Should married people have a best friend of the opposite sex?

Like hanging out together at the gym or a restaurant (just the 2) and texting and playing video games online? Or even hugging?

My wife yelled at me when she caught me hanging out with my female best friend and when I hugged her goodbye in front of my wife.

• Yes
  • No
We are just friends!

Most Helpful Girl

• See most affairs start like this. You start hanging out more together and are "just friends" till someone/both develop (s) feelings. A guy and a girl can't just be best friends. Someone always develops feelings. Michael Jackson even stated it himself.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think at a single stage yes, dating stage maybe I will say as a man drop all your other "best lady friends" since it can create jealousy in your spouse, I have never been married but I seen it happen it's not pretty

What Girls Said 4

• No, and I want to know why you always post the same question.

Lol

• I would feel like her, you shouldn't have best friends of the opposite sex can't you don't do this things with your wife?

• I would not let my husband hang out with another girl if i am not around. No way.

• suppose you fight a lot and you start to develop more feelings for your best friend then there you have it.. it's temptation... or even if the relation is going well between yiu and your wife the grass is always greener on the other side.

What Guys Said 2

• Define "caught"?

It really depends on the dynamics of your relationship with your wife, and whether she knows of these other girls. If she doesn't know who these girls are, she may feel you are seeing them behind her back. If they are mutual friends, or you were friends with them long before marriage, that may be a different story.

Some people simply tend to get along with a specific gender. I have almost all female friends, and like...0.5 guy friends. My wife knows this... since I picked 2 girls as my groomswomen for my wedding. She doesn't really care when I go out to hang with them. Sometimes its dinner to get caught up every couple months. I have a few closer girl friends I see once or twice a week, where we'll play video games on the weekend or go skiiing. Wife doesn't really care. I don't hide if from her, and she's always invited, even though she almost always refuses to go (She's not athletic and hates video games). But she doesn't feel like she needs to watch over me for fear that something "funny" is going on, because she sees how I act around my friends, and it's not flirty.

• Not so much "should not" as "cannot." It's not impossible, it's just very, very unlikely for an adult man and woman to be totally platonic friends with no undercurrent of sexual interest from either side.