What's the point of getting married?

It seems fucking stupid. Why would I ever want to have the risk of some woman taking half my shit?

Most Helpful Girl

• Cutting out all of the spiritual stuff and tradition, and love. When you have decided that you would like to be with the same person for the rest of your life, and get a house, and maybe start a family, you want to protect that. Marriage gives you certain legal rights. If your other half becomes ill, or injured, boyfriend isn't a good enough title, by law, for the doctor to explain what's going on to you. Legally speaking, getting married, A) Makes sure you can sign crap for your kids, and do other legal stuff for them. B) Joins your fiscal responsibilities with your partner's, which, can lessen the amount of work you have to do yourself. C) The laws are basically written in a way that makes a married couple's life way easier when it comes to cosigning big purchases, and generally dealing with each other's legal stuff. On the emotional side of things, to marry someone is to decide you don't ever want to leave them. That legal piece of paper makes it harder to give up. If you're worried about some lady taking your stuff, sign a pre-nup. Even if you really should be able to trust her not to take your stuff, it's just the smart thing to do. That is the point of marriage, beyond all the emotional, "Forever," stuff.

Most Helpful Guy

• Prenup dude. No risk. Here's a list of my reasons
    1. Married people despite the running joke actually have more sex. That's scientific fact. If I had the sources i'd give it
    2. If I'm choking at home having a family increases the likelihood of not dying
    3. Babies are huge money pits that are just too adorable to resist. They're like puppies that slowly learn to talk and take care of them self
    4. You never have to worry about finding a date to an event ever again.
    5. I honestly need someone to yell at me to get my shit together sometimes.
    6. Kids if you raise em right are an excellent retirement plan lol jk... but not really
    7. Girls are nice to look at. And staring at your wife isn't creepy
    8. Women and children give me the perfect excuse to watch lifetime and Cartoon Network. I just feel wrong going to Disney movies and chick flux by myself but deep down I love that stuff
    9. I want a tree house. Again I need an excuse
    10. I need a back up brain for those days I forget to do stuff like get groceries or go to the dentists
    11. I like dressing nice. I can look super fashionable and just blame it on my wife
    12. Having someone to snuggle means saving money on air conditioning
    13. Sex eventually gets boring. Which means you'll have to get kinky to spice things up! MILF status!
    14. It's nice having someone willing to spend the night at the hospital for you
    15. Sometimes i think best when I have another person to bounce ideas off of
    16. Having someone that relies on me is usually a good motivational push for when I'm just not feeling like adulting
    17. I can cook so if she can cook too I'll probably keep my body healthy much longer
    18. I need someone to laugh at my jokes so I don't feel insane when I laugh at myself
    19. She can check for cancerous moles on my back
    20. Tandem Halloween costumes!
    21. Travel Buddies! Reduces the risk of getting kidnapped over seas.
    22. It's a good deterrent from ending up in prison...
    23. Cookies. I don't understand why but I just for the life of me can not bake. I need cookies. And nothing's better than homemade cookies
    24. Permenant live in target for pranks
    25. Girls usually have good handwriting and I literally know 5 year olds that write better than me. I need someone to write on Christmas cards and thank you letters and stuff for me. Desperately. This is really the main reason. But anyway that's 25 I think that's enough reasons.

What Girls Said 17

• Duh. So the man can see his wife at her best and then someone can have an affair and then divorce. It's all part of the game... sign me up...

• if thats how you think about marriage, then there is no point.
    its about a whole lot more than whose stuff is who's...

• Sign a prenup. Problem solved.

• Nobody is forcing you to get married...
    Just get a blow up doll and keep your bitter self away from normal people

• If that's your attitude, then marriage really isn't for you.

• Don't get married if you don't trust your wife lol

• er... money, connections... fame!

• Having fun is temporary but having a loving family is forever ❤

• 1. Get a prenup. Problem solved, you can keep your shit if you get divorced.
    2. You don't have to get married. People get married because they love each other. If you don't love anyone, you're right, there's no point. Personally, I think that would be a sad way to live, never loving someone enough to want to legally tie yourself to them, either as a spouse, or legal partner. But to each their own.

• I get to wear a super nice white dress 8) So what's the point of not getting married? :P

• I'd rather have freedom.

• haha you even wrote a mytake about tunisian dresses :p
      someone marry her before i do :p

• @PiuBelloAmante Haha if I'll get to have you as the Husband, that would be another point on why I would love to get married xD <3

• Forever does not exist simply because of a piece of paper. Forever exists in the hearts of the people involved. Forever does not exist anymore. Feelings come and go and no one wants to work for relationship success.
    WASTE OF TIME

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKVB-4YglNY
    Literally my thoughts. I see no point.

• You could always sign prenups but from an objective pov there's quite a few legal benefits but past that not much.

• If thats all you see to marriage, then you in particular should never marry. The end.

• Because you trust her not to?

