a respectful attitude in an intimate relationship. This is absolutely key and few people are capable of it.

• What you said. If everything's fine but you and your partner just don't get along like friends, then there's no point.

What Girls Said 2

• I agree 100%.

Even if people don't agree on everything, in the end they have to be able to settle their differences and love each other. If differences can't be reconciled then there is no relationship.

Sex and looks are great buffers, security is too. But people need to be able to relax and appreciate the other person and not secretly resent their partner.

• Yeah that.

Similar views,
    Similar/same purpose / goal in life.