Would you sign a prenup?

I do not believe in prenups and I will never sign a prenuptial agreement. It's unromantic and if you trust your partner 100%, a prenup should be redundant. I think a marriage should not even take place if you feel the need to sign one and the thought of a possible divorce should not even cross your mind before getting married.

• Yes. I would
  • No. I wouldn't

Most Helpful Girl

• Nope, I would not.
    And if he asks for one, obviously we are not on the same page.

What Guys Said 56

• Your opinion is totally justified, but, it is the same as having car insurance. I don't want to be in an accident and don't plan on one happening, but if it ever did, I want proper insurance. You have to remember you cannot predict the future. There is no guarantee the person you fall in love with now will still be the same person years from now. You need that protection. It isn't fair to have a certain life built up and then you marry someone who can now take half of it if they want! You also have to remember that many people do not get happily divorced. It is usually very emotional with lots of anger and desire to hurt that person as badly as possible. This is usually done financially through evil lawyers. Prenups only protect what is fairly yours and prevents an ex from getting what they don't deserve!

• With how the world is going nowadays, I better get a prenup xD Let's see if the system changes when I get married, and the "winner" of the divorce isn't defined by gender.

If I get married I don't plan on getting divorced, but I don't know 100% what my wife would be thinking.

• Out of curiosity, would you be just as adamant about that if she made more money than you?

• @POTAYTOPOTAHTO I hope I don't have to have that worry either, I definitely don't wanna marry if I'm thinking that way, but I just rather not risk it. I know of men (even in my family), that have gotten fucked by the divorce, even when they thought that woman was the love of their life.

• I'm sorry to hear that. I think I'd say that no one really "wins" in divorce. Not from what I've seen. It really sucks for everyone involved.

• You live in an idealistic fantasy world. A prenup is just insurance that you don't get fucked over in a divorce. You'd never buy a car or house without insurance, right? (Or would you?). What happens if a tree comes crashing through your house and you don't have insurance? The money you have locked up is gone. Prenups are just insurance against the improbable but very real chance you could get divorced and you lose your assets. You're absolutely right that they're not romantic but neither is the idea of signing a legal document saying you're bound to one another until one of you gets sick of the other and decides to clean house. In a perfect world prenups wouldn't exist, but there'd also be no "irreconcilable differences".

• When I was 18 years old, I felt as you do on this subject. However, I have been divorced twice. I am dating a woman who has more assets and more financial security than I do. I do not want any of her family thinking that I am interested in her money. Therefore, I would sign a prenuptial agreement.

• I'd sign one in the case of a large amount of assets being brought into the marriage by one or both partners. While both enter in absolutely good faith, things happen in life and circumstances change. It's different if you have two middle class folks tying the knot and having a family fortune in play. I'd want to be compensated fully in the agreement but I would understand the necessity.

• Should a healthy person have health insurance? Of course they should because shit can always happen. Same thing for a marriage. I couldn't be with someone who didn't have the wisdom to want a prenup both for her and myself. Just like with health insurance we don't expect anything to go wrong and we hope it doesn't but life never goes as planned and every predictable eventuality should be prepared for. To not do so is foolish in my eyes and I couldn't be with someone who I consider foolish.

This may seem harsh to some people but I think romantic idealism is foolhardy in my opinion. Bad things can happen regardless of our initial intentions in life. Vigilance and preparedness is key to stay ahead of the game because if we don't we get left behind.

• No because they get thrown out of court so often they are all but useless. Its not romancit but neither is the divorce rate and considering that women initiate 80% of divorces and yet (even if the wife cheated) men pay 80% of alimony/childsuport while she gets full custody nearly 80% of the time means that I wouldn't marry her if she wasn't willing to give, even that ineffective, symbolic sign of assurance. Though to be fair I wouldn't marry to begin with.

• Yes. Regardless of how romantic the marriage is. People change, you don't always retain friends or positive views towards someone who at one point you thought would be in your life forever, which then leads people to make vindictive decisions. Also I think most don't understand how prenups work and the impact they have.

• It's naive to think that literally nothing could go wrong in a relationship at some point, even if that thinking is unromantic. Yes, I would sign it.

• I didn't expect majority to be irrational.. 😕 people need to be realistic.. lol.. life is not a fairytale

• Nothing about marriage is romantic.

