Is there a format for writing your vows?

Is there a specific format or length to use when writing your own wedding vows... or is it pretty much "anything goes"?

I heard that in order for it to be legal, you have to actually use a few key phrases in your vows.

I did a google search, but the results were somewhat mixed and confusing.

What Guys Said 2

• I don't know about the legal part but as far as your partner is concerned, I'm fairly certain that speaking from the heart is all that matters. :)

• That's why you need to ask a trained and expert lawyer instead of random people on the internet :D

• Actually, some of these "random" people on the internet have written their own vows and know the process... so your comment is moot.

• Actually , you still need a lawyer. They may have made vows but not necessarily legally standing or to the desired effect. For example if a person uses too many ambiguous terms it may still legal, but the court can interpret it any way you want. The vow may ended useless or worse, harmful. Best to have a lawyer help you. Are you getting married?

What Girls Said 1

• You don't have to say anything you just have to have witnesses, a religious person or judge to sign some paperwork.