Do you think your parents will help out with your wedding budget?

Is it tradition, thus expected?
Do you hope they do or are you the type who wants to pay for everything herself/himself?

Piggybacking on an opinion from my old question (you know who you are)
http://www.girlsaskguys.com/marriage-weddings/q1578360-what-s-your-ideal-wedding

• It's tradition that they pay for the whole wedding.
  • It's tradition that they help out a little.
  • I don't know, but I hope so.
  • (I would decline if asked.) It's my wedding so I'm going to pay for it.

Most Helpful Guy

• In my culture you have to pay for the whole wedding I mean the man does and your parents won't help you pay for it if you can't afford it in our culture then you are not worthy of getting married.

Most Helpful Girl

• I wouldn't expect my mother to pay for my wedding. Our career paths are very different, and she will make considerably less than me. Besides that, I would never ask her to sacrifice in order to pay for my wedding.

It would be sweet, if she could pay for one thing, maybe my veil or something bouquet. But I wouldn't expect her to pay for my wedding.

What Guys Said 8

• I won't ask them and most likely will decline if they offered, it's my wedding, I pay for it (and my future wife too). My parents have already spent too much money for me to be in the US, money I plan to return, at least half of it, I don't want them to keep paying for me.

• You're parents are lucky ^^ Some children think it's a right that their parents spend money on them.

• Not when the kid is over 18, plus, I like to be independent, and I've always told them that, so it'll be hypocritical and against my morals to ask them for money when something is expensive.
      I kinda feel bad now that they're paying for college, so I would feel even worse if I ask them to pay for my wedding.

• Well, some parents don't mind spending on their children no matter how old they become, they're still their children. If that still makes you feel bad, you could see it as an investment on their part. Maybe you will even pay everything back with a shark loan rate xD

• I voted D.. My parents have helped me enough over the years and I'd feel guilty asking them for even a penny more. I've even told them I'd help them redo the interior of their house when I'm done with college. I'm just the kind of person that has to pay everyone back even if the other person doesn't want or expect me to.

• they'll probably offer but I got that shit under control.

• if i ever decided to get married probably so my parents always have my back however i dont really want to get married id have to be 100% certain she isn't going to divorce me or cheat on me or take me to the clears in some way etc etc etc im completely open to a life long relationship but even then they have things like "palimony" where you cn get allimony from a boyfriend girlfriend.

• In my culture the girls side of the family pays for the wedding so I'm set!

Ha-ha no but in south Asian weddings its usually the dad that pays, but the groom can chip in too I suppose!

• The dad of the bride or the the dad of the groom?

• No I mean worldwide!

• Ah. That's of course true.

• I'm 60 years old and, if I get married again, ain't nobody paying for it but me.

• It's a tradition but mostly the wedding is on the wife and her parents

• Don't let your parents or his control your wedding. ALWAYS REMEMBER, that YOU TWO are getting married... NOT ANYONE ELSE! Too many couples go crazy trying to please their families and others. Everyone should be trying to do things the way YOU TWO want!

• Do you lose control of your wedding if your parents pay for it?

• Normally, you will definitely lose control. Please don't let that happen!

What Girls Said 18

• I think my parents will probably pay for a good portion of it. If I marry my current boyfriend, which I hope I do, then his parents will likely help out as well since they're rich and he's an only child. Then we would cover the rest.

• It's a tradition that they help out, I am sure that my parents would offer financial help and even get mad if I refused their help. Thus I would let them help me by organizing little things like doing the invitation cards and such.
    I'd rather save up for the rest and then be proud of myself. I am sure that'd feel amazing :)

• It's traditional for them to do so, but I don't want them to pay for anything. Maybe the bar as a wedding gift. If you allow people to for pay things for your wedding, they get to dictate how the wedding should be.

• "they get to dictate how the wedding should be." Is that so? I thought the loving parents only hand over the money 😰

• Oh no, honey. You put forward the $$$ and you get a say. No thanks. None of that. My wedding is MY wedding.

• My sister is getting married on the 15th and my mom has been a big help. We have different dads. Her dad hasn't been that much of a help. I can only hope that when it's my turn, both my parents can help.

• I would not expect them to pay a penny. Why should they? I want them to spend their money on having an awesome retirement. When I get married I want to be in a financially secure place so I don't see why I wouldn't be able to pay for it. Plus, I don't plan to spend a huge amount on it.

• Parents pay for the whole ceremony, including gifts and other things.

:)

Unless they are unable to pay.

I think I am still gonna save some for mine.

• Well, my brothers and my dad will probably offer but I don't want their money. Their presence will be enough for me, that's what will make me happy

• by the way, Bubbles!!! This first time I've seen your picture, you're very gorgeous :)

• Stop exaggerating! I can't handle it anymore 🙈
      The secret is to use a crappy old phone camera to make horrible quality pics and filter the shit out of it xD

• I swear I'm being honest 😳😳 Guess, you got great genes, haha :) :)

• If I get married I plan on spending about $100 so I don't really need their money. I guess if they really insist they can but I'd probably just tell them we're fine.

• I'm expecting me and my future spouse to pay for it. If our parents decide to foot the bill that would be awesome! As long as they can afford it.

• I will take care of it myself

• it's a tradition. but if i end up marrying my current boyfriend, they probably won't pay for a thing.

• my parents, well my dad, wants to pay for my wedding but no thanks! haha

• I don't believe in marriage, but if I did, I would pay for it myself.

• I would try to avoid my mother paying anything in my wedding.

• i think they will help

• In my family there's suppose to be money set aside for the daughters' wedding.

• I don't want a wedding, but if I did I would not want my mom to pay for it.

• I think for my parents it will be a matter of pride for them that they contribute. Luckily it wouldn't be a strain on them since they're quite well off. Still, I'd go into it assuming my future-husband and I will cover all of it, but if my parents really want to pay for my dress, or the venue or something I'll let them.