Do you believe that feminists generally make good wives?

Just curious to see what people think

• Feminists generally make for bad wives
  • Feminists generally make good wives

Most Helpful Girl

• I suppose it depends on the type of wife a man is looking for. The term "good wife" depends on the individual person's definition though. Most of the men I know probably would not like to marry a feminist woman, considering they don't agree with modern feminism. So, I think it heavily depends on the guy.

What Girls Said 24

• Seeing as the core belief of feminism is that all genders should be equal, I think feminists would make good wives. Splitting house chores evenly, splitting bills evenly, etc. etc. sounds like a pretty fair and reciprocal relationship to me, though this depends on what your definition of a good relationship is. If you're looking for a wife who would cook your every meal, clean up after you, and take care of the home all on her own, be the primary caregiver of your children, while having a full-time job outside of the home, then I wouldn't think that would align with the beliefs and values of a feminist. I'm not saying that feminists can't be stay at home wives, I definitely know a few, I'm just saying that it's a lot to ask of anyone to have a full-time job and upkeep a household, while taking care of her husband and children. Feminists would probably prefer a relationship in which all of these tasks would be split evenly.

• So, it's fine for them to agree on prenups and not receive alimony without being angry about it. If we truly want to be equals.

• How is feminism for equality? They have never been for equality at any point in there history. Please name one thing they wanted/fought to be equal?

• I'm a feminist, I believe I will be a good wife though I'm not sure I see any correlation between the two :P

• There really isn't one. Just another platform to complain about them.

• @Marstalk our society that only women have not had the right to vote and men have always had it (again despite it not being true). They also ignore why men got the right to vote. They claim that women where treated as property (men not being able to empahtize with them and see them as human beings ie sociopathic behavior) which cannot be proven under any circumstance to be true. When the titanic sank it killed 1358 men and only 100 women because our society places women above men. Women have always had the right to work (we have documents showing female black smiths dating to the 1400s) despite feminist claiming otherwise. Women could not own property if they where married feminst like to point out, but neglect to mention that it was because a man was legally and socially responsible for the women and there fore was required to pay taxes on any and all of her property, which if he had no say in she would keep and then he would be put into prison for not being able to pay the taxes.

• @Marstalk In short, yes feminism has been perpetuating a stereotype of men being sociopathic/psycopathic and women being innocent victims. We traded in the stories where men where the knights in shining armor and women as the damsel in distress for stories where women are the damsel in distress and men are the evil monster who is imprisioning them. As far as statistics go, I believe I am the only one who presented any, plus mine came from multiple sources and third party groups thus reducing the probability of bias which your trying to suggest in order to try (and fail) and dismiss my argument. The truth is the truth, you not liking it, society not liking it in no way changes the fact that it is the truth.

• Normal feminists believe that women should be strong and independent, that the man should not be expected to pay or make most of the money and that the woman should not be staying at home cooking and cleaning and making babies. That men can be as vulnerable or as strong as he wants to be. A feminist recognizes unfairness in society and would always be trying to make situations with her husband fair and equal ones.

Men will shoot down anything to do with women or feminism without even using their fucking brains -_-

• I don't understand how or why being a feminist would make me a bad wife. Also, subjective term central. Define a good wife.

• The normal ones do.
    - just like any other person

Depends on your definition of a wife. If it's someone who married a guy and bore children and works and takes care of everything else 50/50 with her spouse - then you're dead on.

• If the husband want a dumb submissive wife then no because feminist are obviously all about equal rights. If he wants a strong confident woman then hell yeah. She won't take no shit which is by far an awesome woman that knows what she wants and gets it

• You don't have to explain yourself, but then that really doesn't change anything now does it? I don't believe anything except facts and that only so much as they lead to truth. What you do is believe, it is an ideology that you hold as more important then truth because if you didn't you would acknowledge you where wrong or provide evidence that I am. You have done neither, rather you have provided excuses for why you "choose"(ie can't) disprove my statements. All I want is the truth what ever that may be so if you have it then by all means reveal it to me other wise what you are doing is called denial.

• @hellionthesage "I don't care what you call bullshit or me having excuses or being in denial"

• Define your idea of Good Wife first ;)

• I don't get feminists. I know I can do almost anything a guy can but like being treated like a lady and enjoy the more traditional roles we play.

• Feminists do. Not the extreme bra burning ones.
    I don't think there'd be much of a difference between a feminist wife and a non-feminist wife. Both choose to take certain roles in a household to make a family. Just like men do. And it's 2015, old conventions are dead and gone. You no longer have to do things the way your grand parents did to fit social norm.

• I think, since you're not talking about the feminazi kind and whoever is marrying them isn't a total sexist who expects their wife to stay at home and do housework all day, they would make a wife just as good as any non-feminist, duh..

