Do you believe in fate?

Kismet, destiny, call it whatever you want; does it exist? The little messages the universe seems to send our way can be quite evasive but, if you keep you're eyes open, you just might catch one or two! Am I crazy for believing in something like destiny? Can serendipity really exist in such a cynical world as ours? And most importantly, when is it at work in our lives? I've tested fate in more than one way; I've asked for confirmation and it's come through every time, at least when it counts. Should I go on believing that someday, my destiny will become reality? I may sound naive but in a world full of cynics, there's got to be some optimists, am I right?

Most Helpful Guy

• I was in the grocery store NYE, and ran into a friend, a childhood friend I see once in a while. I didn't have a date for New Years Eve. She said come over to my parents; they're having a New Year’s Eve party. I took, what I thought was a pity date. As the night went on, we had a lot of fun. We talked about life in general, about the past, and about what was ahead us. Neither, she nor I have children; we both want children. We got into a serious conversation about marriage.

This woman and I played together as children. Our parents are very close, and ecstatic we are getting married (this is very rare, my family have never approved of a girl before, long story.) We attended the same high school and the same university, but we had always been friends but never dated. We did have this one moment skinny dipping in her pool, but she had a boyfriend and I had a girlfriend. It’s stupid looking back, but that was high school. My fiancĂ© is beautiful; she has always been beautiful; but other than that one moment I never looked her way. She was the little girl I grew up with. It took 36 years to see she is the perfect woman that’s always been in my life.

I’ve loved my fiancĂ© all my life. What happened in that moment when we were in high school? Why did we throw it away? I can ask these questions, but it doesn’t mean anything. We decided to get married on our first real date. I officially proposed four days after. Serendipity, fate, destiny, I don’t know? What I do know: I have the girl I always wanted; she’ll be my wife April 17, 2010.

What Guys Said 3

• I think things happen for a reason. In high school I was very into baseball and tried out for the team, I didn't make it but because of that I began playing guitar. I now play 3 instruments that I love, and work teaching music. I doubt I would have even picked up a guitar if I had made the team. I guess you can call it optimism, but I think that if you were or weren't meant to do something it will work out that way. It reminds me of like when 9/11 happened and I heard stories of people who like were supposed to be at work at the world trade center that morning but missed their flight. Is it really just coincidence? You're really pretty btw

• Theres a difference between being an optomist and being naive. There are some things out of our control, sure. There are also many more things that we can dictate the outcomes of in our lives, by the actions we choose to take or not take. Some people just use concepts like 'fate' or destiny' to negate any responsibilty on their own part, for obtaining what they want in life. The most that can be asked of us, is that we work our hardest to get what we want out of life, and not just wait for it to fall out of the sky into our laps dear.

• Well sure, you need to want it; fate doesn't do all the work for you. You can use fate as a map through your life, but you can't expect it to do the navigating for you! That point, I do understand and you're right, it's an important distinction to make. I'm just not sure if fate exists in general anymore and I don't want to waste my time, that's all.

• Ah, I guess we differ on what fate means to us. To me fate is a concept of, if it is meant to happen, it will, If not, it won't, and there is nothing I can do about it. To that end, I don't believe in such a thing.

• Personally, I definitely don't believe in fate. It's along the same lines as Karma in my opinion: a psychological construct which the brain uses as a self-fulfilling concept. Essentially I think it's all a mental illusion.

• Haha, that's funny because I believe in karma as well as fate! To me, karma is the universe's way of leveling the playing field...

• It's definitely one of those things where people will have differing opinions and that's fine. That's what's great about life is that it's hard to be wrong about its true meaning and process, since no one truly knows for sure. I tend to favor the scientific approach, which indicates that the human brain simply perceives that things happen in coordinated patterns, even though they may actually not. Others like to think on a more cosmic level. To each their own!

What Girls Said 1

• Steve Job's commencement address at Stanford pretty much sums up what I think about fate. Watch it on Youtube if you haven't seen it yet, it's worth it.