If it is accepted and common for women to ask men out on a date, will it ever be accepted for women to propose to men?

Will it ever be accepted for women to propose to men?

I'm just wondering how far society is going to take gender role reversal, and I'd like to hear what others think.

• No. It always has and will be the man's job to propose.
  • It might start happening, but it will never really catch on.
  • Yes. It will be acceptable for women to propose to men.
  • Yes. Women will eventually be expected to propose instead of men.

Most Helpful Girl

• I voted B, but I'm not really a psychic so predicting the future isn't really my forte. If you follow trends, it seems that women would take over the majority of male roles; however, and this may not go over well, there are simply some things that men can do that women cannot do. Which is fine, because you don't see men running around wanting to give childbirth. >_>

I know that there were no proposals or rings exchanged or given between my husband and I. I highly doubt we are indicative of current trends on this sort of thing though. Most of my friends have their boyfriends propose, followed by a more traditional wedding. Just think of how long wedding traditions have been around. I don't think they will phase out any time soon, for better or for worse ;)

What Girls Said 14

• I think it will become acceptable or maybe it already has some level of acceptibility.

I have actually proposed to a guy who I loved and would have married, but the reason I offered to marry him was so he could get health insurance! LOL! He politely declined my less than romantic gesture but appreciated my concern and we are still close friends and I would marry him in a heartbeat, but he will have to ask, and that is not going to happen.

But to be honest, I think a man proposing is necessary for him to feel he made the choice and wants the committment. I don't think a man will ever really feel that unless the proposal comes from him. It's much harder for a man to tell a woman no, even if he knows he is not ready. It is more socially acceptable for women to decline a proposal if the timing or situation is not right, or if she does not yet feel certain about him or ready for marriage. My gut feeling is that most BUT NOT ALL marriages would not fair as well if the woman proposes to the man because he will feel less committed and will eventually feel trapped into something he was not ready for if he did not propose.

• I think it already has to some extent- why shouldn't women propose? I don't think it will ever do a complete reversal and be considered a woman's "job" as opposed to a man's "job", I think that the furthest it will go is about 50/50, althoug probably more like 60/40 men asking to women asking.

• you can call it a double standard or what not, but it's one thing for a girl to ask a guy out - I'm all for that, but it should always be the guy to do the proposing. I also think that discussing marriage beforehand is a good thing, not have it as a surprise, so you both know how you feel about it, and whether you're heading in that direction. marriage should not be taken lightly.

• Well would you care to explain how you come to the conclusion that this should be so? I mean is there an actual trail of thought preceding that argument or does it just hang in the air?

• "it's always harder on guys because they have to do all the work".

i fully believe in a 50:50 relationship.

but no, we don't live in a fully 50:50 society, nor are we raised that way.

if he wants to marry her, and knows she wants marriage (this should have been discussed through the course of the relationship), then he should have no problem doing so. if he doesn't, he won't ask. at which point he should also inform her of this, in case she's laboring under the impression that they are in

• Fact, headed for marriage.

but thanks for the condescending tone da5id. yes, there was thought behind the answer. I don't really have to justify my beliefs to you. I was answering a question.

also, yes, it happens. it is rare but women do ask men to marry them.

hopefully your girlfriend is one such brave woman, rather than holding her breath for you :S

• I don't think it's wrong but I don't think that it will ever be common place because some men, not all have issues with women that take really big step into their own hands this means to a certain point that their are the leaders in the relationship. Most men need to know that they wear the pants in the relationship.

• Woman do propose to men, think about how Monica proposed to Chandler in 'Friends' (sorry for the sucky example), and that was a couple years ago. It's not a common thing but I'm sure it's accepted, as long as they're both happily married in end of it.

• Friends is not real, it's designed to show women what they want to see. But I do agree with you that it happens sometimes. A lot of guys would be put off by it though.

• Personally I wouldn't mind because I think I'm a modern guy and concepts such as "a woman's place" and "a man's job" are old archaic concepts left over from barbaric times.

• It might not be real but it's based off something right? Woman probably would take it into her own hands only if she feels as if the guy will never do anything. Most likely I'd think that a lot of girls dream of having a guy propose to her in a romantic way that they won't do it but who knows. As long as they're happy. . .

• There are women out there who do propose to their men but its not for me, I guess I'm the traditional type, even though I would initiate a conversation or something with a guy I would never ask him out, I feel that its the mans job to do the chasin :P and same goes for the proposal, it may seem sexist but I think its more romantic when a man gets down on one knee and ask the girl to marry him

xoxox

• Some women may...

But overall, this is the guys role.

And besides, I think the majority of guys would be freaked out and feel awkward if a girl proposed to them.

• You think wrong then =)

• "demasculated"...the exact word my boyfriend used when I asked him his opinion on this

• She doesn't think wrong weapon zero. I doubt you represent most guys. for every one that says he wouldn't mind, there are at least ten that say they do.

• it does happen...just rarely and its not catching on. I hope that it never ever ever catches on. so many of traditional dating is disappearing. I know that times are changing...but some things shouldnt stop happening. and I think this is one of them!

