Please choose a response below. Note that the responses can overlap. So, choose the one that you side with most. :)
- A legal arrangement that unites two families for peace3% (2)12% (6)7% (8)Vote
- A legal arrangement that unites two families, embodied by two individuals, for peace17% (10)10% (5)14% (15)Vote
- A legal arrangement that serves to bring forth a legitimate heir of the property and assets3% (2)4% (2)4% (4)Vote
- An economic decision that benefits the two uniting families and/or the individuals involved2% (1)2% (1)2% (2)Vote
- A societal construct to maintain inheritance rights, peace, financial security, and family connections31% (18)29% (14)30% (32)Vote
- A personal/subjective/arbitrary decision that has no benefits over being single legally or otherwise14% (8)29% (14)21% (22)Vote
- A spiritual relationship or religious rite30% (17)14% (7)22% (24)Vote
Most Helpful Guy
Inheritance rights can be settled with a will. No idea what "peace" is supposed to mean. Financial security, the only benefit is taxes; and, if you're a male, then you also have to throw in the risk of losing half your assets, your children, and half your income.
I picked that it has no benefits, because that is the answer closest, to me. Whatever legal or tax benefits exist are overshadowed by the tremendous risk of loss, should she decide to divorce me and take all my shit. Should I need power of attorney, that can be given outside the confines of marriage, as well.
As for family connections, those don't exist without government and religious approval?
Marriage is an outdated and flawed religious institution. The mere idea of a serial monogamist species deciding to dedicate their entire lives to the other is simply ludicrous to me. People mistake their own nature. We are not geese. We are primates.0
- Show AllShow Less
Most Helpful Girl
I picked the last one only because it's the closest to my view of marriage, though it's still pretty far off.
I'm not religious, but I believe there is a significance to being married and that it is not just another level of commitment, but a binding of two people in a deep and lasting way. It's two individuals coming together to form their own family (whether they plan to have children or not) and a uniting of families.0