If you know that your parents object to your boyfriend or girlfriend, would you still marry him or her?

• No way. Marriage is about the happy union between two families. If compromise doesn't work, then I might just say goodbye to the relationship.
  • Yes. Marriage is about the happy union between two individuals. Our parents are entitled to their opinions and should not deny our choices of a partner.
  • Not applicable. I am celibate permanently.
  • Not applicable. I don't have any parents or guardians or family ties.
  • Other reason
  • See results

Most Helpful Guy

• What's the reason for the objection?
    If it's because they know he/she has a criminal record, deals drugs, is an alcoholic, hasn't ever had a steady job, and is basically taking a free ride with you... then listen to them and don't get married.

If it's because he/she is a different race, or comes from a different background (religion, income, etc.), then yeah, ignore them and do what makes you happy.

Most Helpful Girl

• Watch my Big Fat Greek Wedding, it relates to this question perfectly.

If I really loved my partner and they made me feel good about myself, respected me etc I would marry him, if done for the right reasons.

If my parents had valid points to objectifying to him/her, I'd consider what they're saying, but at the end of the day you've got to make best choice for you. No point trying to make others happy if you're gonna be miserable about it

(Wow all that from an inexperienced teenage girl, surprised myself lol)

• Just a note: objectifying does not mean objecting. The word that is supposed to go in your post is "objecting", because "objectifying" sounds like your parents are making him an object, which doesn't make any sense in the context.

Anyway, as an overall response, I am just going to say that I see where you are coming from. However, if it were me, I would try to make compromises between my potential spouse and parents. If compromise does not work, then I'm just going to say goodbye to the spouse. A good person would understand and not pressure me. There is more to marriage than love and attraction anyway, and I don't mind being single forever.

• I didn't even pick that up with the spelling! Well now I know lol

Sure, I understand where you're coming from and respect your opinion.

What Guys Said 8

• I would marry, my parents are my life but my life will be defined by my wife so if they have to accept my choices

• It would depend on why they objected. My parents would trust me to make my own judgment. If they did object, it would be for very serious reasons, like if they thought she might turn out to be abusive or a cheater or something along those lines.

• Mine too. So, I can count on my parents' opinions. The suitor may have an impulsive personality, have bad habits that need to be excised, be too ugly, or come from a lower socioeconomic background.

• Yes, I would still marry her. Nobody else has the right to interfere with what we have decided for us. It is our life to do as we please. Even if it can be construed by some as being an unwise decision, it is still our right to make our own mistakes.

• Yes If i loved her i would run away with her and marry her in court...

Actually that's what my parents dd... LOL

I am not giving up my love...

• I was raised like this:
    1. God
    2. Country
    3. Family
    Nowhere in there do you find girlfriend. I put family above my future spouse because I don't want to marry into a life of hostility between my family and my wife.

• It's our private life and got sod all to do with anyone else.
    I don't even have to tell them I have a girlfriend or wife.

• My Father has made it quite clear that he'd be disappointed if I end up being in a relationship with a woman that isn't white and my Mother seems to hate everybody including herself, so I doubt they'd agree with whoever I marry.

• Absolutely... not. Why should I piss my parents off for one girl. Girls are dime a dozen. Your parents aren't

What Girls Said 5

• I feel if they have no concrete reason to not like the SO it's stupid, or if it's based on race/religion/etc. If their son/daughter is happy and it's a healthy relationship then they should be able to marry if they wish to do so.

• I don't know,

I would be in a delima or catch 22 kinda thing? Something like that.
    Two of my cousins married the guys that they fell in love with even though the parents were against it.

I believe years later, the marriage turned awful.

That's the thing that scares me bro.

• I'd sooner flip both of my parents the bird before I'd give up someone I love.

• i voted for yes but tbh it depends if the person is a really bad one then i won't even think about marrying that person

• Depends on why they object