Wedding ring finger debate?

If you are not married. Is it ok to wear a ring on the finger that the wedding ring is most commonly worn? Or should that finger not be used by anything other than the wedding ring?

• only the wedding ring.
  • any ring.
Share your opinion in the comments too please. Love to hear it.
Is the wedding ring finger sacred?

Most Helpful Girl

• I used to wear a ring on both hands. I had a mood ring on my wedding finger and my mom was like, "Oooo what's the significance of THAT one?" and I was like, "My class ring is on the other one."

But when you get married/engaged, those rings go on that one.

What Girls Said 26

• nah i reckon u can just wear whatever u want lol. I'm not gonna sit there saving that finger for the royal diamonds to be bestowed on it! while I'm single ill enjoy wearing rings on any finger i like! :P

• I feel like it's really up to the person. In our society the wedding finger has a social context. If there is a ring on it, then people will think they are married.

If a person is not concerned whether it stops them from getting approached, then that's fine.

However if it will bother the person, then maybe they shouldn't wear a ring on that finger unless they are taken.

I know in my own personal experience I won't approach or show interest in a guy who wears a ring on that finger. Just because then I would think he is taken and I'm not interested in taken guys.

• No, the wedding ring finger is most certainly not sacred as it can be on a different hand and/or finger (if at all) depending on culture.

Although my body's entirely clean when it comes to jewellery, piercings, tattoos and such, if I wanted to wear a ring - I'd wear it on whatever finger I wanted.

• If you do not wish to send the message that you are engaged or married at all AND you live in America or elsewhere with similar societal norms, then maybe wearing a ring on the ring finger is not for you, because there may be someone whom you find attractive that will reject you, because you are sexually/romantically unavailable, unless that someone is of the unscrupulous type that does not care about marital infidelity or of the ignorant type that does not interpret the ring on your finger as a sign of marriage/betrothal.

If you are the individualistic, iconoclastic type of person that likes to go against societal norms, then sure, why not? You'll be complaining why you can't if someone says no, and then wear the ring anyway to defy norms, because you perceive the norms are somehow, for some reason, unfair or counter to your personal freedom of expression.

I am still single. Never been married, never had sexual contact. Personally, I would not wear a ring on my finger, because I do not wear jewelry in the first place. It'd interfere with my present academic life and future professional life, because I hang out in a laboratory often, wearing nitrile gloves. I also do not wear perfume or sexy dresses or makeup. I like the modesty, natural appearance it provides.

• I wear most of my rings on that finger soo...
    And im not engaged :p

• I wear a ring on the ring finger of both hands because of symmetry.

• i think any ring is fine. i wear a ring on my ring finger and i'm not married. the rings i have fit that finger the best lol

• Same reason. Plus I wear a ring on the other ring finger as well because of symmetry

• yeah! on my other hand i wear a finger on my index finger because thats where it fits haha

• I would say yes, only the wedding ring (or something such as a promise ring) but at the same time... I'm left handed and I only really wear rings on my ring fingers. And I tend to use my dominant hand for rings. So my thoughts don't really work for me.

• I don't really have a strong feeling about it, but when I was in relationships I left that finger empty because #1- I didn't want my friends/family etc. asking awkward questions, #2, I didn't want him to feel like I was somehow pressuring HIM. But when I was single etc., I wore rings on my ring finger.

• If you have a purity ring or promise ring, go ahead & wear it. In my opinion, there shouldn't be a restriction on what rings to wear on that finger. It'll just cause some misleading.

• It's okay to wear it but some people will ask you if you are married or engaged.

• You should do whatever the hell you want.

• Sorry I firmly believe that finger is just for wedding rings and engagement rings and promise rings. It's a commitment finger to me.

• I wear my 15 ring on my ring finger. I've been asked if I'm married because it looks like it. I wear a different one on my right hand that I bought in memory of my grandmother. But to be completely honest putting the rings on any other finger feels wrong

• You should do whatever you want to your own ring finger. Regardless of relationship status.