It's literally nothing but finances and legal property. If you're religious that's another thing but I'm not.

• You can trust the person when you get married 100% It's when you're no longer in love that's the problem. People become VERY different people in a divorce. Guys especially have a lot to loose and often get taken to the cleaners. It's why I don't ever want to get married (or very reluctant to) and I believe in prenups 100% If you get a divorce, both people should leave with what they came into the relationship with and anything obtained in the relationship should be split equally or agreed upon by both people. You say possible divorce shouldn't even cross your mind lol, well in a perfect world but get real here. Divorce rate is highest it's ever been and something like 50% or higher. If you're realistic then divorce is a very good possibility these days. Nobody intends or expects it, but it happens for sure.

• It also doesn't mean that you're expecting a divorce is going to happen either. It's just looking at the long term realistically and protecting yourself should that happen.

• If you trust your partner 100% then you will sign it... not the other way around.
    I wouldn't get married without a prenup, and I would most likely end the relationship with a person who would refuse to sign one.

• Signing a pre-nup is also showing that you are not a gold digger, and that you honestly care about your partner and not his/her money. It's saying "I love you richer or poorer". Many people who are wealthy ave so many people who want them just for there money, it's a test of dedication. To say "I'll never sign one"is saying to your partner "I am ONLY interested in your money, and I am going to dump you like yesterdays laundry the moment I have this ring". That's hardly someone that a potential partner wants to be with.

• Of course you don't need to worry about it, because at the end of the day chances are you are better off in case of divorce than the guy will be. As a guy though I definitely would be going for a prenu despite knowing that it potentially implies a lack of trust.

Think about it this way though, the absence of a prenup could very well make the marriage more difficult, because when things get rough the guy might fear for getting the short end of the stick while the safety of a prenup will make him feel more secure and make him feel more trusting towards you, because you are with him for him and not for what he has to offer in case of a divorce.

• Honestly, if you think about it that way, even marriage is unromantic considering it's just a legal binding that verifies that you can now legally have sex with your partner and your church approves of it.

What's truly romantic is to trust your partner without making them sign papers in the first place. If you sign papers, you may as well sign two.

• Just about every relationship you get in you think is forever and things won't change. But often they do. In fact most relationships don't last.
    If you will never change, than signing one would make no difference would it?
    The fact you would refuse just shows you do plan on taking more than what you brought to the relationship if it comes to devorce.

• Women have everything to lose if they sign a prenup. Hence it's only in your own interest that you don't want to sign a prenup. Women are just as inconstant in love as men. In some societies, women are worse than men when it comes to fidelity. You don't give a tinker's cuss about romance and trust and all that rot. YOU just want to have the right to take your prospective husband to the cleaners should he displease you in some way in the future. Read the last line again, slowly and try to look at this from a prospective husband's point of view... Doesn't seem very 'romantic' or 'trusting', of you, does it? Most guys trust the girls they marry implicitly and wouldn't dream of making them sign prenuptial agreements... But your insidious reluctance to sign a piece of paper that, fate-willing, will never be manifested in your married life, proves how how frighteningly manipulative you are. I do not envy the dolt that decided that he wanted YOU in his life or any whelp that will have the singular misfortune of having you for a mother. Trust is a two way street, madam. Learn to dispense it before demanding it.

• Absolutely not. Under no circumstances would I sign one. In fact, if I were engaged to a girl and she asked me to sign one, I would end the relationship then and there.

• If I bring a billion dollars to the wedding and she brings a ford torus how is it fair she leaves with 500 000 000 dollers

• Agree with everything you just said. I have an amazing girlfriend and hopefully one day will become my wife. I will not ask her to sign one.

• Depends on to whose advantage it is, most marriages will end in divorce at some point especially the ones who marry young and celebrities so it's a good idea if one of you has a lot to lose when it doesn't work out but for most couples it isn't necessary and why would you care if your not in it to get their money later and really want them

• no one gets married thinking they will need a prenup, reality is though that 50% + do need one, that nice loving girl you married turns into a raging psychopath when you get divorced and a prenup is your only chance at even remotely being treated fairly.

If a woman won't sign a prenup she can't be trusted, if she loves you she would never put you into such a compromising position.

