How do you feel about bridal veils?

Veils are traditional, but they can be cumbersome. Headpieces and fascinators are a growing trend in bridal fashion. Which do you prefer?

• I prefer the traditional veil
  • I would prefer a more progressive look
  • I like both
  • I hate both

Most Helpful Guy

• I always thought that veils were kinda strange looking, to be honest. But I don't care enough about it to make a fuss if that's what my bride really wanted.

That said, flowers in her hair are just amazing. On wedding day, daily life, whatever.

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 8

• The tradition of bridal veils was supposedly "a symbolic reference to the virginity of the bride thereafter. A bride may wear the face veil through the ceremony. Then either her father lifts the veil, presenting the bride to her groom, or the groom lifts the veil to symbolically consummate the marriage."

Considering most people are far from being virgins when they get married its kind of a joke. Unless people prefer them for aesthetic reasons I don't really think they are necessary.

• That's very interesting. Thanks for that tidbit! I love trivia.

• 100% useless.

• It doesn't matter to me either way, I am not interested in the formality of the wedding, but rather what it represents, to me the bridal veil is virtually purposeless.

• I'm not really a veil fan. I like an open and exposed look.

• Honestly if it's my wedding day I'm not even going to notice what she's wearing... It really doesn't matter to me she can wear whatever she'd feel prettier in.

• They seem a bit old fashioned to me.

• I don't know what a fascinator is, but I would probably prefer it over a veil.

• I prefer flowers in the hair.

• How about marry in normal clothes?

• How terribly unromantic, darling, no.

• Untraditional, yes. Unromantic, absolutely not. Fuck traditions. This isn't the fifteenth century.

• It's a special day for making memories. Why not look your best?

What Girls Said 8

• Veils are so pretty but I've always said that if I get married I'll wear like a suit and like a hat or fascinator with a short veil. That way I can reuse it XD
    ep.yimg.com/.../...h-feather-crystal-accents-2.jpg

• If I wear a veil, I dont want it covering my face. This is good

trends4ever.com/.../...un-Hairstyles-with-Veil.jpg

• To me it's like you have a big piece of toilet paper attached to your head, you know?

• Lmao I never saw it that way but ok

• I hate veils, I don't understand why anyone would want a long piece of fabric flowing from their head. Because its tradition does not mean it looks good.

Fascinators seem like something a guest would be wearing.

I would rather wear a hairband.
    cdn2.bigcommerce.com/.../...er-bridal-headband.jpg

www.laceandfavour.com/.../...-freesia-rgb-new9.jpg

• We don't typically wear hats to weddings here so there's no danger of that for me.

• I like both. I think that they can both look really awesome. If I got either, it'd probably be a headpiece rather than a veil, and even if I got a veil, I'd want a quite short one. But yeah, they're both nice! :)

• I have always found veils to be kind of like cellophane on a bakery tray, ya know?

• Yeah, I think I get the idea. I'm trying to work out exactly how much of a pretentious Classics student I'd look if I decided to wear a laurel wreath for my wedding :P

• Ooh! That sounds awesome!

• i like them both, but yeah i can see the appeal of the more progressive look too. =]

• I don't mind veils, but I absolutely will not have one over my face. I actually just want a pretty tiara with the color of my bridesmaid dresses in it.

• well the unveiling is a part of the marriage ceremony but for aesthetic purposes its ugly

• Veil are traditional in here.

I like them and the guys like it too I guess.