Is a marriage Solely just for the benefits between citizens of the same country Legal?

Been wondering for some time now.

Here's mt example, can 2 legal citizens of the same nation or country solely marry just for the benefits? Such as if both parties are US Citizens in the US and/or 2 Canadians marrying this way in Canada?

I know something like this had been Banned and clearly made illegal ONLY FOR fake marriages of conveniences or sham marriages between an "immigrant" and a "citizen" of Another country all trying to cheat the system and gain the Green Card for Residency status and Benefits, but wasn't sure if the same would have ANY Legal Ramifications or ANY penalties at all if the scenario and examples above were to happen?

In other words, it's a fake marriage jyst for the benefits, there is no love, no sex, no wedding, and no honeymoon, and both parties may not even live together or even often be able to see each other. A "marriage" that is Only treated as a short-term business contract type of scenario, and then once the contract expires, both parties move on and go their separate ways or renew their contract for the time noth parties mutually agreed to.

Would any of you consider something like this if it's NOT Illegal when and if you are still unmarried and have no children of your own by the time you reach your 40s? Or your 50s? Or maybe in your 60s (retirement age range)?
If anyone ever saw that movie "I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry" or "Strange Bedfellows" they might get be getting idea of what I was referring to, well almost anyway. I've yet to see a movie when it's a fake marriage between a man and a woman trying to take advantage of the system. But I had been wondering how different it would be in real life and if it would really help much or significantly at all at least for around the time near a person's retirement age such as their late 50s or 60s.

Most Helpful Guy

• Can this be done? Absolutely! Has it been done? I have no doubt that some couples have done this.

Just as there are some tax benefits of marriage, there's also the negatives when it's over. Marriage is NOT a legal binding contract in the business sense. There are legal issues that either party can carry out against the other should the split not go so nicely. And no, they don't have to follow the "agreement" when divorce comes around. They just have to follow the law. It's possible to make the other individual's life be extremely financially miserable forever. Marriage shouldn't be taken lightly by anyone, not just from a legal standpoint but especially from a relationship one as well.

• I see, unfortunately people can't put a trial or expiration on a marriage, and make it temporary and then end it without any possible disastrous consequences for either party.

If both parties were in it for something like this, what are the best and most appropriate steps they both should take so that neither of them would get screwed over by the system or each other?

I wonder if there is really any way to prevent a split from "not going so nicely". I mean if both parties are already clear and mutually agreed on it, and they rarely even see each other or live with each other in the first place then would that reduce the chance of a terrible split from happening? As there were no emotions in the first place or emotions that they had invested into each other in the first place?

I get what you meant by you can't make a "legal" agreement that the marriage was only for a X number of years or months and will expire once that X amount of time.

• You can't make marriage to be a "contract" because it's not. It's a covenant. A promise. A desire to be with each other forever. Everything you describe is exactly what far too any couples do - simply live with each other and not be married. They're technically free to leave the relationship at any time with darn few consequences. Add in children, or any joint legal agreements (a house, apartment rental, bank accounts, vehicles, etc), and then life can get real sticky about leaving. But basically, that's what you're saying.

• Children would be completely out of the picture. I'd long taken precautionary measures and undergo a sterilization procedure such as vasectomy unless I know I am already sterile.

I meant that if it's a fake marriage between 2 legal citizens, a marriage just on paper, no honeymoon, no kids, no wedding, and we not be actually even living together if we decide that it's better for us then we don't. Well I would think it's better we don't, but then again you did say split the expenses between a minimum of 2 people.

How much is needed and what are the requirements to fake a marriage like that?

And I'm only actually considering something like this probably by the time when I am near retirement age such as in my late 50s and negotiate and talk with some women that may also be around that age that does not have kids on whether she'd be willing agree to something like this and see if it actually would help with our retirements, and/or our finances in any way.

What Girls Said 1

• What? There are benefits for being married?

• Just all that various "legal" written shit and laws passed on things typically relevant to finances and taxes in marriages. That's why I had been viewing "modern marriage" as more of a business contract and a piece of paper rather than truly about relationships, love, and various emotional factors and/or motives.

• I've never looked into it with my husband. We legitimately don't care. I doubt most married couples do. Which is why we don't see it as a business contract. The fact that you view it as a business contract speaks for itself dude.

• Hey, whatever @mutedausy, if Marriage works out for you then stick with it, if it makes you genuinely happy and if you're feel fulfilled by it then it's for you.

Marriage is not absolutely for everyone, well for the current modern system anyway, otherwise how and why would you explain those about 50 percent divorce rates then?

In my case scenario, I'd got nobody to marry, but I'm fine with the lack of additional unwanted obligations, particularly financial ones, I'm just not financially stable enough and more importantly I don't ever want any children either, thanks to the way and the current state of the world. That is also something that is not absolutely for everyone.

My examples are just "what if" scenarios if 2 persons went into a marriage temporarily to try and gain benefits as the sole purpose or motive because neither party truly wanted to be married to each other for any other purpose.

What Guys Said 2

• The fake marriage you described wouldn't qualify for many benefits in the first place. Some of the main legal benefits of marriage are having a dependent living with you, sharing a bank account and even the wedding can be written off on your taxes.

So even if it were legal it would be a waste of time.

• That's very useful advice. I was not aware if scenarios or situations like those examples I've made would really make much of a difference, even if it was NOT Legal.

I would like to hear if anyone else actually disagrees on this or have different perspectives about it.

• @VirginiaBeachBum a spouse can be a dependent if they don't work and the wedding can be written off by exploiting the system.
      In case you didn't realize based on the question he was talking about exploiting the system anyway.

• Just because one spouse is dependent on the other for financial reasons doesn't make them a dependent for tax purposes. The IRS uses their own definition. Pick up a form 1040 and tell me where a spouse is deemed a dependent and not an exemption. A spouse is recorded as an exemption in 6(b), the dependents are listed in section 6(c). Their dependent status is built in to the tax tables when they file together. Did you ever notice that at levels under about $75,000, the tax tables for single and married filing separately are identical? And as far as writing off the wedding, let's first get some perspective here.

blog.turbotax.intuit.com/.../

Writing off fees to the church or non-profit venue, and about half of the amount spent on flowers, leftover food, clothing, etc. that are donated afterwords is a drop in the ocean compared to the cost of a full formal wedding. And those only come into play when you can benefit from itemizing.

• Since it wouldn't violate any federal immigration laws, yes, except to terminate that "contract:" would require annulment or divorce. Marriages don't have expiration provisions.

• Yes, by default those type of "contracts" do not expire legally. Both parties would gave to come to a clear mutual agreement that they would be in thus type of marriage for X number of Months or Years.

• *have, gosh I hate mobile phone touch screen keyboards, they really suck, but then again I think it's just my phone itself