• I have no idea. Some might not because they may make everything about them. Of course some feminists are okay, and I'm referring to the feminazis, soooo.

• a REAL feminist will make a great mother and wife while a RADICAL feminist (or feminazi ) should not spawn tiny humans

• There is no such thing as a real feminist. Feminisms basic belief is that men subjegated women through out all of history (despite ample evidence to the contrary) and as such that men are the enemy. Every time a feminst complains its about men being "sexist"(again despite all evidence to the contrary) So how can one distinguish between a so called "real" feminist and a "radical" feminist if they both hold the same belief structure?

• I'm the one with facts so in that respect yes I am "right" but that isn't a personal opinion its objective reality. Yes my spelling is terrible, but as long as its understood it really doesn't matter since its only function is the transmission of ideas which it apparently has done.

• @hellisonthesage Can you read? I said apparently you are the one who is right around here. I am not disagreeing.

• I think it's very clearly you want the answer to be no right?
    I think a good wife is that, a good wife without the needing to call herself a label. She can be a traditional housewife and a professional wife and still be good.

• "I think it's very clearly you want the answer to be no right?"

Explain. Copy/Paste me the line said which proves this

• I'm just saying because every time there is a feminism debate, it's always to argue about how it's terrible. In reality it would be good if we can all live and be ourselves without labels.

• but to answer the question, if you mean that a woman that wants to work (whether that is just working or in the professional field) will make a good or bad wife... she can be a good wife. It all depends on the person's character and values, not whether she's a feminist or traditional housewife.

• I don't see why not?

• I think it depends on how extreme a feminist she is and also what the man is looking for in a wife.

• Feminism doesn't make or break wife material.

• Of course it does. Feminisms basic tenant is that men are sociopathic by nature. They claim that all men subjegated all women through out all of history and are responsible for all of womens suffering. How would that not affect a long term intimate relationship between a man and a woman?

• I would assume it's a modern relationship rather than traditional, so it depends on the partner.

• sure. why wouldn't they?

• Next should we ask if traditional and conservative men make good husbands? XD

• Feminists are way too about being accepted that they get caught up in the fact that they are fighting for equality, not "I am a woman and should rule the world" bullshit. With the rate that they are going, they should just all become lesbians and date eachother because all they seem to do is hate on men.

• Everyone should be a feminist, it's 2015 for god's sake, why are there still people who don't believe in equality? It obviously depends on the person, but yes, I think being a feminist is a good quality for spouses in general to have. It's definitely a dealbreaker for me that I won't date guys who aren't feminists

• No I don't

• I think the non-extremists would, yes. Most non-extreme feminists want equal rights, and an equal quality of life for everyone, so they want the support from their husband as well as support their husband.
    I like balance, and would want that in a healthy relationship. I am a feminist, but I am not an extremist and I don't hate men. I would like to get married some day, too.

• What equality do women lack? What equality do men lack? So do you believe that men subjegated women? If so how do you reconcile that with not hating men?

• Who would down vote someone who just wants to live a happy, balanced life with the man she loves?

hellionthesage, to answer your question, I think in the western world it's not so bad. I dislike injustices that happen to people who don't have a choice in things, especially in their own life. If they want it, they should try for it. I live happily and comfortably, so I'm not complaining. But there are others in other parts of the world that do not have that luxury.

• You mean like in the middle east? Where entire villages had every male butchered, the only ones to survive being women? Places like that? Or perhaps your reffering to the fact that in many places the man is socially and legally obligated to pay for the woman, to ensure she has a home and food and it doesn't matter what he has to do to get it because if he doesn't he will suffer legal action?(hence males being prioritzed in schools because their the ones who are forced to take care of the family and there wife on there own. A womans money is her own, a mans money is also the womans money) In every place no matter how bad a woman has it, the men are in far worse shape, like for instance in the form of the bacha bazi. So, how can one claim wanting equality by only looking at one side of the issue? And here in the west, women actually have more rights then men, so there is also that.

• Feminists are women who wants to have equal rights right? That means they won't make a good wife. Wifes position is under the husbands and i bet feminist doesn't believe that

What Guys Said 37

• I don't think being a feminist has anything to do with that, unless you're that kind of "feminist" that thinks marriage is something created by a patriarchal society and that being a married is like being a man's slave, you know, all that crap stupid feminazis like to say because they can't get a man.

I believe a REAL feminist can be as good of a wife as a non-feminist.

• A feminist makes a bad wife in the same way a chauvinist makes a bad husband. Modern feminism isn't about equality - it's about superiority.

Feminism was a wonderful thing when it was necessary, but now, the laws are in place for equality, women are now more equal than ever, yet feminism still pushes ridiculous things.

So to me a feminist and male chauvinist are pretty much one and the same.

