Which kind of dance for 'first dance' at a wedding?

Note: I'm NOT getting married

I'm often finding myself daydreaming fantasing about my eventual wedding and what i want it to kind of be like, i keep coming back to the first dance. I do actually take latin dance lessons and would love to do a bachata dance for my first dance, have a look at the video below:

However i know not every will want to dance like that, so i'm just wondering what kinda dance would people most commonly do at a wedding, we talking like a Waltz or just your standard 'slow dance' (which admitley i'd find a bit boring, but if it was with the girl i love i wouldn't care too much)

Most Helpful Girl

• Have you been to many weddings? See, the thing is, people will all kinda be paying attention to you... but, at the same time, they probably won't FULLY be paying attention to you. If you plan out something that's truly performance art, this may turn out to be a bit anticlimactic.

On the other hand, it's absolutely possible that you could stop the music during the reception, and put on a show. That would be pretty cool, for sure.

And it's just as possible that you could spontaneously stop somewhere, anywhere, and just decide to put on a performance for yourselves and only for yourselves. My husband has pulled over for our share of impromptu tangos in random empty downtown parking lots at 4AM, and, those moments touched my heart a lot more than I might have expected.

Most Helpful Guy

• I have done a choreographed wedding dance and there are a few points you must remember.

1. The girl will be wearing a wedding dress. This can make some movements more difficult and, depending on the dress, it may also hide much of the hip action that characterizes some dances.

2. A wedding is a stressful event for the bride and groom. Of course it is a happy day but it is also marked by worries about everything happening according to plans, self-consciousness about being in front of a church full of people, will the bartender show up on time, etc. If both partners are not very comfortable with dancing, this can add an other source of stress to the day. In general, one tactic for planning a successful wedding is to minimize the sources of stress.

• I'm very comfortable with dancing (had 2 years of lessons so far) ofc i know my bride might not be so

What Girls Said 6

• Our first dance was a slow dance, my Dad and Mom cut in, then his parents cut in and danced with him and I. Then the parents together, dancing with my Dad and his Mom his Dad my Mom then back to their spouses. A few dances later it was a free for all of cutting in pinning money onto my gown or into his tux pockets. Beauty won over Brawn in the money count by a lot! My feet hurt after that, both from the shoes and being stepped on a few times!
    Once those were out of the way most of the songs the DJ played were somewhat slower romantic so people could slow dance to them.

• im not sure what kind of dance it'd b. probably slow [boring] lol, classy, or maybe even sexy like a tango.

• We probably won't have one because he hates dancing lol

• I would keep it to a slow dance. Something romantic with people joining us after a while.

• Bachata can be very romantic, especially if you connect with the song (ok the lyrics are in Spanish but the meaning can easily be interpreted)

• not for me. It's not in my culture. I can only imagine doing a slow dance with my boyfriend... and when he begins to dance, it's always way too funny,

• It's not in my culture either (Have you seen your generic Brit trying to dance, it's hilarious)

• i'd rather not... lol.

• Swing. But I'm a professional swing dancer so I'm a little biased lol

What Guys Said 3

• I went to a wedding where the first dance was... the chicken dance.

It started out with a normal song, and suddenly switched to the chicken dance performed by the bride and groom. The music progressed to a bunch of other random songs like Gangnam Style... to get the people riled out. It basically got everyone in the dancing mood and everyone got up to the dance floor.

Sometimes, if you have an opening dance, and just leave the floor, the rest of the audience hasn't been placed in the mood to dance, and they'll stay in their seats.

• 0|0
  • I'd go for something slow and classic, usual slow dance for a wedding.