• Never. I wouldn't ask a woman to either. It means that you don't 100% believe in the marriage, which I would interpret as insulting and hurtful. By that same token though however, I wouldn't marry one of those independent sorts of women either who wants to have a life apart from me, since the way I see it is that we've become one flesh and are in everything together.

• Yeah I have much to lose, so I would sign up for a prenup. Then again, if I trust her enough and know that she's not that kind of person, then probably wouldn't.

• I would love to trust a girl enough not to need one, but I know far too many guys that have been cleaned out by women they trusted.
    So no way in hell would I get married without one. The way it is right now, the wife gets sick of her husband and gets all his stuff. Hard to understand when its not your hard work at risk.

• Well women always say they'd never take advantage of a divorce to pilfer a man's wealth but then it happens. Divorce happens and any man would be extremely naive to not protect themselves. Shame on you for trying to guilt people for protecting their well being. You're fucking 18 what the hell do you know about the complexities of adult relationships? Who the hell are you to judge people for being cautious?

• Something you should keep in mind: people don't get stabbed in the back by their enemies. You don't get comfortable enough with your enemies to get that vulnerable. Betrayal comes from the people you trust. If you can't understand that then you've obviously never been betrayed and your opinion on the matter is worth cat shit.

• Yeah, my dad thought that my mom loved him with all of her heart. That was a lie that lasted 20 years.

My mom was whoring around, not giving a shit about my dad or my marriage back in the 80's/90's. It's gotten way worse since then - people cheat on their marriages, divorce like crazy, but the vast majority of the time men suffer.

Yeah, I'll sign a prenup. Better yet, just don't get married.

• For all the dreamers out there things can go wrong anytime. I had the happiest marriage I could ask for. However after a particular incident in our life together things changed and precipitated gradually. When I eventually came into a whole load of money she wanted out. I did too however She took a very healthy slice of what was rightfully mine but through marriagecshe was legally entitled to. So basically if you are going to be the biggest wealth contributor then sign a prenup otherwise you'll be kicking yourself for being so naieve.

• I'm not signing one since I won't get married to begin with. I've seen judges toss them out and do what they want to do anyway. Prenups don't really hold much weight in court. I'm just going to find that sweet girl who realizes that marriage is just a piece of paper. That to me is the less romantic part. Why does love need a contract to begin with? I'd rather be on a beach island with her, than in a courthouse filling out paperwork to make our love "official" in the eyes of the state.

• Prenup is like an insurance so the ones who voted no are clearly gold diggers.

• More from Guys
    26

2 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 38

• The real question is whether you'd make these same statements if you were realistically going to be the higher earner (and/or if you stand to inherit significant wealth of some type).

I make 4-5 times my husband's income, and I'm going to be the primary earner pretty much in perpetuity.
    When we married, we didn't execute a pre-nuptial agreement -- mostly because, tbh, I didn't want to bother with the formalities or the legal costs. I am a go-hard-or-go-home type with everything in my life, and I don't break my promises, and this one's for life. I just didn't see the need.

BUT, my point is this: Those statements actually MEAN something coming from me, because I would be the one who'd lose everything, practically speaking, in the event of a divorce. My husband would have nothing to lose, so, really, his opinion about pre-nuptial agreements (he really didn't give shit #1 either way) wouldn't have carried any weight.

So... when you approach this situation, which side are you approaching it from?

If you are almost certainly going to be the primary earner in yr marriage, then, yr statements carry considerable weight, and yr attitude toward commitment deserves commendation.

On the other hand, if you are NOT going to be the primary earner -- or there's less than a good chance of that -- then, yr statements here frankly don't mean anything, because there's too much self-interest at cross purposes with them.
    In that kind of situation, you should be willing to show yr commitment to the marriage BY BEING WILLING to sign the agreement, if anything.

So, yeah, depends. Which side are you approaching this from?

• I don't believe in prenups period. I don't care who brings in more money, it's completely irrelevant to me.

• Looking at asker's age and lack of arguments (apart from "durrrrr I donts believes in it") it seems she's approaching the matter from lala land's perspective where DAH TRUUU LURV wouldn't require a prenup.

• Yes I would, and my father told me to get one as well-- because it's not that I'd plan for a divorce, but breaking up and divorce can turn people into really ugly people and do nasty things, so if all I have left is myself and what is mine then so be it. It's just reality, no one ever goes into marriage thinking of a plan when to get divorced, shit just happens.

