Why do people care that I didn't change my last name when I got married?

Mostly friends and family ask me that. A couple of my husbands exs also. Has anyone else experienced this?

Most Helpful Guy

• It is normal in our society for the whole family to have the same last names. Especially for children to have the same last name as both of their parents. Other kids notice when things are different and can bully other kids over this.

However, there are times when it is good to not change your name. Especially for professionals whether they be doctors or authors, etc. They need to continue with the same last name for their "clients" to always be able to find them.

• I looked into it but it was a huge hassle and can be costly with certain things like drivers licence. I was working a lot and didn't have the time to be driving all over and waiting in huge lines so I said forget it. Sometimes I wish I had changed it. Oh well.

• It does take a little time, but it can make life easier to change it, and sometimes proving you are married get to be a hassle when the names are different. (Like for insurance, titles, etc.) What is done is done and it will not be that big a deal.

What Guys Said 2

• its a tradition to change your last name. it doesn't really feel complete unless you change your last name to fit your transformation of being single to taken for life you know.

• Because you didn't tow the feminist party line.

Feminist business as usual... belittle anyone who sees things differently.

What Girls Said 1

• It's a tradition and people feel entitled to your personal decisions is what it basically boils down to.