Should I buy or rent my wedding dress?

My wedding budget is modest. I just can’t bring myself to invest thousands of dollars in a dress, so I figured renting or pre-owned might be the way to go. But buying is also nice because I will always have the option of passing it on to my daughters if I have any. That dress can also bring up some good memories of the big day. I know it's just a dress but it still has some sentimental value and I might feel emotionally attached to that dress.

Most Helpful Girl

• I would not recommend renting one... bridal gowns are generally tailored to fit and I think you'll regret it in the long run when you end up with an ill-fitting dress that you're stuck in all day and for pictures.

There's no reason why the dress has to be insanely expensive though. I think my sister in law spent 2 grand and she looked gorgeous.

You could consider pre-owned and then getting it tailored to fit.

What Guys Said 3

• Rent it.

• I think I'd like my girlfriend to buy our wedding dress.

It's probably the most concrete thing we'll be keeping as a memory from that special day, so I believe it'd be nice. ;)

• Rent.

It's not like you'll wear it again!

What Girls Said 5

• I would rent mine because I would like to look like a princess so I'm probably aiming for something really pricey ! And in my country we wear different dresses for the many celebrations before the wedding, If I bought all of them I will ruin my father and myself if I work.

• Why don't you buy one from like H&M and then you can have it professionally altered?

• It's completely up to you.

I'll be buying mine, I think. Because in addition to being a sentimental sap, I am a pack rat :p

• Rent since you might not wear it again. So no point in buying something you never plan to wear again.

• Rent. Why spend the money on something you're gonna wear once...