• I'm not at all against prenups. Then again, I also think that the notion of marriage for love in itself is a little unrealistic. Feelings change, people change, and if you're going into it blinded by "love" then I think there's a pretty high chance it's going to work out.

There is nothing wrong with being realistic about it. After all, half of all marriages end in divorce, and I can guarantee those people never thought they'd get divorced. If anything, they're probably the "blinded by love" people I'm talking about.

• "the thought of a possible divorce should not even cross your mind before getting married."

NOBODY thinks their marriage will turn to shit when they're at the altar. EVERYONE believes THEIR relationship is strong and will last forever.

People don't purposely go into marriage thinking it will fall apart, they don't PLAN to for their marriage to end, but half the time it DOES.

You don't know what the future holds, people split for all kinds of reasons be it infidelity, love fading away, death of the mutual child, etc.

It's this kind of lack of planning that results in one party shamelessly taking away all the other's livelihood through the outrageously unfair divorce courts.

• I would, not because I don't trust my partner but because you never know what could happen down the road and I would want to be prepared and have things figured out if the worst case scenario would happen.

• Fuck yeah I would. Sure it's unromantic but it's just a plan B. And usually people hope that they won't have to use a plan B (in any scenario regarding basically anything, not just prenups) so it's not like you're wishing that the marriage would fail. Quite the opposite. You're just preparing yourself for every possible outcome, and considering that like 50% of marriages fail nowadays, it's not at all weird to make a logical choice. Do you really think that all of the people in the "failed marriages" category thought the marriage would fail? Of course not. That's why they got married, because they thought that they would live together for the rest of their lives. But they were wrong and their love didn't last. In which case, a plan B is in order so that everything doesn't just automatically fly off the handle during the divorce.

• The car insurance thing is a good comparison. You don't take it personally when an insurance company offers you a car insurance. You don't interpet it as "ohmagaawd they think I'm a shit driver and that I'm out to hurt myself and wreck my car", you take it as them wanting to make sure that you get everything you need IF you end up in a car crash. The same applies to prenups.

• I have my own assets that I want to protect. I'm not getting married without a prenup. Even if the prenup says "I agree that that money is hers and will always be hers and I will never ask to touch it," that's fine.

• I'm not an expert on this but, I believe that all your assets are safe so long he wasn't considered dependent on your income. If you had a job and so did he, that's when things get juicy.

• @DBAOracle because I will obliterate him on the field of battle for the glory of the Sontaran empire.

• Hahaha... LOL. I'm really sorry for whichever man that will stand against you in divorce court...

• Fuck yeah I would, I'm not getting married, but I surely would sign that shit on someone's wedding :D

• I know that even if I don't sign one.. and something bad happens and we have to separate.. i'll not take anything that belongs to him.. so I'll be totes fine if he wants me to sign one.. I don't think it's unromantic or something.. be realistic.. people change when there's no romantic feelings anymore.. and marriage too is just a contract.. to show you're committed. if there's a trust thing we don't need to get married too.. right? :)

• hiphopconspiracy.com/.../..._md1c146XVf1rz7oed.gif

Yes this applies the other way around/to women as well...

• That gif is hilarious considering Kanye's current financial situation.😂

• @MaskedSanity
      Ikr... Well at least their marriage is lasting longer than her last 😅

• I see no problem with signing a pre-nup. No, I don't plan on getting divorced but things happen that are out of your control. People change over time and if my boyfriend or fiance asked I would sign it and brush it off. There is no point in worrying about a possibility in the future, focus on the here and now, focusing to much on possibilities could lead to problems and arguments that can cause divorce. Focus on your love in the moment instead of throwing a temper tantrum over a piece of paper that may or may not even be needed in the future.

• If you ain't no punk holla We Want Prenup
    We want prenup!, yeah!

I'm so for the prenup. My husband and I kind of rushed our wedding but I actually asked for one from him. It protects you if God forbid something bad happens to them, the family can't then claim that your stuff was his. Or worse you divorce, then it's clear as day who gets what and is way less volatile and messy.

• Yes. How else will I be sure I get the best cats if we split up?

• doesn't apply to me since i won't b having sex before marriage.

