Why are people so scare of marriage due to the divorce rates?

Honestly, I think it's stupid to worry about the stats (especially since it's 50-50, not 90-10), because why worry about other people's failing relationships? If anything, people should wondering WHY those marraiges failed and avoid that.
And if you're scared of marraige, why enter into any relationship in the first place? Most people rarely take with their highschool sweetheart, so what date in highschool? To me, it's the same logic.

Most Helpful Guy

• because if, statistically, there is a high chance that your relationship won't last, you have to look at what happens if it does, indeed fail.
    Child support? alimony? having a judge strip ownership of your house from you and grant it to your spouse, despite it being bought in your name and with your money? vindictive exes?
    I am not opposed to the idea of marriage, but if the relationship goes south, it often ruins lives, at least financially. And, despite every claim to the contrary, it tends to hurt men, financially, much more then it does women, when things fall apart.

As for, why enter into a relationship in the first place? because if my girlfriend of 40 years leaves me, all that happened was a relationship ended. Wife of 3 months leaves me, and I can be financially ruined.

did you know that a woman's divorce lawyer can LOSE HIS JOB, supposedly for "failing to do everything he can for his client," if he does not encourage her to bring up sexual, physical, or emotional abuse, either of her, or of the kids? EVEN IF NO SUCH ABUSE EVER OCCURRED? A divorce court does not need evidence a crime occurred, just the claim backed by witnesses, and so a woman's lawyer has to push for such lies, knowing they are lies, OR ELSE LOSE HIS JOB, in order to get her the best possible deal out of everything?

Men see marriage as a trap that can destroy their lives, not because it ties them down and strips them of their promiscuous freedom (despite the typical myth that THAT is the reason to avoid marriage), but because if anything goes wrong, and divorce happens, unless their is gratuitous proof she did some great wrong, he knows her lawyers, and the judge, will work to destroy him, and he will be left homeless, and penniless, when all is said and done. And if they had kids, despite his need to pay child support (or else face jail), statistically, his ex is likely to either fight to prevent him from having ANY visitation rights, or is likely to do nothing but talk shit in his absence, tarnishing him in the eyes of his children, who will see him not as "daddy," but as the vile monster from his vindictive ex wife's twisted stories.

Some marriages last. Some last and stay happy. Some end in a way that harms no one. But there are enough horror stories out there that men have reasons to run far from marriage.

• I'm sorry, I don't believe a woman would those things to an ex-husband and there were no signs she was terrible beforehand. I've seen far too many time where men marry women they had absolutely no business marrying.

• I never said it always happens. I didn't even say it happens a lot. It just happens enough that horror stories, which can be proven true, float around out there.
      And as for what divorce lawyers encouraging women to lie about abuse? Look it up. Terrifying but true.
      Most men who get married will either stay married, or their divorce will be more or less amicable. A few though are left completely destroyed by their divorce, sometimes for reasons that appear to be nothing but pure vindictiveness. You asked why men are afraid of marriage, I gave you an honest answer.

What Guys Said 11

• Yes, of course that's natural, because nobody wants to make a relationship and then break it someday. I mean if the break up is going to happen, then why make a relationship in first place. Hence these people might be self aware that one day their marriage will indeed end up in divorce, hence they are scared of marriage.

• Ultimately, guys want sex. If they can avoid marriage they will because of the costs of a divorce. However, many guys will enter a relationdhip because it is a compromise in order to have sex with one woman.

• Well personally I dont see what Marriage really have to do with a loving relationship anyway. You dont need a piece of paper or a ring in a true loving relationship. You obviously can live life as partners just fine and be happy without it.

But agree that people should worry about their own and not other peoples marriages or relationships anyway.

• You want the truth? the thing that is really scaring me about marriage is cheating , i know i dont cheat iam not that kind of person , sure the other gender finds me attractive and all but i dont cheat thats not my thing , but iam afraid of women cheating on me , i kinda had this thing with a girl ( not even a relationship ) we were dating and she was jumping from guy to guy , she was smart, talented and pretty and deep as well not the kind girl who would cheat , also listening to my friends and their stories i got a bit discouraged as well... so right now iam looking for a girl that is loyal and faithful , I don't know where to find her and in fact I don't know how these girls look like but i do know that i want one of them. cause lets face it women are emotional and its not uncommon to hear about a woman getting emotionally attached to her new coworker or husbands friend or something and end up doing something sexual , so yeah...

• I know I am never ever getting married. Could not think of anything worse than marriage.

• Most guys might love a woman enough to marry her but they don't want to fall into the trap of being taken to the cleaners by her if it falls apart.

• Well I fant speak for women but men are scared because when the woman leaves she gets everything. thats enough to put me off marriage.

• I thought the whole point of Pre-nup is to prevent that.

• A 50/50 is a high risk factor. If divorce courts weren't so unfair towards males, probably people would have been more lenient.

• People are scared of marriage due to divorce rates. What is confusing about that? Wouldn't you look at the odds before placing a bet on a horse? Oh I forgot, Americans aren't supposed to gamble.

• Guys aren't scared of marriage because of the stats

They're scared of being divorced and losing all his shit. Women can't seem to see that for some reason

• In most relationships, if you break up you don't have to keep paying money to the other person.

• Isn't that what a pre-nip is for?

• Most people don't have them.

Most people are offended if you ask for one.

Some courts throw them out anyway.

What Girls Said 0