Guys, is it important to you that the girl take your last name when getting married? Girls how do you feel?

• I'm a guy and she HAS to take my last name if she wants to marry me.
  • I'm a guy and its okay if she doesn't want to take my last name
  • I'm a guy and I'm willing to take HER last name
  • I'm a girl and I will take his last name
  • I'm a girl and I rather not take his last name
  • How about we just hyphen the names (Ex. Renee Burkett-Lee)
  • I'm gay/lesbian so where do I tie into this poll?

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm doing a combined name. My surname is already very rare and a dying breed I have to keep that name alive forever and of course I'd take my Hubby's last name not because of tradition, but because he's MINEEEE☺☺ Forevaaaa*Cardi B spin*

• Lol well at least you ain't "stingy with yo kutty kat" *joseline spin*

• Grab's chest with shock eye's*BRUHHHHHH... I think I love you!!! Lol😍😚

Most Helpful Guy

• Well it's important to me that she does take my last name I mean I won't make her take it but I would prefer she does. If she wants to keep her last name though that is ok as well.

• Would you ever take her last name? Or double barrel your name?

• No I'd never take her last name and I don't know about double barreling my last name.

What Girls Said 26

• my man and i have discussed this, and it seems that it's the only thing we don't agree on.

i have a hyphenated name currently~ my biological father is jones and my (step) dad's name is brown, so i've gone by von jones-brown since i was 13; my boyfriend's last name is williams.

i've never liked my biological father's name anyway (super long and ethnic, no one can spell it), plus we're not close. so i was thinking i'd replace his name with my boyfriend's last name and subtract the hyphen, which would make me von williams brown.

however, my man is not into the idea at all~ he's very traditional that way and doesn't see the point (since we're not having kids); he thinks that me keeping my name is basically an insult/the equivalent of saying that his isn't good enough.

my thoughts:

1) it honours both families: the one that raised me and the one i've joined;
    2) if anything happens (not that i think it will), i don't have to change it back.

i really don't want something so petty as a name to cause issues in our otherwise-awesome relationship, but i should probably figure out how to cross the bridge before i get there.

• Yes he should get over it. At least you're trying to compromise

• I voted D.
    I have no problem with other people not doing it. Actually, I'm pretty sure that a tons of woman who don't take their husband last name find marriage way more important than I do.
    Taking his last name and having a ring on my finger are the only perks I actually see in marriage. I want to have the same last name as our future children and I see it as a way to be our own little family. I can't imagine having a different name than them and don't want my kids to have two last names (or me for that matter)

• I will be taking my partners last name when we marry, I think it's an important symbol of togetherness and even more important when raising a family to show you are united. Deep but true!

• When i get married i do want to take his last time. Then I'd feel i "belonged" to him, and only him

• Pretty sure I'll take his last name. I want us to have the same last name. If he wants mine that would be fine.

• I really don't care either way. I believe my boyfriend is actually taking my last name instead though when we get married.

• Wow that would be nice to see

• I seriously don't care what people do. It's a huge hassle to change your name so I can understand why a lot of people don't want to. I'm not going to MAKE them go to all that work if they don't want to.

• If anything its you he's expecting to change the name

• Where are you that they make you jump through hoops?

• @Jack_S The US.

• I will not take my husband's last name. In my culture that's not how it works, I want to keep my father's last name. However, my kids will have their father's last name.
    I would'nt mind if some people call me Misses (insert Husband last name) but officially I would always keep my Papa's last name.

• I would most likely take his last name, mine is hard as hell for lots of people and it sounds ugly too (would have sounded even uglier if communists haven't cut the second half of it). But if his last name were to be worse than mine, I would ask to take mine instead. 😂

• Lol wrong just wrong haha

• Could be a mix, my last name and his/her last name. But I refuse to change my last name to take my partner's.

• I'd most likely take his name. I think there's a 75% chance I'd take his name 20% of hyphenated, and 5% keep my last name.

• Talking about changing your last name is complicated and not always an easy decision. Some people care about this piece of themselves, others do not. So I think it depends on the person and the feelings they have towards their name.

As for myself, I have very strong feelings towards my name and it is very hard to explain it with words. I'll try anyways.

My name is something I love and hold dear to my heart. It is a piece of my identity and it's a bond that my dad and I have. For me, it represents my origins, my history but most importantly it is represents my family. Whenever I hear my last name, it reminds me of them and of their endless love.

So to be asked to give this piece away, to change this intricate part of myself, is unfathomable. I would never ask someone that I love to change something so precious and important. I'd be selfish to do so.

• I'd rather not exchange my name for his - I'd keep both.

• Yea i'd like her to do the same

• Taking his last name. I've never understood the obsession of "keeping your last name so your name can live on for generations" who cares were all gonna die so it will be pointless anyways. Unless you actually left behind a noble legacy like being a president or something I can understand, but if you woke at McDonald's who fuck cares?

• I dont like my last name and the family it ties me too. So, i would change my last name. Plus if i ever get married me and my husband would have different last names that is just dumb.

• I am not going to take his last name because we are not supposed to in our religion.

• Ohhh I never knew this

• So whose last name do the kids get?

• The kids keep their father's last name. :)

• I'm absolutely taking his ^_^

• No way, no.

• To be honest, I don't care. :p

• The benefit to being female in this situation is that you'd be able to change your last name if you had an embarrassing last name like "Butts".

• I'm indifferent.

• I'd rather to keep my own name:)

• Nope I wouldn't take his name the divorce rate is to high and I ain't walkin around baring the name of a man that I'm nolonger associated with, keeping my own 😊

• Lol well if you hyphen the last name, can't the second half just be removed later?

• I kept mine and my kids have mine as well :D

• Wow and he doesn't care?

• No why would he care? Why would having a penis automatically give him naming rights? We did it fair, we flipped a coin and I won!-lol

• We're having double barreled name when we get married. We both get to keep our names that way. Mine is very important to me, so I don't want to give it up and I want to pass it on.

• Awww thats so sweet. And he's taking hyphening his las name too?

• Yea, both of us. We've planned it for our children too. That way, we all have the same name still and both sides of the family keep their names :)

• For business purposes, I am keeping my last name. But if he really wanted me to take his last name, then I would legally (just not for my work). I don't mind introducing myself as Mrs. (whatever his last name is).

What Guys Said 6

• I don't want to get married. Hypothetically if I did get married, I wouldn't really care if she took my last name. Whether or not I would take her name would depend on what it is and how it sounds with my first name.

Also it would depend on her reasoning, like if she has an attachment to her name and wants to carry it on then that's understandable. However if its just a power-play/stick it to the patriarchy sort of thing then she can fuck off.

• Lol well whose last name would the kids get?

• I don't think I want kids but is guess whichever last name is the most aesthetically pleasing to the ears.

• I'm a guy, and she WILL NOT take my last name. Where is that option?

• I'm also probably not marrying. Marriage basically constitutes signing a useless piece of paper that just makes it harder to get out of the relationship and doesn't have any worth, and making a huge fuss about it.

• Yes. If your getting married i think she should take her spouses last name.

• I would rather take her name, I don't like mine :P

• If anything id rather her keep her own name but I don't really care what she does.

• Why would you rather that?

• I'm a guy and I'm not getting married

• Lol i guess i shouldve made that an option l