I am a middle eastern student older than my American professor by one year. Is it OK to propose to her while I am going to work with her for 4 yours?

Actually, I am a new PhD student in her group, and I have really liked her since I got familiar with her personality and moral charachteristics. I mean it is not just a sudden excitation by seeing someone's face and appearance. It is by my familiarity with her personality. But, I do not know if that would be appropriate to propose to her. we are from different cultures, and I am concerned that she might get upset with me. Actually, I am afraid that it might adversely affect our work relationship, so I would appreciate it if someone experienced guided me to know if that would be okay to propose to her? My other concern is our religions. She is jewish, and I am a muslim. So, I was wondering if she might have any religious concerns? That would be great if somebody really familiar with American culture and traditions guided me.
I have to mention that she is fairly shy and a really family-oriented girl.

Most Helpful Girl

• That's such a bad idea, don't do it.

Most Helpful Guy

• Marriage here is very different from your culture. Most people have to be in a relationship for months or years before they'd even consider marriage. You guys aren't in a relationship. Also she's your professor so that would jeopardize both of your careers. Don't do it. Don't ask her out while you're her student.

What Girls Said 1

• Why don't you try asking her out for a date first before jumping the gun and asking going from friends to possibly engaged?

What Guys Said 5

• I don't think she would think any less of you for proposing to her. If that's what you want, and if you're sure that you can take rejection and then work with her for four years, then go ahead. I'm pretty sure most religious people accept people from other religions as their partners. If they limit their search to just one religion, they're very likely to end up alone or with a very bad partner overall.

• Actually you should propose her as long as it is okay with your own parents or you are independent. And no it is better than fooling yourself that work is more important.
    And no being jewish is nothing to worry as long she does not pressure you to change your faith.

• If she respects u and ur relgion then it's okie but did u ask her out or anything u can't just purpose to her at first time where r u from I am an Egyptian

• Possibly could have religious concerns. But you know what man, life is too short to not take risks. If you love her and think she feels the same you should go for it!

• Not ok to flirt with your professor don't even go there