Why is marriage so strongly associated with the Christian God?

Marriages happen among people of other religions. In the US, why do we make it so much about God? That's the biggest reason why gay marriage was illegal for so long, because Christian people thought it was wrong. So why does marriage have to be a Christian event?

Most Helpful Guy

• Christianity doesn't own marriage.

Marriages happen among people of about all religions.
    Marriages happen among atheists too.

But many Americans only know about Christianity.

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 21

• Actually the reason that gay marriage was illegal, beyond the christians, is because it was specificly between a man and a woman. It was a social contract where a man would provide for the woman and in turn she would give him exclusive reproductive rights. Obviously you cannot have that with two men as both are capable providors (prior to technology men where the only ones who could really provide for others) and neither can reproduce with the other. So from a logical stand point it makes sense that marriage would not be applicable to homosexuals. Not that I am against it, I think their are so many additional laws that factor in currently that we can safely say that its original meaning is secondary and thus would be applicable to homosexuals as well. So that was one argument against it. As for it being christian, I imagine jewish people have jewish weddings as well as muslim, hindu etc etc. I think it is mostly associated with christianity in the U. S. because 70% of the population identifies as some kind of christian denomination.

• It's not. Christians make it a Christian thing although they recognize that marriage happens in all cultures. However, if Christians think that marriage "is between 1 man and 1 woman" as it says in the Bible, they might want to take a closer look...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFkeKKszXTw

• It doesn't it's because Christianity is the most practiced religion in the USA

• It doesn't have to. The founders of America itself were mostly Christian so I guess some of those beliefs clung on tight

• Because the country was founded predominately by christians and its leaders were almost entirely Christian until fairly recently

• Religions have been borrowing things from each other since they were invented. Christmas was co-opted from a pagan holiday, for example. Then give them a book of stores and fables written by ancient goat herders, rewritten, edited, and translated countless times, split into multiple versions, and give them the option to cherry pick what they will and will not believe based on their particular sect and what it teaches, and you have the basis of the problem. Now throw on top of that fundamentalists and extremists who favor theocracies and wish to enshrine their beliefs into law, and now you have people thinking their interpretation of a book they don't even understand is correct for everyone.

• I don't try to understand religious people. It's too complicated.

• I suppose it sort of depends in the country you are in.
    Marriage in the U. S. seems to be more centred to a Christian event because of the fact that Christianity is the most common belief in the U. S., along with the fact that Christianity is also deeply rooted in the American culture.
    The reason for the same association to take place in many places across the world where the aforementioned variables do not exist is due to the abundance of American media being prevalent across the globe.

• I don't think it's associated with the Christian god. But I did hear of how marriage is just a result of religion which I'm not sure if it's true or not. Marriage existed before religion but I'm not sure if these marriages are the same as the ones we have today.

• nether the wife or i are religious and went to the court house to get married. that was over 20 years ago and only cost 25 $

• If I'm not mistaken, there is only one God. I strongly doubt that "Christians" are "owning" marriage.

• Marriages cost money - you need a priest to officially marry and some court documents - all equals cash and money

They survive because people get married in churches

• Because that's what marriage is. There was no such thing as monogamous marriages in anything other than religion. That's why we have marriage today.

• I swear if you ask Americans, they would say something like the non-Christians don't marry each other.

• Christians like to say God invented marriage because it's in the bible and a lot of Christians take the bible pretty much word for word but deep down they know that's not true.

• You do realize that you both believe in the same God, right?

• Sorry. Answered the wrong question.

US Christianity is weird. It's so far off base from the Bible, I don't think it should be considered Christianity anymore.

• be god created marriage. what? you think humans could've created marriage, as selfish and divided as most are?

• It is strange really, because marriage long predates Christianity and organised religions.

• because marriage IS a product of the one true God. He made Adam and Eve to be together. gay marriage is perverse.

• To be fair, Gay marriage is wrong if we're sticking to Christianity but the reasons go a bit beyond that. Whilst I would encourage anyone to be with whoever they love I do feel that forcing others to let you be part of their exclusive little sect with these or those specific believes that you defy is a bit of an asshole move.

I quite like the idea you hinted at about making marriage a non-religious event. That would let me not sigh so much when people who hate the opinions of the religion they are marrying into marry.
    And maybe I could finally hook up with my briefcase. Damn it. We're meant for each other.

• In most other societies, marriage is between a man and a woman. It's not like gay marriage is popular in China or India.

What Girls Said 5

• because marriage is a religious institution, not just a legal one. marriage is in the bible. it's a christian event because it is a christian sacrament, and it has been for centuries.

• Then how is it that marriage still exists in other religions?

• Do you have proof to back that up?

• it's all in the bible and online. no I'm not bothered getting into it. u can research it if u wish.

• It wasn't only Christan people who thought it was unnatural so you can stop with your Christian bashing.

• The US is 75% Christian I believe so that's probably the reason for the phenomenon

• It's not associated with "god" at all, marriages exist in all the countries in the world, among all religions and among the atheists too.

• a marriage is between a woman and a man. Gay marriage is bullshit 70 % of gay marriage go to an divorce in less than 1 years