Would you marry if marriage led to paying more income taxes?

Each year, your husband or wife and you would pay more income taxes as a married couple than if you didn't marry.

Maybe that's not the case where you live, so just imagine that was the case where you lived.

• Yes, even if it means paying $ 10'000 or more every year.
  • Yes, I'm willing to pay up to $ 10'000 more every year.
  • Yes, I'm willing to pay up to $ 5'000 more every year.
  • Yes, I'm willing to pay up to $ 1'000 more every year.
  • No way!

Most Helpful Guy

• absolutely not. as it stands today you can file jointly or separately which makes a big difference when considering your combined incomes.

but if marriage meant definitely paying higher taxes i definitely wouldn't do it

• You really don't know tax law, do you? Filing separately ALWAYS results in more total taxes being paid than filing single.

• @WalterRadio actually it doesn't. if you have a combined income over a certain amount it can be better to file individually. i'm certainly no expert on tax but (never claimed to be) but i did do my first filing last year as a married couple and was a bit surprised to see that joint filing isn't necessarily cheaper depending on incomes of both people

• I have to concede. I just looked at the current brackets and the structure has indeed changed since the last time I looked number of years ago.

Used to be, the bracket levels were closer to single, when what I said was correct, but now they are half of married. That can make a difference. Hmm.

Most Helpful Girl

• No, because it's just a legal document. if your of spirituality you can make a vow under god and if not umm I don't know what angriest would do.

What Guys Said 10

• I personally have friends who did not get married because their income taxes would go up.

The right answer is to extract the government from marriage, with no reference to it for taxes, benefits, or law. People can still have agreements under civil contract law and have those enforced, but the government would be out.

• Generally speaking, as a guy, taxes are negligible when compared to the cost of getting and keeping a wife, so it wouldn't matter at all.

• If it meant a thousand dollars more taxes a year I would be like, "Babe, I'll buy you gold coins with some of the money and you can wear them like jewelry. We're not getting legally married."

• If I'm getting married you can bet I'm willing to sacrfice a lot more than just my money. Still, I'd only do it if she wants it. A piece of paper or my bank account are irrelevant to my feelings towards her.

• As a man, aren't we already a sacrificial lamb giving away most of our money to the family?

But thay sucks. No wonder people marry wit hit officiality

• Yeah, but that's not money you're giving to the family, but the state.

• I noticed people aren't marrying but are sorted un officially.

• Yeah 💁🏻

• Exactly why would I be paying more on income taxes? Where would my money go?

• why - marriage penalty. google it.
      where would it go - it goes to the government.

• I don't understand the nut that thought this marriage penalty/bonus crap up.

Why SHOULD it go to the government?

• me neither

beats me. if I had to guess, they just want to punish the non-traditional families.

• Money should not factor in on the love equation.

• Thats why im not married. Anyway why do I need an expensive party, religious ceremony as well as government permission and recognition to acknowledge my commitment to the woman I love?

• No marriage is already pointless, with extra taxes it would be certainly be stupid

• Stupid or true love? ;)

• I hope so, but when even men think " Money should not factor in on the love equation. "

• Yeah it shouldn't, but neither should marriage. Marriage is just a document to prove to the goverment that you're together, but I don't think it's anything to do with them, I shouldn't have to prove it to them

What Girls Said 6

• I answered "no way". I'm probably going to marry my boyfriend but it's not a dream of mine to begin with. It's cool but not being married wouldn't bother me that much. What matters it to live a happy life with him... if that means paying a lot more taxes and having it affecting our lifestyle? then I wouldn't do it.

• Aside from love, one of the main benefits of marriage is to reduce taxes and other expenses.

• The latter is not the case for everyone in the world.

• This is a ridiculous question, because if you're married, you have more income. Therefore as a couple you're paying more taxes because your income is higher. Plus it's a lot cheaper to maintain one house than it is to maintain two houses, to have everyone on one insurance plan then to have to two single plans, to share groceries, travel costs, car insurance, etc. So ultimately you're saving money.

• Why would you suddenly have more income when you get married? Do you and him automatically get a pay rise when you marry? Someone did not understand the question. Also one house vs two houses. Nobody said you had to live in separate houses when you don't marry. Live-in relationships are pretty popular these days.

• Okay.. Yeah. I thought you meant not being in a relationship at all... an excuse to be a player

• Are you a millionaire's daughter?

• With your looks, both are viable options 😊

• Haha thanks :p <3 <3 <3

• Yes I would, because thats not the only factor going in to the equation of getting married. the other benefits of it make it worth it to me

• What are the other benefits you can't get otherwise?