• Marriage is a relationship meant to last a lifetime. I get that divorce rates are high, but if they weren't you wouldn't even be asking this question. Marriage gives you the opportunity to grow as a person with another person who makes your struggles their own and vice versa. Ultimately it's a team effort. And you're not going to be young forever, so one day you might question why you decided not to get married and have a family (there's more legal security for children whose parents are married). True, it's not for everyone, but anyone who tells you it's all about love is naive and doesn't realize that marriages are designed to be hard work because that's what makes them stronger.

• Companionship with someone you can tolerate.

• I have my friends for that.

• sure now... when they want a family you will be left in your fantasy dream home drinking and re arranging your expensive furniture.

• I'll still be happy then.

What Guys Said 31

• Its the ultimate commitment. When just living together one can say "fuck this I'm out of here" at any time. When married that's a lot harder. You're very pessimistic about your future. That's a shame

• I see it as an opportunity to become a part of something greater than yourself: by committing yourself to a woman, you are committing yourself to a family. The statistics supporting two parent households as more beneficial to the children raised in them than single family households. Thus, marriage provides the glue to hold together people who are responsible for each other and their children.
    Also, there are legal benefits to marriage.
    If you don't want kids, and you can't love a woman, then don't get married. In case you do, though, I find it pretty much necessary.

• That sounds fucking retarded.

• Most is a loose term. Of all marriages? Absolutely. Of marriages where one or both individuals were not married prior to that marriage, absolutely not.

Well, I hope you don't get married. With such a defeatist attitude, it's a wonder any of your relationships work out.

• And I hope you don't get married either.

• aceattorney.wikia.com/.../...worth_Confident_1.gif

There are so many things to pick up about what you said but I will try to be brief.

I think the problem merely starts from the question you asked and the point you made after your question. When thinking about the point of marriage, why would you even be thinking about divorce? Once you enter that mindset, it's like you thinking that the marriage is doomed to fail even though it's not a given that divorce will happen. Naturally, thinking this would already mean you are not putting in 100% to sustain the marriage.

vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/.../latest

Another thing...

You said "... some woman..." really? So that's how would you label the person you tied the knot with. Even if you had a girlfriend and didn't want to marry her, would you think she would just be "some woman" who would be taking half your "shit"? How would she feel if you told her that? It's not really a nice way to be perceiving woman like that.

Anyway... The point of marriage is to start the mark of you sharing your life with another person (or people) through the eyes of the law.

• There is no end point. The concept of marriage is just something us humans made up and then said it's holy.

I remember reading article about this. It was that the church had to come up with a way for men and women to stay together and raise families together. The concept of marriage is also not early as old as people think it is

• If holding onto your stuff is more important, you shouldn't get married.

• There is no point. I see no logic in it. I am never getting married.

• I actually don't know. It's just a legal paper.

If you want commitment so much, then why do you need a paper for it?
    It feels like the traditional means of setting your relationship status on Facebook, to show off to your friends that you have a fancy ring.

You can be happily living together without signing papers.

• Because you have found your soulmate and person you never want to be separated from. To tie your union together in front of friends and family and legally for your future children.

Although based on your venomous response it's likely any girl in this world would want to hitch their wagon to you. I wouldn't.

• Wife, family, something you created that you can call your own, among other things.

• Sorry, I'd rather have a fun life.

• Make fun of me all you want, I've been fucked over in the past.

• I'm not making fun of you, I've been there, screwed over by gals before, but I'm also smart enough to now that they aren't all like that.

• Marriage is the foundation to start a family... if u don't want kids I understand marriage not being appealing for you.

• There honestly is no point. Other than love, a fucking emotion lol.

• I honestly don't know... but I do know there's more to it than that.

• I ask this too myself. :/ Or maybe I just haven't felt the kind of love that, you would want to marry someone that much. I don't know. :(

• I don't have a problem with marriage, but nowadays, it seems fucking stupid indeed. Too risky and too complicated for men.

• Ever hear of a pre-nup? It's a good idea for legal and tax purposes. If you really care about half your shit, then marriage is a good idea.

• Don't get married then after all it is optional.
    But if you do get married, sign a prenuptial agreement.

• There is no point of getting marred. No point at all. It's just giving things up. Your money, your house, your car and your freedom.

• I definitely get you, man. Have an ironclad prenub and an amazing lawyer, and you'll be fine.

As far as I'm concerned, if I was ever to divorce, I'd rather die than give the woman a single damn penny.

• i get to take half of some woman's shit too... logic.

• Bill Burr... noice!

• Because it's symbolism and people like symbols.

• Million dollar question. My question also.

• Monogamy is the best scenario for rearing children. Other than that, nothing really.

• no point, bad idea

• There is no point.

• Well if you think, you dont need a shitty bit of paper to confirm that you 2 love each other

• prenuptial agreements?

and, you mean you don't want little mini-you's running around making your life a living hell and get no sleep whatsoever? you're crazy man.

• None.

Want kids? Don't need marriage.
    Want someone to live with? Don't need marriage.
    Want...

Etc. Etc.

There's nothing but liability in marriage.

• Good point, that's what's happening to me so I'm not doing that again

• Prenuptial agreeeeeementz.

• More from Guys
    1