• Of course they wouldn't. How can some one who whould believe that all men subjegated all women, that they treated there mothers, sisters, and daughters like objects (a sociopathic trait, and despite the complete lack of evidence for this) that they are evil rapist (despite data showing women rape at the same rates)/murderers/ abusers (despite evidence showing that women are more likely to be the abuser in domestic settings, and significantly more likely to abuse and kill children) be a good wife/girlfriend etc?

• Yeah, 'feminists' make good wives but not those radical feminists or 'feminazis'.

• I think most men perceive that feminists are too concerned about their rights as individuals to be concerned about responsibilities to a partnership. I don't know whether that is the way it works in the real world, but I believe that is the common perception.

• I don't think there is any correlation between the two.

• If someone loves the woman enough to marry her, the fact that she's feminist wouldn't really matter tbh.

• I think it really depends on the type of feminist. If per chance you become the beat down and watered out guy because of her than yes. I would prefer someone that would at least keep me on my toes... but not to the extent of where I want to go crazy. As long as me and her get along i really could care less

• Marriage is an institution that is built between two different genders. Notice how i said two "different" genders and not two "equal" people. Marriage has this sense of conservatism in its nature, and feminism's main goal is to fight with that nature.

• Honestly, I think I'd make a terrible wife.

• Depends on the type. With some of them I feel like living with them would be like constantly walking on eggshells.

• Never been married so can't really say. I don't like to generalize whole groups of people.

• Absolutely not. The idea of a strong wife who will raise her voice to me every now and then turns me on, but feminists are not marriage material. I'd rather not be abused by a woman who thinks that it's fine to abuse me just because I'm a man and that I need to pay for what other men do. Wanting a strong, sweet wife who appreciates and respects me is different than wanting a wife that labels herself as a modern feminist and takes out her aggression on me.

• I wouldn't marry one.

• oh hell no

not that a non feminist automatically makes a good wife

but fuck marrying a feminist. Not that I'd marry anyway cus it's for fools only

• I would prefer a modern woman who doesn't call herself a feminist. I can't be with a woman who is too sensitive, and has that many first world problems. I'm not religious, I believe in separate bank accounts and dividing the bills in a fair way, and yeah making the most of life. That would be my ideal girl, one with no drama, and who is just simple to live with and be with. Granted you don't always find everything in a partner, so as long as I'm with her and we generally get along I'd be good.

• I don't know. But I wouldn't marry a feminist just the same way no girl would marry me calling myself a patriarchist. I would prefer all of that shit out of my life quite frankly.

• Feminists, lol.

• Well, I guess since they would probably be more likely to WORK! AND GET MONEY!

• Men shouldn't get married at all. There is NO logical reason to get married. Is it for love? guess what? love is a damn chemical reaction that doesn't last. This is why divorce rates are high.

• Honestly, it would depend what you're into. If you like being controlled, then a feminist wife is definitely for you!

• My wife is a feminist and a great wife, though I am a feminist as well.

• if they can control it and not let it get in the way of things.

• yes. but don't get offended because they're usurping your social positions..

• I wouldn't marry a woman who already defines herself in a way against me.

• That's highly dependent upon the type of feminist you're talking about. And whether or not their particular form of feminism is the type based upon false or misrepresented information, and/or man-haters.

And it depends upon the individual man's attitudes toward those various strains of feminism.

So, I guess it depends.

But bowing to the usage of the common imagery of a feminist and the common image of a man's attitude toward them, I would say that No, most feminists would make poor wives.

• Bad wives they will chop your balls off

• I'm totally ok with one being my wife. She just needs to get me a beer and a sandwich when I tell her!!!

• Some do, some don't.

In general, i voted no. Why?

Because too many of them are clear on what parts of being a traditional wife they don't want, but still want all the perks.

I see this more in north america than in say northern Europe. Northern Europe, from what I see, truly has gone more in the direction feminism was 'meant' to go. Less emphasis on guys being macho, more pushing for paternity leave to be actually used by the male, more true 50/50, more aggressively pushing for NO alimony. So there's a greater expectation that they be partners.

Some women in north america are like that.

Some are feminazis, as people call them.

But a lot are 'soft feminists', who want to split the chores, split the duties at home, but have earnest discussions about whether they'd marry a guy who earned less then them or not (and generally come up with a qualified yes that means in practice they choose a guy who significantly outearns them). They dont' want to split the yard work, they want to pick a job they find satisfying and enriching and act like their husbands job is also one like that, he just magically makes way more and 'focuses too much on work'. They simultaneously complain their husbands should do more chores while complaining they don't have enough money for home improvements.

The traditional women at least are offering a genuine trade off. The feminists - some are offering a true partnership, but a significant portion are not. That's why I voted A.

• Read this take.

• More from Guys
    7