Is 19 years old a good age to get married?

My girlfriend is 19 years old and we've been together for 2 years. I'm older than her but we don't take age gap seriously. The point is she just give birth to our son and i feel that we are really close now and kinda feel that she's the right one for me. She moved in with me and i have a good income and i can take responsibility and support the baby and be there for her. I'm planning on taking that step but I'm worried it's going to be too much for her or something. I really want to marry her and start a real family as a married couple

• just do it! she's a mature woman
  • don't! she can't get married now
Guys I'm 22 and she's 19 years old

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, you have a son, right?
    And if you are seeing each other always and each day (lol) why not to get marry?
    I think... Well, you're so close (as you said) and you say you have the best for her and the baby so.. Do it! Now it doesn't matter the age gap cus'... You have a son! But well... Get marry if you want it :DDD

Most Helpful Guy

• The average age for marriage has been climbing. But there are still lots of people your age who get married. It's true that some of them get married too young and it doesn't work out. But many do work out. I know several couples who started going together in high school, or even middle school, and they are still together with kids and grand kids.

One thing you can do is take a look at the reasons why the age of marriage is increasing. Well, I admit that I don't know, so I'm guessing based on other things I know, and what I've seen. First thing I'll point out is that age of first marriage varies considerably around the world. It varies from late teens to early 30s. That's an average, so obviously the range is much larger.

So what does that tell me? It tells me that there's a large cultural component. It says that in a society with a young age for marriage, people prepare for it and are mentally ready for it at a younger age. In a society where the age is much older, people just don't think about it and prepare for it as early. You see the same things historically.

So how does that answer the question. Well, it's just saying it depends on the person, where they are in life, how well prepared they are mentally, socially, financially, responsibly, etc. It's not an absolute that this age or that age is old enough.

It sounds to me like you've thought this through. You already have a child together. You have a decent job and can support the child. You said 2 years difference, so she's 17? That's young, but all the same things apply. Where are you at in your life? Where is she at? How will this affect your lives? You already have the child together, and that can't change. That's a big part of the equation that can't be ignored.

You also have to consider the other side of the equation. What if you don't get married? What happens with your relationship? How will that affect the child?

I don't know the answer. I can't possibly in good conscience say what you should or should not do. I would only say to think hard about it. Be as honest with yourself as you can. No playing weird games in your head to bias your thought - we all do that, but try to avoid it. Don't jump in prematurely without some long thought and long discussions with her. This is a very important decision, for you, for her, and especially for that child. Give the decision the thought and time that it deserves.

• I'm not 19 that's her age I'm older than that

• Thanks man

• Sorry, I just took a quick glance at the age as I wrote it. Then I saw the 2 years and thought that was the age difference. I did read everything the first time through though.

What Girls Said 13

• No. No no no no. I married at 18. I am a COMPLETELY different person now and so is he. We divorced after ten years of marriage. 19 is just too young. IMHO.

• Tbh I think. Your both too young. Sure you've been in a relationship for a couple years and yes you have a child but I think it's too soon. I think for both of you you need to mature a bit and fall into who you are as adults. Not that you guys aren't mature but as in adults. you're still so young. I'd wait til your like 25 ish before you get married. By then if your still together you will know it's worth it. You don't have to be married to have a family. Of course it's nice that way but make sure your ready before you do. Marriage is forever not just because you have a child together or have been together x amount of time it's because you want to spend your life with that person through it all. Just make sure your ready to take that step before you take it.

• That's super young, in my opinion. My grandmother got married at 17 and said that she married too young.

Why do you need to get married? You already have a kid. You're living together. What does a fancy piece of paper change about your family?

• I think 19 this to young to get married. What's the rush anyway? If she is the one for you now. Then she should still be the one in a few years time.

How long have you been living together?

• A year

• I'd leave it a couple of years. There should be no rush. If you are both happy now then marriage won't going change things between the two of you.

• I don't know if it will end well.

Thought my parents got married at the age of 19 and have been together for 39years now. So who knows.

• If she has a child - then she should be married.

• A baby changes things in a relationship. Wait until the baby is at least a few months old and see what happens. trust me.

• That would be up to her but if you're going to be together forever what's the big deal in waiting a few years?

• You might as well. You've got a kid and you're living together. I have a friend who got married that young. She and her husband are fine.

• supporting the baby will take a lot of money... do you two have anyone that can help with support? or at least help you watch the baby?

• 19 is too young.

• Married=forever. If you really really love her, just being with her should be enough (for now). Forever is a long time, don't rush it.

• It all depends on your situation and relationship, you could be ready, but a lot of people change when they grow. I met my first partner when I was 17 and we were together for 7 years and had two children, it took a while for me to realize we were unhappy because we had grown apart, we fell in love with the teenage version of ourselves and when we grew into adults we grew into very different people. We were supposed to be married, but as sad as it is, it's probably better we didn't.
    It's a big decision, just make sure this is someone you will grow with even when times get rough. I wouldn't suggest getting married just so you can start a REAL family, you guys are already a family if you have a child together. But if you feel it's the right thing to do in your situation and you feel she is truly someone you see yourself being with even when times get really shitty, then do it.

What Guys Said 16

• That's the age that people USED to get married so if you wanna go the old route and settle down early , heyy why not?
    If you want to accumulate a bit more wealth and power first before committing to your family life , that work as well.

• yes the right moral thing is to get married because your kid deserves 2 parents as husband and wife which if lasts till u die is permanent! Of course u are doing things backward by having a kid then marrying after but that's the past! Now u have a kid his future is in your hands so love each other no matter the bad rough times u will have stick together don't separate divorce but love each other love your kid he will see u love each other a husband and wife not just a mom and dad ok?

• You had sex with her, and now you have a child together. You got your priorities backwards, but the RIGHT thing the good thing for her, and for you, and for your son is to marry her, and be monogamous with one another. That is, by far, the best thing you can do for yourself at this point in life.

Do it.

• Don't rush it Big Fella, you seem so sure but don't take things too far. Personally, I think 19 is too young and there is a long of things you two still need to work out and that can only happen in time. Its been said below and I couldn't agree more, you two are already functioning as a married couple, what is a piece of paper going to do to change that? There is no need to rush the inevitable

• Forget her being too young, you're way too fucking young! Why throw your life away like that over a 2 year relationship? You don't know her well enough, mate; She doesn't know you well enough, and not to mention.. YOU'RE ONLY 22.

Stay with her, experience her more, really see if she's worth signing your life over to the gov't for. There are so many women on the planet, dude; There is no such thing as 'the one', because one may be more the one than the one is the one.

• My mother had a masters degree, married at 23 and clearly wasn't mature enough at that age.

• I think 19 is much too young, hell she's not even finished her education, let alone had a chance to enjoy life... but then it's far worse a time to have a sprog than be getting married.
    Since you have got the cart you might as well get the horse.

• I think its young but ultimately its her decision. For all you know she wants to get married too. If she doesn't then you go from there. You are the father of her child. You will be a part of her life no matter what. I sincerely doubt that things will go poorly for you if you do end up asking.

• Too early.. Way too early

• No. Waaaaaaayyyyyyyy too early.

• Too early man.

• ladmosphere.com/.../DOIT.png

Just choose for yourselves, I would say it's too early but I'm not you.

• what about a long engagement?

• Bruh don't get married. You are gonna hate yourself.

• that's not older. i have a friend who married at that age.

• I think no but if you and she want this np mature or something.