What is the difference between a promising ring & an engagement ring?

So what is the purpose of promising ring?

Most Helpful Girl

• An engagement ring is a ring to symbolise you are getting married in the future. It shows you are taken and in a committed relationship rather than just dating.

A promise ring can have two meanings.

1. It's a promise that you will get engaged within a year. If this is the case, you can wear the promise ring on your left hand on your ring finger. It's a poor man's engagement ring to want of a better way of saying it. However, if it's going to be more than a year in the making, you are supposed to not wear it on that hand.
    2. A promise to each other, to love and honour them. It's a wedding ring for people who don't want to be married, or simply for people who just want to express their love for one another.

Most Helpful Guy

• What is promising ring? isn't an engagement ring a promising ring by itself, in some ways at least? I mean an engagement ring is a sign that you have promised the other person that you will marry them, isn't it so?

Is there a separate ring called promising ring as such? just asking

• A promise ring basically says "I promise we'll get engaged one day"

What Girls Said 5

• Promise ring - You promise to love and honor that person. Some people that are under age even do this. Their mind is completely far away from marriage. It's just a sweet thing to do to show another person that you take them seriously, and care.

Engagement ring- Is a ring given with the intentions to get married.

The similarity between the two is that you are showing how much you care for this person. The difference is... is the intentions for marriage.

• Significance and age. Promise rings are generally considered kinda childish or for younger couples in their teens who aren't really ready to commit and plan a wedding yet but want to show that they are committed to each other and they do mean a lot to each other. Engagement rings usually come later, if someone does a promise ring at all, and they're kinda a more significant version.

• The purpose of a promise ring is to show commitment and intention on upholding something. For different people, the promise is very different. Some people are promising to not have sex until marriage, others are promising to give their hearts to their partner. I think it's a sweet gesture either way. When I was in middle school and high school, a few girls had promise rings.

• Promise ring is the promise of an engagement ring. So like an engagement engagement ring lol

• I would say age, the people I know who have gotten or given promise rings are young. It's kinda like saying look we are young and don't have the career we want but I see my future with you.

What Guys Said 2

• WTF is a promise ring?

• Promise rings are engagement rings for middleschoolers.