Have you ever been a bridesmaid?

My sister is getting married, yay woohoo etc, etc. She asked me to be a bridesmaid, I said yes, then she had issues with having too many so I said I'd be fine with dropping out 'cause the idea of being in front of everyone makes me uncomfortable.

And then her maid of honor found out she's pregnant, and it's beenreally difficult for her to get pregnant and she's had a miscarriage and a false pregnancy type thing, so to keep the stress off of her my sister told her it'd be fine if she didn't want to be in the wedding party.

So then she asked ME to be maid of honor but that includes a SPEECH. To which I told her no way, no how. So... now I'm a bridesmaid to replace the bridesmaid who is replacing the maid of honor.

Long story short, my shy introvert ass is suddenly a bridesmaid and I'm happy to help my sister but I'm nervous as heck about it. If you've ever been one, got any tips to keep calm and stuff when you're up in front of everyone?

Most Helpful Guy

• There is a line of advice to people who have to get up and speak to audiences that should work for you, even though you will not have to speak. When you are in front of everybody and feel nervous, just imagine they are all naked. You end up laughing a bit and lose the nervousness. And imagining all those guys naked out there sounds right up your alley. :-)

• It'll be my family out there lol I'm not gonna imagine my family naked

• Well, you can leave the family dressed and just "strip" the others. lol

Most Helpful Girl

• I've been a bridesmaid twice. Once, maid of honor, and once bridesmaid #4 with girls I'd never met who were lifelong friends with the bride which was super awkward. For the first wedding, I was in the same dilemma; making the big speech in front of everyone with my own personal lifelong best friend. I'm an introvert in the worst way and I was practically hyperventilating with fear and nervousness and not wanting to ugly cry because of all the love that was floating around the room like farts at a Taco Bell, lol! At the last minute, my besty blissfully didn't make me give the big speech because we had this look across the room and she knew I just couldn't do it, but she did make her brother, also an introvert, do the big speech thing, and he was super nervous, but basically do the following. Make sure you write it down and read from the paper. You don't have to be funny or clever or go all out if that's not you. Stick to saying thank you to both families for being there and supporting the bride and groom. Acknowledge the new groom and thank him for making her happy. Then encourage everyone to have a good time and to celebrate. DO NOT elaborate. Don't try to tell a story. Short and sweet. The end. Sit down. Pass the mic. Proceed to vomit backstage while gracefully avoiding your yellow (she picked yellow, like who does that look good on) bridesmaids dress.

• I'm not the maid of honor lol

• sorry, misread that. In that case, I'll refer you to the second wedding I was in. I stood up front, stared at two places, my flowers, and at the back of the bride's head until the ceremony was over and then you can kind of sort of disappear into the crowd, though you'll be forced to be in every photo requiring the wedding party. Just smile and it will all be over soon.

What Guys Said 7

• When you are a bridesmaid just think of yourself as a normal guest - When you are doing things as part of the bridal party, think most people are paying attention to the bride and there is a few bridesmaids to make sure not all attention on you - Importantly you have no speech which would be the biggest deal - Lastly style it out I am sure you will look lovely so you will have nothing to worry about

• Nope, never been a bridesmaid before.

• Yes all the time

• Never been a bridesmaid. Sorry

• Nobody is gonna care about you they only care about bride and groom

• Shy introvert? You? Noooooo. Of all people.

• Just get your tits out it works for you here.

• I'm not... gonna.. flash my family.

• Put booby tassels on then so it's kinder on their dispositions.

What Girls Said 5

• sure.

u really just need to remember that it's one day. your sister's day, and she wants you to be a special part of that. when you're up there, don't focus on what the people think of you, or that they're looking at you.
    i went up for a speech before, and they were looking mostly at the bride and groom as well as their parents to see the reactions lol.

anyway if u could take one thing from this, id say get lost in the moment. focus on how amazing ur sister looks. focus on the words in your speech, not the people ur saying it too. the day will come and go really quick, so just take it all in, give your sister something wonderful to remember and you'll rock it. =]

• Definitely! Just treat it as anything else, I can understand why you wouldn't want to be the maid of honour but the fact that you're just a bridesmaid just means you have to be everywhere the bride is, all the attention isn't even on you, it'll be on your sister- it may feel like everyone is starring at you and yes they will but their anticipation is the bride ;) Stay calm, don't drink a lot but drink enough if you do haha x

• Yeah I predict a good bit of booze

• No one is going to be paying attention to you, it's all about the bride.

• I know, but the inner voice inside my head will tell me people will be paying attention to me.

• Get drunk before lol

• Yeah my sisters wedding like 3 years ago

• No never lol