What is an appropriate amount of time to be dating someone before proposing marriage?

I know it can vary, but I want to know what other people think.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it's when you know you're with the right lerson and that's the life you want. I also think that as people get older, the amount of time it takes to know these things can be a lot smaller. You'll notice a lot of the ones saying like 5 years are in their late teens early twenties, and at that age I felt the same way, and I think that's good because if you start dating at that age, you're gonna change a lot in the next several years so you should be able to change together if you're gonna get married to that person. But by the time you're pushig thirty you're more sure of who you are and what you want in life, so it may not take as long to know if the person you're with is someone you want to build you life with or not.

I've been with my boyfriend for 7 months and while I'm not at thw point where I'm looking for a proposal, I woulf say yes if he did, but make it a longer engagement. I woulf be very surprised though if he did and a bit caught off guard. However, once we're past the year mark I would be a bit less surprised and definitely would say yes. I won't start really expecting it til year two though, and by that point we'll be living together full time and likely will have seriously discussed marriage already. Right now we spend 4 of 7 nights a week together and would like to be living together, but where our jobs are located and where the house he owns is makes it difficult. I don't currently have a car and his mortgage term isn't up for another year. If I moved in where he is now I would need to buy a car and my commute would be really long. And he can't sell his place without penalty til his term is up. So for now, I essentially live there on weekends but stay at mt apartment due in the week, and he spends Sunday and Wednesday nights at my place.

What Guys Said 10

• I think it depends on how certain you are about the person who does it. If you feel happily in love and inseparable well after the "honeymoon stage" of your relationship then marriage should be just around the corner. I think a realistic time frame may vary from a few months to a few years. As long as it's not done within weeks then I think any amount of time should be appropriate so as long as you feel a strong emotional connection with that person and you are compatible.

• I am a very cautious person, and my worst fear is being divorced and getting everything taken away from me. So i wouldn't evn consider marrying a girl unless i had been wuth her for 5 years AT THE VERY LEAST. - and that's if i ever DO get married (which I'm not so sure about anymore)

• People who study relationships say that for most couples it takes about 18 months to know someone through 'thick and thin'. So not before then.

• I say 3 years and some fights. If you change make it that long with some murky waters, you cons make it longer (usually).

• I would give it about a 2 years cause i want be sure i am with the right girl

• A couple years, wait for the oxytocin to wear off.

• about 20 minutes

• That's not an easy question to answer. It varies from couple to couple.

• Before the woman is 30, of course

• For a desirable man, the answer is never, but for everyone else, I'd say 1 - 2 years.

What Girls Said 9

• I would like to think after 3 years, but that's just me. I feel as if you need to completely know that person inside and out, and considering it's 2015 where a lot of people move in prior to getting married more often, I wouldn't move in with someone without dating them for about 2 years or more.. etc. x

• I think at least two years is a good amount of time for most people. But I've been with my boyfriend for only 1 year now and I would readily say yes if he asked. But we've also known each other for about 5 years now, haha.

• I'd want to be with someone for two years before I thought about proposing or wanted to be proposed to. I've been with my boyfriend now for just under four years.

• I dated my first husband exactly 1 year before we said I do. I dated my current fiancĂ© 4 months before we moved in together and 9 months before he proposed. I've NEVER been happier. We're getting married October 2016!!

• I think you should date for at least 5 months before you propose to that person.

• I want 5 years as a girlfriend before I'll say yes to marriage

• I want to wait at least 4 years.

• I think 2 years is a good enough time to know if you want to be with that person or not.

• I'd say depends on what we've been through. It's really what the situation and events that has happened and how long they've known each other. I always thought at least 3 years with some fights. But my husband and I got married at 2 years because of the events showing us the very lowest of what we could reach and we still made it so we didn't care. And in terms of people we know, that's forever for them.