• What does that have to do with anything? Your husband could still take all your money from you if you divorced.

• Well no, I don't. All I'm saying is that in cases of marriage, nothing happens unless both parties agree on it. You are but one of those two people. If one day he decides he doesn't want it anymore, or whatever, what could you to do hold him to it and keep it from ending in divorce?

• I would. I don't know the future and want to protect myself just in case, that's being financially smart. I don't see a problem with that.

• then why get married?

• @amazon-boy I'm not 100% sure I want to get married. But if I ever did, then a prenup seems totally rational for me. I make decent money, and have already given a large sum to an ex who left the state with that. I'm not making the same mistake again.

• As long as it is equitable, why not?
    You can include anything you want. Like if he cheated you get the house and the bank account.

• I would fine signing one. I would actually prefer to. It may be "unromantic" but it makes things a lot easier in the long run. You would both know where you stand if it ends.

I don't mind talking about the possibility of not being with someone, of course I wouldn't ever want that, I could stay with one guy for the rest of my life and be perfectly happy. But you never know if one of you may change or want different things, some of those things may be deal breakers for the other person. It sucks but it happens and I don't see the big deal in just discussing the possibility. Discussing it and being open to discussing it could actually make your relationship better because it would tell you a lot about the person you;'re with as well.

• If he had a lot more money than me, yes no problem at all since I wouldn't be marrying him for his cash. If we we're relatively even I would wonder why he was requesting one, to be honest the question is irrelevant to me as any man who was choosing to marry me would know that I would never take what isn't rightfully mine, he would know that I play very fair even when upset or wronged.

• I would feel upset if my fiance ever asked me to sign one because it would make me feel like he doesn't trust me and expects our relationship to fail, but if I really loved him, I would sign it for him. Still, it would put some bad thoughts in my head.

• If he wanted but, all that I want out of a marriage is love from the other person. A marriage is supposed to be an equal partnership. And, if a divorce comes for someone, that partnership ends.

Personally, I wouldn't get married unless I could see a future because I don't believe in divorce.

• Absolutely. It is idiotic not to

• Actually, it is very stupid not to sign a prenup. Do you think that when couples divorce it's first what crosses their minds when getting married? No, but they consider the possibility, thus making it easier for both of them in the future to divide property purchased in the marriage period. And I don't see anything "unromantic" about the effort to avoid as many problems in the future as possible.

• I feel like divorce is never part of the plan when it comes to marriages committed for the right reasons. But you have to be careful. There are too many people put there who are really out to screw you over. You don't hope for it but it happens way too often. Sometimes people aren't who you thought they really were. It's better safe than sorry i think. If a guy asked me to sign one, I'd gladly do it. If I were to say no I could completely understand why he wouldn't want to go through with it

• I wouldn't get married without a pre-nup. I would absolutely require one in order to get married. I have far too many assets and a nice salary that I wouldn't want to surrender in case something goes wrong. I am a big believer in marriage and do not support divorce unless it is the only option (cheating, abuse, etc) and if you're willing to commit to someone for life you should be willing to discuss the highly unlikely maturely, work through your marital issues and have a safety net for both people. I wouldn't want someone to take half of my assets or vice versa. It benefits both people even if divorce is highly unlikely.

• Nope, I don't plan on getting divorced. No matter how rocky things get we are going to work it out unless things are like really really really which I highly doubt will happen. In my culture couple stay strong all throughout through thick and thin and we just don't believe in getting divorved. We take and value these things very well. If my boyfriend demands that than I'll probably re consider marrying him.

• If you won't sign in I wonder what you're in for? The love or the money? If you believe in a lasting marriage, you will not think about this for a second. Hell, I would make MY guy sign a contract. However, if your spouse cheats on you, there should be a clause in the prenub for that

• At this point in time, no, because it's unnecessary. My partner and I both have no major assets requiring a prenup. However, if either of us aquired an

• *anything like that, we definitely would. You never know what the future holds. Better safe than sorry.

• I don't think I would.

• yeh i would. i dont care enough to overthink its implications. i recognize people change over time and relationships will never be perfect. shit happens, people change and people should be careful. if anything, sounds kinda smart to me.

• I am 100% getting a prenuptial agreement signed.

• More from Girls
    8