Is it mainly the guy that brings up the subject of a prenup when engaged?

814

Most Helpful Girl

• Dude, I have a huge trust fund that I can't touch yet. I want a pre-nup to protect my own assets.

• What if both are well off does that make the prenup less nessecary?

• No. They should have one that protects them both.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it is the person who is most afraid of 'losing' if/when the marriage ends and likely the person who earns the most or has the greater potential to earn compared to the other.

I'd wager it is more women who'd bring this up when they earn more and men less so when they (men) earn more EXCEPT when the man earns substantially more. The the man is more likely to bring up/demand a prenup more likely because he doesn't expect the marriage to last either he's been burned before or has a wandering eye for the next younger/hotter wife due to his substantial earning 'power'.
    This is so simply because for men to bring up a prenup is often frowned upon though less so when the man makes substantially more. Then it is more understood that with that kind of earning 'power' they have to protect themselves.

• or because he reads the statistics, and know that there's a 33% chance of divorce (aproximately), and that the girl initiates 75% (aproximately) of them. Meaning 25% of all mariages end because the woman files divorce, whereas only 8.25% ends because a male files divorce.

I know statistics ain't the best you got, but a 1/4 chance she'll leave? It'd be foolish to at least not have a slight backup to ensure you're not getting fucked

What Girls Said 7

• i think whoever is earning more or has the larger estate/inheritance brings it up.

• it is something that comes up during the engagment period.
    As who it is that brings it up the person that stands to lose most from a split is the one that have the subject closest to the heart. A prenup is also a good way to suss out any "golddigger" before the marriage.

• I don't think so, if I was to marry I'd ask for a prenup definitely

• Yeah because a lot of guys are obsessed with the idea that their wife will leave them and take everything they own.

• I wanted a prenup, he didn't care.

• It's whoever has the most to lose if the marriage goes awry.

• I would bring it up, if I ever wanted to get married. You need to protect yourself. If a guy brought it up before me, I wouldn't be upset, I'd understand.

What Guys Said 13

• In the case of younger people, it is quote often the parents of one of the two who brings up the subject.

• Yes because guys stand to lose a fuckton more if the marriage goes down the drain in which case the woman goes away with his cash, assets and kids.

• Haha, what's there to protect? I have $547 in my checking account, a 1990 Miata and a Rolex I nicked from a restaurant table in Morocco. A pre-nup would be pointless for me hahahaha. I guess whoever has the assets brings it up, I certainly wouldn't...

• Most of the time, the man will propose the prenuptial agreement because men have more to lose financially.

• It's mainly the breadwinner.

• Or the girl's dad.

• Why would the father in law ask that?

• His daughter might have more savings than the guy.
      He might be thinking about what happens to his inheritance.

• Yes because it is women that can be gold diggers and the divorce laws are biased in favour of women.

• Well men typically make more money than women so I would imagine so.

• Not anymore.

• Men tend to earn more money than women, so they tend to bring it up more.

• why would you get married by the state, do it under GOD

• Have you not noticed all the single women who became super rich never tend to get married? None of the women on The View, Oprah, basically every Female in Hollywood (unless their husbands have more money), it just proves the point that women don't want to admit, Marriage is still very much about financial security. The other evidence is there are more women in college now than men, single women are four times more likely to own property than single men, this is feeding into a low marriage rate for the same reason

• That is why college educated guys have it easier in finding a partner they are a rare breed

• Doesn't change the fact that yr life could be infinitely better with a life partner.

Besides, what kinda security is that, anyway?

One of my brothers had that sorta playboy life. Not all the money, but all the women, and enough bikes and cars and what have you. Until a drunk hit-and-run one night shattered both his arms.

I still happened to be in touch with one of his "boring" exes. She dropped it all, came out, took care of him.

He had 2 shattered arms. That girl wiped his ass every time he had to go potty, for almost half a year.

Well, they're married now.

Who's gna wipe yr ass if that happens?

Financial security is a bullshit illusion. Money can't wipe yr ass, push you around, and keep you wanting to live.

• Since the one who has more money is generally the guy I would assume so. Especially in the past that was true and today I'm sure it's still the norm.