In the US, now that gay marriage is legalized, shouldn't polygamy be legalized as well?

Since "love wins" now, why can't it be win universally?

• Yes, it should be
  • No, it shouldn't be

Most Helpful Guy

• Exactly marriage equality.

What is the definition of marriage now? Two consenting adults? Well by that logic, why can't a man consent to marriage with separate women? Two separate adults. Man A and Woman A. Man A and Woman B

Or for women. Woman A and Man A. Woman A and Man B. And so on and so forth for homosexual polygamy.

And people said the slippery slope logic is "retarded" and "bigoted"

What Girls Said 6

• If two grown ass people want an open marriage who am I to stop them. It makes them happy and doesn't hurt anyone. For some monogamy is not what their marriage needs

• As long as everyone involved is an adult and agrees with it, I don't see why they can't live the life they want.

• Why not? If something dumb like gay "marriage" can be legal then let people take on multiple spouses. Besides its not your business if I want to take on 5 husbands. We are consenting adults.

• As long as everyone are consenting adults, I don't see why not.

• Hahaha good luck with that.

• It should be legalized but you really shouldn't compare it to gay marriage.

• People marry people now into the US for citizenship... I still dont see the problem...

• Of course you don't because you'd be the one benefiting

What Guys Said 12

• Gay marriage and polygamy are not synonymous. Whether gay or traditional marriage, it is still one + one = married COUPLE.

(Polygamy has even been banned by the Mormans.)

• I dont get your viewpoint. Everyone in a polygamous marriage aren't married to each other. If I marry Gina and Lisa, Gina and Lisa don't become married to each other. They are each separately married to me; each as one + one = married to me. And what weight do Mormons have on the grand scale of the face of the nation?

• I'd swear my loyalty to both. And no it isn't. Polygamy is 1+1 & 1+1. A threesome is 1+1+1. Loyalty can be compromised. And feelings depend on the individual not assumptions. I see the Mormon reference but I don't get what strength they would have in determining overall if its something that would stand nationwide or not.

• Where is polygamy practiced in the world today? How is it working there? What are the pros and cons?
      That's where you can start to research and draw some conclusions.

• Polygamy exists already, with all the baby-mamas and baby-daddies. Who cares, but the kids? And they learn to use the situation.

• Sure as long as they're consenting adults. As long as they're not hurting or taking advantage of anyone. I think it would be a nightmare to legally implement though.

• Makes sense. I mean who are you to judge how many people a person can love.
    Still I don't think it's going to be legalized anytime soon, it's frowned upon too much like the early 90s where the very mention of homosexual disgusted people.
    They do it in the middle east don't they.

• Yes, polygamy should be legalized, as should incest and bestiality. And, yes, I'm being serious.

• incest... you ok fam?

• So you see absolutely nothing wrong with want to have sex with your biological 100% blood sister?

• When did I say I saw nothing wrong with it? There are many acts that I think are morally wrong but that I think should not be illegal.

• It's difficult to perceive a logical basis for treating the two situations differently.

• Yes, it probably should. I'd guess there might be a few legal issues (things like benefits, inheritance, etc might get complicated with three people), but ethically speaking, I see no problem, as long as everyone knows what they're getting into.

• nah fam nope... you get me fam?

• I'm worried about the legalisation of paedophilia that some are trying to push through

• No reasonable sane person would EVER legalize something that ridiculously disgusting.

• Well if you're American, how does that affect you? Notice how I specified what nation I was concerned with...

• I'm not American but I think Gay marriage right would give a stronger case for polygamy but it lacks wide social acceptance currently, but with the rise of open relationships some might want to look at it when married instead if cheating and the cost of divorce that follows

• I had no idea it was illegal.

• Absolutely, but not only polygamous marriage, but also polyamorous marriage.
    In polygamy a man takes many wives (polygyny) or a woman takes many husbands (polyandry). So it's just an extension of traditional marriage.
    In polyamory everybody is connected to everybody, for example straight husband with two bisexual wives or straight wife with two bisexual husbands etc. So it would have to be possible for 3 or 4 people to marry at the same time.

• Girls already sleep around with 20 guys by age 20 so why not.