What is your view of marriage?

Please choose a response below. Note that the responses can overlap. So, choose the one that you side with most. :)

• A legal arrangement that unites two families for peace
  • A legal arrangement that unites two families, embodied by two individuals, for peace
  • A legal arrangement that serves to bring forth a legitimate heir of the property and assets
  • An economic decision that benefits the two uniting families and/or the individuals involved
  • A societal construct to maintain inheritance rights, peace, financial security, and family connections
  • A personal/subjective/arbitrary decision that has no benefits over being single legally or otherwise
  • A spiritual relationship or religious rite

Most Helpful Guy

• Inheritance rights can be settled with a will. No idea what "peace" is supposed to mean. Financial security, the only benefit is taxes; and, if you're a male, then you also have to throw in the risk of losing half your assets, your children, and half your income.

I picked that it has no benefits, because that is the answer closest, to me. Whatever legal or tax benefits exist are overshadowed by the tremendous risk of loss, should she decide to divorce me and take all my shit. Should I need power of attorney, that can be given outside the confines of marriage, as well.

As for family connections, those don't exist without government and religious approval?

Marriage is an outdated and flawed religious institution. The mere idea of a serial monogamist species deciding to dedicate their entire lives to the other is simply ludicrous to me. People mistake their own nature. We are not geese. We are primates.

• Well, there are some people who accept the good and evil of themselves, and there are some people who accept the good and want to make right of the evil, even if the evil is deeply ingrained in human nature. But that's okay. If you believe that human nature is essentially evil and that the amazing grace of God will "save a wretch like" you, then you accept that you are imperfect, and should be humble. Whatever good you do does not come from you alone, but from God.

• The God comment was supposed to be a pop culture reference. But apparently, you didn't understand that. Ah, well. That's okay. It's not important.

• I tend to avoid popculture, generally.

Most Helpful Girl

• I picked the last one only because it's the closest to my view of marriage, though it's still pretty far off.

I'm not religious, but I believe there is a significance to being married and that it is not just another level of commitment, but a binding of two people in a deep and lasting way. It's two individuals coming together to form their own family (whether they plan to have children or not) and a uniting of families.

• "Spiritual" does not necessarily mean "religious". It may mean "of or relating to something that has relevant meaning in one's life".

What Guys Said 14

• You are missing the last one "All of the Above" plus being forced to marry because you just knocked her up and her father has a really big gun.

People get married for various reasons. Peace for the families and nations. Produce an heir for an empire. Married because it's too tough to survive alone with only 1 income. Connections, businesses, rankings, social standing benefits... etc. You just like each other. Got drunk and got married. Random guy in a fancy bathrobe told you to.

Lots of reasons. People don't really need reasons to get busy. Marriage is like the extension of getting busy so other will not mess with your partner.

• 1. G@G only allows a handful of poll selections.

2. Yes, I did say answers can overlap. But I also said that you should select which one you lean toward most. What you've just told me is descriptive of what marriage is on an objective level, but I did not asked for that. I asked for what marriage means to you on a subjective/personal level.

• The legal status of marriage is important. A legal marriage would recognize the partners in the union as part of one household, and the government would treat the household as one entity instead of two individual members. This may be used in taxation, tax benefits (regarding married couples and dependants), and inheritance. The marriage license is permission to marry within a province, and the marriage certificate is the physical proof of that union.

Obviously, there are boundaries to a legal marriage. If there weren't, then a corrupt person may find a loophole in the law and claim a "marriage" to a turtle that belongs to a wealthy, deceased person, and would hold inheritance rights to the deceased person's property, if the deceased person has never written a will. That example may sound preposterous, but then people can be very creative, sometimes to a fault.

• Married couples pay a little more tax if they earn roughly equal amount. The tax bebenfits are for couples with one earning member. There are some benefits but you can get that at a later age when you just nweed the status.

The legal status has more to do with the economic reason for marriage than something like a holy union. There are certain things like claims for inheritance or personal effects but essentially people don't get married because of those.

• I voted F - Personally I don't see the point of marriage - I would happily cohabit and have children with a woman without marriage

• That may not be a legal marriage, but it may be recognized as a marriage in the cultural sense. If a man and a woman live together and raise children together, then their families and society at large may treat the relationship as a marriage. The law will not, simply because it is not written on paper. Socially, it may be.

• Proof to a state official that you are married to a person. Without legal proof, you may be denied marital benefits that would otherwise be given to you.

Also, on a personal note, you may meet a woman who just won't have sex with you unless there is a marriage license and a wedding involved. So, the extra marital benefit in this case is sex.

• First part while true sounds like plot from a sci fi movie so it doesn't make me like marriage anymore - I will concede on point B if I ever met a girl like that - In Ireland a lot of couples cohabit without much fuss, if needs be you can get a lawyer to draw up papers to cover legal requirements, don't have to get married.

• Marriage is the final bonding between two individuals. The combination is to be regarded as a clear declaration of kinship, regardless of anything else.

• A contract to make the State know you decided to marry, raise children (most probably), and share your assets.

Potentially, this will give them the power to strip the assets from the man and gain utility through the "benefit" of the woman and the child.

• Well, if more men avoid marriage because of the fear of getting scammed by their ex-wives, then maybe the government would look at that and change the law in order to give more incentives for men to marry.

• It will take a while, but we might get there at some point.

• I don't know, I've seen people marry for various reasons...
    I just see marriage as making it Official Official that you love eachother, celebrating it with your loved ones.

• I view it as a official document so the government knows who your life partner is.

• It's when two mature People who love each other want to stay with each other... And be with each other is called marriage...

Other than that it's just a piece of legal paper... if two people are right for each other then it is actually a marriage

• I used to think F), but now that you put it that way, I think it's actually E).

Interesting.

• Excellent choices

• Voted F as I see no real point in marriage.

• instead of a, put me down for b

• Marriage is all of what you said

• None of these addresses the fundamental purpose in my view. To provide a stable home environment in which to nurture the next generation. Marriage is because human children need a lot of care and when people stopped living in small tribal societies something had to supply what was lost.

• A fucking idiotic atrocity.

What Girls Said 10

• I see marriage as a beautiful ritual
    I would love to get married, I want to be a ble to wear that White Beautiful dress. I want it to be special for Me and my man, I don't see it as an obligation of nothing because if it was the guy would never have proposed, I see more like in a romantic way then anything else.
    I'm a Hopeless Romantic, that's my problem!

• I went with religious because there is no legal reason I want to get married, I just want to promise to stay with my boyfriend forever and have a ceremony and all that because I love him

• Kind of all of them, no?

• It's where I get a partner to grow old and fat with me. I'll be damned if I grow old and fat alone...

• Marriage : Something that i am supposed to do in my mid 30s.
    As a future lawyer i would choose C or E

• E is the best answer

• it's the root of all evil

• These all sound so medieval in reasoning! It made me giggle.

• A societal construct seems most accurate to how I view marriage.

• You can think of marriage as "a religious celebration" or "the union between souls," but if you live in a western country marriage is a legal/economic arrangement first and foremost. Marital status has many legal benefits, changes taxes, allows you to visit someone in the hospital (in the ICU sections where on family is allowed in).

It can't just be a religious or spiritual thing until all those legal benefits are separated from it.