If polygamy was legal, would you have more than 1 wife?

If polygamous relationships were legal in the country you are resident in, would you have more than 1 wife?

Why and why not?

Most Helpful Girl

• you clearly don't pay much attention to all the men on here that are anti-marriage to begin with. I think would piss them off more

• make them even more bitter

• I do not share their hostility and for the most part I always believe the reason it happens are either misconceptions or as a husband you were a lousy husband to begin with.

Most Helpful Guy

• Polygamy has almost always been legal (except in Christian tradition)

Marriage is just a way of acquiring females... but anyway... I wouldn't have more than 1 wife, because the more the women the more the witchcraft

• Polygamy in the west and in most of the far east was always a privilege for kings and emperors. Never common.
      And it's not only christians tradition that did that. The romans, vikings, greeks , ancient chinese... The only major exception were Islamic countries and well look at them.
      Some cultures had a higher tolerance for concubines than christian Europe, but as far as politics, economy and culture goes, there is a very good reason to limit marriage to 2 people. And you can see that by the success christian tradition, as you've put it, had especially when they came into contact with other cultures.

• LOL the woman's totally wrong.

In China, monogamy only became the norm since the Han dynasty. All Vikings, linguistic cousins of their German neighbors, practiced polygamy, human sacrifice and slavery.

Otherwise polygamy has always been allowed in Western European traditions like the celtic ones. Polygamy was also encountered sporadically at the Native Americans, in the African continent, Polynesia, the Indian subcontinent, Japan, West Asia and ancient Egypt among others.

There is also apparently some evidence of polygamy on the peripheries of the Roman Empire... but ancient Rome & Greece always had de-facto polygamy by means of keeping concubines

• @nalaa You do realize much of the Arabian peninsular were once British protectorates?

Isn't Ireland now economically bankrupt?

What success exactly does Christian tradition actually have? Divorces are among the highest in the world and fatherless households are growing year on year.

What Girls Said 10

• I don't want any wives >.>

• i can't imagine why someone would want to have more than one wife. haha! i would only want one. one is plenty!

• I might allow my hubby to have 1 or 2 more wives. Only if i got to play with them too! If he didn't share them though it'd a hell naw.

• I don't think you truly realize what it's like having a wife - much less 2 or 3 or 10. xD

• It works for chicks too, right?
    Nah, having more than one husband just doesn't seem right to me. Besides threesomes and up don't seem all that delightful or healthy for the female body.

• Why not, polyandry used to be fairly common in land or resource scarce geographical areas of the world where a woman had more than 1 husband at the same time. Still happens in the Himalayan region.

One thing for sure, in such marriages there won't be threesomes or the likes. As in most of these societies sex is seen purely for reproductive purposes only while marriages and relationships were for everything else.

• Oh. Still, I love having only one man to share myself with. It's something special. 😊

• Nope, I hate sharing.

• I would marry one man and one woman.

• Just here to see what the men are saying... don't mind me

• Don't forget to sieve out the white-knights :)

• Oh I will 😉

• I hope someone says no.

I want a monogamous husband.

✌❤

• I would not marry a man who already had a wife or wanted to get more.

What Guys Said 27

• probably not.

I'm a monogamous type of person. I've always been a one woman sort of guy. I feel like having multiple wives would be more hassle then I want to deal with

• No, way!. Never. Firstly I don't want to get married so there is no question of having a wife, but to hypothetically answer your question, I can never even think about having more than one person in my entire lifetime, intentionally, purposefully in any way that you may put it. Not in my dreams I can think like that.

• That would mean double the risk of paying alimony. Also this would create an imbalance so that some men wouldn't be able to have a significant other.

• Some men don't deserve to have a significant other as well.

• No... who has the time, money or effort lol I would really get no alone time then hahah

One is more than enough to handle for me I think

• Do you know what bigamy is? It's having one wife too many.

Do you know what monogamy is? It's the same damned thing!

• GOD NO! That's insane - at least more than 2 wives is. The good thing with 2 sister wives is that they can talk to each other about their problems instead of you thus leaving you free to enjoy the big game on TV.

• I mean I don't believe in marriage, particularly legal marriage, but I find it unlikely that I would have more then one partner. Maybe if I were a richer man. I don't have a moral agenda about the matter if that's what your asking, though it would be double standard of me, seeing as I would not accept her to have additional husbands.

• Probably not, because that would make it hard to concentrate on giving resources and happiness to my children ans spouses.

That's why monogamy is the best for everyone.

• Yes, sounds like fun. As Homer Simpson once said "Dig, chop, dig, chop". One wife to do the dishes and one wife to do the laundry.

• mmmmmm nope. I wouldn't

• Yeah, I'd probably have a few. I wouldn't want more than 4-5, though; it'd be hard to maintain rewarding romantic relationships beyond that point.

• Thanks for being truthful.

Definitely it won't be easy to maintain beyond 4 and actually at 3 it does start becoming difficult. Especially if you're the sole breadwinner.

• Oh, man, it would be hell having 3+ wives as the sole breadwinner.

• There is no way I want two wife's or two girlfriends. Not even if was legal and recommended to me.

• As someone that doesn't want to get married, I have no interest in polygamy.

• Eh. I don't like the legalities of marriage in the first place so I probably still wouldn't marry.

• Probably not. One should be enough for me after coing with zero all this time.

• I can barely deal with 1 girl, 2 would be a mess

• No its to expensive and too much drama,, One girl is hard enough to keep happy let alone 2 ,,

• If it were legal, socially acceptable, and all the women were down for it why not?

• Na, enough trouble with one.

• Maybe filler

• Hell yeah I'd have 3

• If i got a second wife, she would get a second husband, and I'm not ok with that.

On the otherhand, say both wives are bisexual, and all three of us love eachother, then I'd definitely do it. Would could have like a threesome relationship of some sort. Or if she was ok with me having a second wife, and not getting a second husband, then I'd do it in that situation too.

But otherwise, no, i wouldn't.

• No, I think just being with one woman for the rest of my life would be fine for myself.

• No, for the simple reason I ain't got the game to do it.

• I would do what nature intended for me. Impregnate all hot girls

• Not unless my wife wanted me to. There is an old war movie where an American patrol in Tunisia has a Berber guide. A one point one of the American soldiers strikes up a conversation with him.

"So is it true you Muslims can have more than one wife?
    "The Prophet says four is the ideal number. One is simply not enough. Two and they are always fighting. Three and two take sides against one but with four there is balance and the man has peace."
    " So how many wives do you have."
    "One."
    Well, why only one?"
    "Tell me, if you had this law in your country, would you have more than one?"
    "Nooo, my wife wouldn't like that!"
    "It is the same with me. My wife would not like it."

• While it is true Muslim men may have up to 4 wives, there are plenty of rules to it and it isn't encouraged contrary to popular believe.

• no. because i'm a christian. God made Adam and Eve. not Adam and Eve and Jenny ans Anna

• Love dis guy. 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏
      I'm Christian too, so of course imma support.

• I sure hope as a Christian you are also abstaining from fornication :)

Also it is debatable whether or not it is prohibited by scripture or by church policies.