• Example is asking her father before proposing to her. another ttraditoin that has almost disappeared but I believe shouldnt!

• I voted C. You see it happening today, women do propose to men. It may not be common but give it time and it will be the next big thing like cougars. :D

• Personally, if I'll ever propose to a man, I'll always wonder if he said yes because he wants to or because he feels he has to..

• Theres a growing number of people in the world who believe that concepts such as "what is a man's job" and "what is a woman's job" in a relationship are old outdated concepts which have no place in modern society. eventually these people will become the majority. what will you say then?

• And again I disagree with you weapon zero. I understand that there is agrowing population that's for this. But why, this whole feminist movement is ruining society. I am totally for equal treatment of women, however I think it is going too far and is the reason for gender blurring. Women contually complain about how men are becoming weak and how chilvary is dead. Its dead because feminism killed it. Think about this, if we continue to give women all the responsibitly in everything....

• What is left for men? nothing, women don't need us to reproduce and that is the entire ideal chivalry is built on. Men protect the women because they are of more genetic value. Gender blurrign is a bad thing. Like when you say 50-50 your wrong. It was 50-50, now its becoming a absolute free-for-all.

• some women will do it but I think men will always be the ones who will mostly do it.

• I would think so. I think it's awesome for women to propose.

• I hope it doesn't go that far. I would want the man to propose. I don't really get why men complain so much about having personal responsibility, taking initiative, or generally being the first to do something. It's a lot better to be in that role than in the passive, female role girls have to learn how to do and then later unlearn in life. Both genders should be assertive, but it's assertiveness about different things. Guys ask out, pay, propose. Girls are understanding, compassionate, and loving, someone their man can come home to and be with. Both genders have something going for them, and to change that is to change the course of nature. However, I still voted D, because at the rate we are going, society is attempting to change nature any way it can and it is succeeding. The media and all that tries to get the message out there, but there are some people who ignore the media (like me) and I am really doing just fine with that. Or maybe even better.

• this reminds me of boy meets world when topanga asked cory to marry her right after graduation

What Guys Said 10

• Over the past few hundred years, we have seen a shift in society gradually (but hastening recently) toward complete and total equality of the sexes (physical differences not withstanding). Eventually things will get to a point where concepts such as "a man's place" and "a woman's place" and "a man's roles/jobs" and "a woman's roles/jobs" will have no place in "modern" society and EVERYTHING will be split down the middle 50/50. I personally think these shifts are a good thing as these concepts come from barbaric times that movies and fiction try to glamorize and romanticize.

You will see that there are plenty of people in the world already choosing to live like this, and that their numbers are growing with each passing year.

To not see this coming is to be blind to the world around you.

• Very true. Actually, this is exactly why I asked in the first place. Like you said, gender roles are being blurred, and nothing is becoming a "man's job" or a "woman's job". However, my goals with this question was proposing more extremes, since proposing has basically been about the ultimate "man's job". The idea was to see how far people thought that this gender role blurring trend would be taken.

• Its happened before. And if you are that far into your relationship, why wait to find out if she is going to ask you? Why not take the step and ask her? Either way, if you two are in love and ready to commit to each other, why does it matter who asks who? Good luck.

• This will NEVER be a role for a woman . Someone suggesting that they take this away also ..Many men have become such pussies . Men don't know there role any more , what is needed is Men acting as men , and women who like being women .

But this is certainly not the role of the woman ... any who do do it will get a big NO anyhow , unless they are asking some soft c*ck .

• Eventually concepts such as "what is a man's job" and "what is a woman's job" will be phased out and everything will be split down the middle 50/50. Society has been shifting toward this already. It does not mean men are becoming "pussies" but that we are moving closer and closer to TRUE equality of the sexes. And really, what's wrong with that?

• Sorry Weapon .... I completely disagree , It will go back the other way ..which is how MOST of the world lives . Women are asking " How can I find a real man " ?? He's such a soft c+ck . When you spend time in other parts of the World , like Asia , Middle east , you will find your role is understood ..It still comes with much responsibility . Its not an easy way out . I certainly would be certain that roles like proposal will ALWAYS be the MANS role .

• Think? I'm a guy and I'm supposed to think? :-)

I hope that the changes you mention happen ... and soon.

• As a guy, when a girl asks a guy out on a date, it is flattering and shows that she is confident. And it does happen sometimes, however, I don't think women will ever really start proposing to men and that be considered regular, not saying that it is wrong or anything but saying that I believe that our culture will keep proposing left to the man. That being said, I also believe in chivalry, so I believe it is the man's duty to propose, but that is person preference.

• Women in the west will never propose to men because they think they are so much better than men that kneeling before a man would to them be entirely unthinkable.

• Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. I would be totally freaked.

• It is kind of corny but I can't wait until the day I have to propose. Yes it will be really scary for me, but it is an event that I am excited about at some point in my life.

• Two words: Jolene Blaylock

No man says no to her...even gay men.

• eventhough it has become accepted for women to ask men out on first dates, it still very rarely happens, actually I take that back, I don't know if it is a matter of being accepted or not, it's just how us humans have been socially conditioned.