• You can wear them on that finger but some people might mistake you for a married man. Not exactly a good idea when you're approaching girls.

• I would say only wear a ring on that finger when single when is it's obviously not a wedding ring, otherwise it gives off the wrong impression. I wouldn't be mad about someone wearing a ring on that finger when they're not married of course though lol

• Who gives a shit... it is a finger and an over priced ring that represents nothing. Commitment is in the heart of those within the relationship. Commitment can not be represented by a ring.. I know plenty of people that had a dumbass ring that are divorced now. Stop the madness..

• in my opinion no, you shouldn't ever wear a ring on your left ring finger until you are engaged/married.

• Honestly, I don't think it matters that much.

• it may be confusing to people who want to court you if there is a different ring on your ring finger

• I used to wear rings on that finger all the time.

• I personally wear a lot of rings and that includes both ring fingers.

• People will think you're married

• Sometimes girls wear rings on their left ring finger because they want to ward off unwanted attention from men :P

• Wear whatever ring you want. It's okay. :)

• I wear a ring on my marriage finger. I'm not married or engaged. People often ask me if I am married or engaged and when I reply with "no" they often question why I would wear a ring on that finger. However, when I am at a bar and a very persistent man is all over my shit and won't back off, flashing him my "engagement ring" normally does the trick.

What Guys Said 19

• Other than a wedding ring only an engagement ring is appropriate to wear on the finger in question. That's just my thoughts

• I guess it's ok to wear a ring on that finger but it's just a bit misleading to people, especially those who are considering approaching you.

• Any ring, provided that it's not displacing a wedding ring.

• The left ring finger is reserved for the engagement/wedding ring. If I see a ring there then I assume its one if those rings and I won't consider making a move.

So if a girl is single wants to be approached then that ring should be bare.

• I know I can't stop anyone. But I wouldn't do it. At the very least, I can set an example.

• It's not sacred, but it can send people the wrong message. So as long as you're ok, with the misunderstanding and assumptions of others, then it's all good. It's like a guy having one ear pierced as a sign he's gay. As long as you're cool with people mistaking you for a gay guy lol, Then feel free

• It's not wrong per say I mean you can if you want but people might think you're married and even when you don't wear a ring on your wedding ring people will think you married sometimes as has been the case with me.

So it comes down to personal preference for most people, personally for me I don't wear my ring on my wedding ring finger because it looks far to much like an actual wedding ring lol.

• I very much am a traditionalist when it comes to marriage... left ring finger should be the only finger she wears her ring.

If she doesn't like wearing rings, then wearing it on a necklace is fine.

• People can do what they want with it. They just shouldn't get pissed if people assume they're married.

• This is a good question o_o I don't mind what finger
    Why not use as a necklace?

• Any kind of ring on the wedding finger of a girl is confusing to men. It is to me anyway.

• my thoughts are more traditional like that @bryon guy, besides its another way to help determine she's not single without wasting time and effort

• Yup if she has a ring on that finger , I'm gonna feel she is hitched

• Yes, the wedding ring finger is sacred.

• The reason to wear a wedding ring on the wedding finger is to show your devotion and attachment. If you don't want approaches or you like creeps that wanna get it on withsomeone else's spouse then wear a ring

• There's the prevailing theory that if a man wears a ring on that finger he'll get hit on a lot more.

• any ring, who gives a fuck? stupid, archaic traditions need to be ignored and forgotten

• I say only the wedding ring because it confuses men who are interested in you. Unless of course you're wearing it to ward off men. p

• I used to wear a ring on my ring finger and everyone use to ask me whether I was married or engaged. It was rather frustrating and really annoying.

I would reserve that finger only for your wedding ring.

• Wearing a ring there will be interpreted as 'I'm married'. Pretending otherwise is just willful denial.