Do you think a lot women have a misconception on having children?

I just feel like they think it's like having a new puppy or kitten, like "Oh, it's soooo cute, I want one! Wouldn't that be adorable if we just had one and we were this little familyyyyyy?" Sure... until you have to pay a quarter of a million dollars to raise it (excluding the cost of college), it gets older and more rebellious. I mean, when you hear about all these bullied kids shooting up schools or themselves, you have to consider these things, having a kid can be a huge burden.

Am I crazy thinking this?

128

Most Helpful Girl

• I'd like to think that most people who conceive on purpose know exactly what they're getting into. Only immature people think of parenthood as the equivalent of getting an adorable pet.

But you're not crazy for thinking this. All I can say is, having children isn't for everyone.

Most Helpful Guy

• No you're right. People think animals and kids are just fun, cute, "things". Nope. They are responsibilities.

Sponsored

What Girls Said 11

• Yes, I think people should think think long and hard before having children and ensure that they have the right means and set up to support them and nurture them properly. Too many people have children when they're just not fit to. Take me for example, I won't have a child until I own a house (paying mortgage of course), and am very financially stable, well established and married (I can't waive on the married potentially but... it's the most preferable.)

• Very few people seem to have any idea how hard it actually is raising a child. I think often it's just on the list of Things We Must Do:

Get a Job. Buy a car. Get married. Buy a house. Have kids. Die.

Choose life.

• Yeah, I don't think some people take it seriously enough. I mean, even beyond the burden on the parents alone, that's somebody's life that's in your hands. Everything you do affects that child, everything you say. You can hurt them in ways you'd never imagine would hurt, you can damage them for the rest of their lives without ever having bad intentions. Having a child isn't something you should do lightly, but I actually know a lot of people who act like everyone should have babies regardless of personality, financial situation, general stability...

• I always tell people , especially young ones, that they can have my three kids for a day and night and then they can let me know if they still want kids. So many young girls are in a hurry to have babies and they really have no idea what they are getting themselves into. Go and live your life and be a kid yourself!

• I think having children is a distraction in life. There's been a time when I was in love and wanted to have a baby with the person because I wanted to have something that was ours and us forever. I don't want a child to fulfill my life or give me something to love, I have a dog for that.

• Ughm, I don't know any unmarried girls who purposely get pregnant. but I know many who really thought they couldn't get pregnant or just refused to use any form of protection and to only get pregnant later on, so , no I don think many women see them as a puppy and I want one but when they get one they either mature and face responsibility or a couple are shitty parents.

• I don't think that's what they think.

But some people go for kids without gaining some knowledge on how to raise them first.

Something like that.

• no I don't think this is the case at all, I think it happens by mistake but not because people want a pet. Maybe there's a very small minority like this but I've never seen or heard of that.

• No, I don't agree with that at all.

• Well, if you think too much you won't do anything, and there is not such a thing as a good time anyway. There's always something you've to do first, like study, a career, blah blah.
    There is to say, sometimes is better not to think too much about certain things in life, and kids is probably one of them.

• i dont want kids. open to a relationship though. lol

What Guys Said 7

• I think a lot of people are convinced they get a degree in pedagogy with their first pubic hairs but have few ideas what it's all about.

And yes, a child is WAY MORE EXPENSIVE than any pet: http://money.cnn.com/2014/08/18/pf/child-cost/

More: money.cnn.com/interactive/pf/cost-of-children/

• Well having kids, taking care of them, fulfilling their needs are responsibilities and responsibilities should be taken up willingly and without force or pressure, if responsibility is taken by compulsion, or by force then it becomes a burden.

• yeah. typically some girls 16-25 might feel the strong urge to have a child. but i guess it´s actually more a primal instinct than a "misconception".

• Having and raising good kids is the most rewarding thing you will ever do. Even a great career can't compensate for it. Eventually - the career is over.

You will have those special kids forever though.

• No. I think think they gave a CONCEPTION on having children! ;-)

• Not crazy, but cynical. Might as well be crazy, then :D

• It can be done for $100,000 children are spoiled these days.