Should I break it off after 5 years of being together but no marriage proprosal?

Me and my boyfriend have been together for a little over 4 years (lived together for 3). He has not so much as mentioned marriage.I'm hoping on our 5 year anniversary he may pop the question.

If he doesn't I'm considering breaking it off, maybe just a break, I don't know. I love him very much and only want to be with him but I want to be able to say "this is my husband" It makes me feel as though he doesn't want to make a commitment. or its as though I'm not worthy enough to be his wife?

Can I have anyone else's opinion?And he does know what I want. I have tried to talk to him about it but I don't want to push because I do want it to be special. besides, it shouldn't be something that's pushed! he should ask because he wants to.and if he hasn't asked yet, well, that's why I'm asking this question =)

Most Helpful Guy

• I am going to assume that you and this guy are about the same age and young? If he hasn't mentioned marriage, it's because he isn't ready for that step just yet. Even though you have been together that long.. You still have more time to grow and experience life.

Marriage is a VERY large step in anyone's life and if he values your relationship, then he will take things slow and pop the question when he is ready so that things work out as they should. Not because you force his hand..

If you rush into marriage quickly, it will fail just as quickly.

I don't think this is a valid enough reason to leave him.. And I feel as though you should be more patient with the man that you love and just wait for him to propose. It'll come when it comes.. And you'll have that "forever" for as long as you two are willing to stand side by side, communicate, and work through things together.

What Guys Said 2

• I can't say to just up and break it off. The thing you need to do is find out more about how he feels about where you two might be in the future. I mean you got to know more about what he thinks about the idea of marriage. Five years is enough time to at least entertain the idea to him to find out how similar or different what you want and what he wants is.

• If you are happy together, I wouldn't break up because of this. If you leave him now, he will probably propose to you, but not because he wants to, but because you made him before he is ready.

What Girls Said 3

• i don't think I'd break it off. if you love him then why break up? what's 5 years wait compared to the rest of your life? maybe he just isn't ready or feels like he doesn't have the money to buy everything to prepare for a wedding and things, or has he known a lot of people who've divorced? divorce can really cause men to think a lot about a committment like marriage. at least, I would think some would.

anyways, maybe he just isn't ready. just wait it out. it'll happen when the time's right! :) good luck!

• i would say don't break it off, even if he doesn't ask you.

if he doesn't ask you, he's not ready.

and if you tell him you'll leave him if he doesn't marry you, then he'll marry you against his will and he won't be ready for it. I've watched it happen.

if you really do love him then you can wait, marriage would hopefully last the rest of your life and by forcing it on him you could lose him forever.

• Why don't you pop the question then?

• I've thought about it, but I'm old fashion lol. it just would be the same!! he knows I want to get married,ive mentioned it and he hasn't said much, so I guess he just isn't ready

• I would probably break up with him then.