Should I forgive my husband for this?

Last night, my husband and I got into a pretty heated argument. He ended up calling me a whore and stupid bitch. I am so hurt. He's never called me those names before. He still hasn't apologized but we really haven't been talking either. We've been having other problems but I am really contemplating divorce after this. We've been married for ten years and have two small children. If we didn't have kids, I would have left a while ago from all the other things that have happened. I'm just so scared to be a single mother and I never wanted my kids to go through a divorce. I also remember my father being abusive towards my mother growing up and told myself I would never put up with that. I just don't know if I should forgive him for this.

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't know if I'll get hate for saying this but who contemplates divorce because someone called you a bad word.

Yes, what he said was wrong and hurtful, but it was also in the middle of a heated argument and not everyone can keep filtering themselves when they're in a screaming match. Give him time to apologize and see where it goes from there.

No wonder divorce rates are through the roof, everyone thinks marriage is a fairy tale but guess what? It's not! There are plenty of bad times that you have to be willing to fight through. He made a mistake, now you talk about it and move forward. It's not like he hit you or cheated on you, those would be real reasons to get a divorce.

Most Helpful Girl

• It sounds like things are getting Worse in Denmark here, dear, and the topping to the not so sweet cake was when he threw these Horrendous names your way. This is telling me that even in his Heat of Anger, he doesn't have any respect for you.
    Do some soul searching about this being married for 'Ten years' and possibly Not counting. He Isn't happy, you are even More Miserable and it isn't a healthy environment for not only the two of you but for the children as well to have to endure.
    You both need to sit down when the smoke has cleared some. I smell a smoking gun in Dodge and talking this out and coming to some compromise, some sort of decision, Needs to be made, Needs to be Addressed and even if it is for the sake of the Children that you both Stay, It cannot be left on the back burner to continuously boil over and over.
    Perhaps First a Break from one another might be a good solution. Maybe you could leave for awhile to go with the kids to a friends, to your Folks or maybe he could go for awhile. You both need to talk it out, and with a Break instead of a Breakup at this given moment, might help in deciding what is right to do for Everyone concerned.
    Good luck. xx

What Guys Said 7

• Yes any husband does this stuff i think it's out of term
    but i think when you have small kids involved it's hard to divorce
    i believe men need to walk away when things get that heated
    when there is lack of love in any relationship than it's best to
    double think lot of things i can not imagine myself putting a
    woman through hell after all the stuff my dad and mother went
    through she cheated on him and than he cheated on her
    they divorced 1994 and she passed away 9 years later.

• whats next for him to do now? words escalate into actions! he don't respect u he is now abusing u by words no lady deserves to be called! Did he apologize to u by calling u these offensive names? whats the next level now? how about separating for now if u can afford it let him think awhile about what he called u treating u like this so maybe he will regret his words apologize to u and make sure he is genuine not faking it?

• When people are angry they say things without thinking. I'm sure that he didn't mean what he said.

• Lay everything out on the line to him by saying that you don't appreciate being disrespected in this manner!

• I wouldn't If he said it once, he may say it again

• write down a list of all the good things about him and make another list on all the bad things, which ever list is longer should help you gauge things

• before you divorce, or anyone for that matter, go get couples counseling.

What Girls Said 8

• I wouldn't forgive him. You don't name call in a healthy relationship. No matter how mad you are. I would at least have a talk about how he was out of line. He shouldn't be calling you names, no matter how mad.

• try last time.. for your kids.. and ask him to try too..

• I think you should be talking to a professional or someone you're close with instead of asking complete strangers. It really isn't a good idea considering you'll probably get stupid people answering

• I don't think so. I don't believe it's ever favorable to have children in an unhappy environment. How young are they? The divorce shouldn't (didn't for me anyways) hit them hard if they're still young, because they'll grow up used to it.

• Lol, you have mental issues.

• will he let you insult him back?

• So you want your kids to starve to death simply because you can't accept a little verbal hardship. You sound like a horrible person.

• dont forgive him.