How many did you go through until you found "the one"?

This question came up in a family conversation. Did any of you, who are married, marry the first person you fell in love with? If not, how many SOs did you go through before finding the right person, and ultimately marrying them?
I do believe "first love marriages" work... but from what I can tell, they are rare.

Most Helpful Girl

• I didn't have many significant relationships before meeting my "one". Mostly short lived flings. I did think I was in love once but it was just two crazy people being crazy together. It was passion and excitement but it was not love... not like the boring, wonderful love I have with my boyfriend.

Most Helpful Guy

• If I'm counting right, I'd say the fifth girl I dated. I found her, but didn't get her. I got someone else who was not as good, and was not loved as much as the one who got away.

I know several people who married their high school sweetheart, or even middle school sweetheart, and are still together 40+ years later. Will that still happen with a younger generation in today's world? I guess you'll have to wait 40 years to find out. :) But I have no reason think it won't happen.

What Girls Said 6

• I don't feel as though any of my 'relationships' were really serious or anything worth mentioning before the one I'm currently in. We're not married but it has been discussed several times and we often talk about plans in the future, like kids and moving out, under the assumption that it'll be with each other.

• That's great for you! I was in a similar situation, except I found out my SO was a tad nuts - likely borderline personality disorder, but hey... that's just one man's opinion. I wish you two the best!

• In my opinion you got be pretty stupid to marry the first person you meet and supposedly fall in love with. You don't know up from down

• Agreed. When people would ask why I didn't marry my "first love" I would always say "How can I know what my favorite flavor of pie is, when I've only had one slice of a single flavor."

• Yes I married the only guy I had a real relationship with, the only guy I've been in love with. We grew up together (met at 18months and 3 1/2) started dating at 16 & 18, we've only ever had sex with each other. We will be celebrating 13years together this year, 9 years married. The man is my soulmate.

• I've dated guys before-a lot of guys-probably dated like 10. But my first true love is my husband. He is my first actual relationship. The other guys would just hang out with me. They wouldn't call me girlfriend or anything like that. I was with my husband for 3 months, then we moved in together and a year later got engaged, and a year later got married, now we're close to our first year of marriage.

• I'm currently at 7. Still searching.

• My boyfriend is my third relationship. And we're eventually going to marry.

What Guys Said 2

• I have always been single, and so I never found the one. I never wish to find the one either!!. I wish to remain single till the end.

• mt wife was the 3rd girlfriend i has.
    the first was the first person who would take me. the 2nd one with someone i thought i wanted and the 3rd was the one i did want