How long do you think you should wait to propose to someone?

How long do you think you should wait to propose to someone? Would you wait a different amount of time depending on the person? Would you move in... Show More

And as a girl would you propose.

Most Helpful Girl

• My husband never proposed to me. I never proposed to him. There was no ring, and no one got on their knees. We just knew we wanted to be together and so got married. I think a proposal is merely saying "I want to spend the rest of my life with you." When you feel that way is when you should propose. There is no set time that it takes to really get to know some one. People are constantly changing and growing. If you can see yourself spending the rest of your life with this person, through thick and thin, whether it takes 6 months or a year or longer to decide this, then go for it. Also, admitting or proposing that you spend the rest of your life together is not the same as getting married... you can be engaged for a long time before the actual wedding/ before getting married. I would say waiting for marriage is more important than waiting for engagement. For marriage you both need to be stable within yourselves (or it is easier if you are). You should have steady jobs and ideally you both should have graduated (and not be in debt... though that is a hard one to swing for many). I was "engaged" for a couple of years at least before getting married. Even after I was married I found out things about my husband that I hadn't really known... at least not in their fullest extent (like I knew he played video games and stayed up late, but I didn't not know that he played as much as he did or stayed up as late as he did)... and we knew each other for almost ten years before tying the knot.