What is your opinion on gay marriage?

The concept of marriage has its roots in religion. Every major religion has some equivalent of marriage before it became a state institution. Understanding that marriage began as a religious institution, and also understanding that every religion considers gays to be taboo, why would a gay couple want to be married? Why would a gay couple want to be recognized by a religion that rejects their very nature? And this is assuming the couple is religious in the first place.

If I were gay, I would completely reject the idea of marriage. If my religion considers me taboo, then screw that religion, as it is how I was born. Instead, I would be fighting for recognition by the government to have the same benefits (financial) as married couples, without saying I'm married. That is, I would fight for the right to be recognized as a Gay Union, rather than a Gay Marriage.

I would think that the church of whatever religion wouldn't put up much of a fight if gays fought for Gay Union rights, rather than Gay Marriage rights. They are essentially the same in every sense, except for its recognition by a religious institution.

Most Helpful Girl

• Lots of things are deeply rooted in religion or have religious influences, that doesn't mean that people should just stop doing it. Like pre-marital sex is often considered inappropriate, most people aren't going to not want to do it just because something in a book tells them to. Also, we'd then have to look into relationships between different sex couples and if they were atheists, they wouldn't be allowed a marriage either, it must be called a union or whatever. And what happens if one of them is religious and the other isn't, what do we do then, if one is not allowed to get married whilst the other is free to do so and wants to? It seems like it raises too many complications. I'm bi and not religious, and I would want what I had to be recognised as a marriage no matter who I decide to marry.

Most Helpful Guy

• Quick question, where are you getting your facts that people are "born gay"? You're making claims not backed by science. I think the experts have a better grasp on it...

Royal College of Psychiatry in Britain (which is so leftist and politically correct you will be arrested for "racist" facebook posts) does not believe homosexuality is genetic. www.theglobaldispatch.com/.../

American Pyschological Association, which initially removed homosexuality from their list of official mental illnesses only due to vandalism and protests, no longer claims homosexuality is genetic, either.

http://www.wnd.com/2009/05/97940/

What we DO know is that being homosexual, particularly a gay man, is incredibly bad for your health, and hence, costs society a small fortune in extra medical care.

Gay men have a 17 times higher rate of anal cancer than straight men.
    http://www.cdc.gov/msmhealth/STD.htm
    Gay men are 2% of the population of the USA, yet have 57% of HIV infections.
    http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/group/msm/index.html
    "In 2013, gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men accounted for 75% of primary and secondary syphilis cases in the United States."
    http://www.cdc.gov/msmhealth/STD.htm

Homosexuality is an highly destructive, unhealthy lifestyle, according to the facts and statistics.

• psychiatry... that "proper science"..

• Of course it matters. Because if someone decides to address the prevalence of HIV in the population, they would fail if they assumed your statement that being gay = HIV. In fact, a person's sexual orientation has nothing to do with having HIV, proven by the fact that straight people have it too and the very high HIV rate in the African population.
      A person having HIV has EVERYTHING to do with lack of using protection and nothing to do with being gay. That's pure ignorance on your part.

I'll bet if you went to Africa and saw a high rate of HIV there, you'd come to the conclusion that being black means you have HIV.

• Being gay in the USA does = much higher risk of STD's.

Gay groups and the US government have been screaming about the importance of condoms and safe sex for something like 40 years.

Homosexuals are either bugchasing or too stupid to heed the cries. One, or the other. Somehow, a 2% of the population has 57% of one of the most dread diseases known to man.

If HIV was related to not using protection, than don't you think the 95%+ of the population that is straight would at least have an even half of HIV cases? There are tons of teenage and 20-something women who get preggo by accident. Yet HIV among straights is still a minority of cases.

And Africans--different culture, and complete lack of morals. Even in the USA--University of California, Berkeley, studied 1.1 million applicants and found race is a bigger indication of test score difference than wealth or parent's education level.

www.cshe.berkeley.edu/.../...aceSAT.10.26.2015.pdf

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 9

• Even pre-marital sex is frowned upon in most religions, still most people, religious or otherwise, indulge in it and no one cares.

There will come a day when gay marriage by religious people too isn't considered aa big deal.

• Not everyone is going to approve of it, nor should they be required to. "Live and let live" is a door which swings both ways, something which the more in-your-face LGBT advocates could stand to be reminded of.

I, personally, don't believe the government should be in the business of defining it in the first place. I'm given to understand it only started doing so because a certain state in the south didn't want to recognize interracial marraiges.

• Absolutely disgusting. Forced by the government to accept homosexuality as something cool and natural.

• There is a difference between natural and normal. Many pro-gay activists claim that there are gay animals - hence it is normal for it to show up in other species including humans.

While I believe homosexuality is natural... meaning it occurs naturally. It is not normal.

You see, Down's Syndrome occurs naturally. Stillborns occur naturally. Conjoined twins, dwarfism, mental retardation, eczema, asthma, cleft palate... etc all occur NATURALLY in a population. However, nobody considers these conditions NORMAL. Homosexuality and pedophiles fall into this category as well... that it is natural, but not normal.

No civilization has ever developed an acceptance to homosexuality. However, should they be burned at the stake for that? I don't believe so, as I believe they were born that way. You'd have a tough time calling humans civilized if we killed our infants because they were physically or mentally handicapped, or suffered from some other disorder through no fault of their own.

• You're not born gay. You become gay. And no you don't burn gay people. You simple take away civil rights and freedoms from them. Yes you do that. As for infants and birth defects, usually it is people like you who call us Nazis because we are into eugenics.

• people were pairing of long before Christianity. Marriage is derived from the Latin matrimonium. Even. Pagans. Got married. The word is not the problem. The idea is what people don't like

• The thing is that marriage is not an exclusively religious idea at this point, so LGBTQ people should have equal rights to marry. I reject the idea marriage and I'm straight, though, but just because it's useless to me.

• Don't really give a shit, honestly... It doesn't affect my life in any way.

• Yea keep telling yourself that buddy

• religion and marriage aren't connected.

• I think your IQ may be a little too low to answer this one.

• there is no such thing as IQ... i have no issue with gay marriage.

• haha.. but you're clearly a retard, who for a grown man doesn't get it. I answered your question.. what the fuck more do you want?

• According to me being a religious guy anything which is unnatural is a seen and gay marriage is a sin and crime against nature. But it is matter of individual opinion then if thay want to go to hell who am i to stop them.