Waiting for the ring. How long and why?

When you're in a serious relationship, how long do you wait for the ring before you move on?

This question isn't about me. I'm honestly curious about yourselves.

Most Helpful Guy

• You wait until you think he isn't going to make it happen. Then you jump ship.
    But the other side of that is that you need to see how he feels about it. Maybe he does want to marry you but wants to accomplish certain things (like a house, good job, savings account) before he gets married. So find these things out and set an idea of a time frame and agree that you will see where things are on that date. If he is still making "excuses" then run away.

Most Helpful Girl

• I've dated my boyfriend for 4 years. We've been living together for 2 years now. I hope to get a ring from him, he's already given me what he calls a "pre-engagement" ring. He says it's a ring to show me that he plans on giving me an engagement ring and a wedding ring eventually.
    We're both 20 right now and he knows I want to get married early so I'm going to give him 3 years at most. Engaged at 23, married around 24. Doesn't sound bad right?

What Guys Said 8

• Depends on how long she takes to bring me a sandwich... oh wait, this is the 21t century, I can go get the sandwich myself :)

-_-

• Speaking in general, I think it will depend on the person and as to how patient they are as a person.

• Have you discussed your future together? I had a friend who waited 2 years before engagement due to circumstances. Also have a cousin with 3 kids who've been together for 10 years and still aren't married. Your call.

• I want to date 2-5 years... Then be engaged for 1-3 years so... Life goals.

• I wait for the ring until she no longer wants it.

• I think if you feel that the option is ring or move on, taking that ring is probably wrong to begin with.

There's no set deadline on this though. It can 10 years or one year.

• Forever?

Seriously it feels like everyone but me is incapable of being in a committed long term relationship without being financially tied down to each other via marriage...

• As long as you can stand it

What Girls Said 8

• I've been with my boyfriend for over 2 years now. We're both 23 and still finishing up school so no plans to get married within the next year or so.

How long will I wait? For 2 more years or so would be fine by me. We've already discussed our plans for the future so know we both see that as our end-goal. Though we agreed we'd first both want to get settled as in graduate, find good jobs and essentially become fully and comfortably self-sufficient before taking that next step.

• I mean, after 2 years he must make a move. Specially if I start dating him after 25/26.

• my boyfriend says that, when he proposes, he wants to get married within the year. since he just started working again, i have a feeling that it'll be a while before we're in the financial position to do it right (lol).

that said, before i met him, i had no interest in marriage at all. ergo i have been in several serious relationships with no expectation of a ring.

it's a matter of personal choice, nothing more and nothing less.

• Marriage isn't a priority for me so as long as we were both happy in the relationship I wouldn't care.

• what do u mean? that's up to the guy.

• Sometimes it might not happen
    Some people are in serious relationships and have kids but have never been married
    It's to do with the people
    You don't need a ring to make your relationship last

• As long as it takes. If you love him it shouldn't matter. But if he's serious he will ask when you least expect it.

• If the relationship is so good & serious, why does their need to be a ring? Its just an object. Plus a lot of guys just don't care about a marriage & are happy with how things are.

I was with my guy for 4 years & when we went to take pictures with Santa for fun he proposed, it was unexpected. If these things are important to you then you need to discuss them with your boyfriend.