If a woman rejects your proposal is the relationship over?

I've always wondered...
After a marriage proposal rejection what happens
Are they breaking up with you?

• Its most likely over
  • Theyd just have to propose again later on in the relationship
  • Other

Most Helpful Girl

• I should think so, she just refused to be with you for the rest of your life. Some women wouldve said "Give me time or not now but on such date (insert here).

• I saw a man propose to a woman and the woman
      Sort of whispered to him for a good 5 seconds and shook her head no then left

• Yeah
      The only explanation I would accept is they
      Weren't emotionally ready, may be they had a bad past and thought it was too fast, and wanted to wait a bit longer

Other than that...
      Nothing would make me want to get back with them

• @Asker, I know what you mean

Most Helpful Guy

• I would most likely break up with her.
    Obviously before I propose we would have discussed marriage and I should know if she sees me as her future husband. So if I propose is because I was told by her that she wanted to marry, so if if she rejects, then she was lying, therefore, I have to leave.

What Girls Said 11

• well it is most likely over since that is what u are aiming towards, and if she isn't interested in marriage then she isn't interested in you. it would continue however if she tells u she just wants to be with u without getting married.

• in that case i dont think they should be together it would just be a waste of time

• I would say so too, although for the sake of the question i like to remain open minded in my answer.

• I've never understood why the relationship has to be over if one person isn't ready to get married. If my boyfriend proposed to me tomorrow, I would absolutely say no. But I would still want to be with him, I'm just not ready to go through marriage and everything yet. That doesn't mean I'm not interested in him or not willing to marry him one day, it's just that I'm not ready.

That being said, I know my boyfriend. He wouldn't propose to me out of the blue. It's definitely something we would talk about first to see what we're both feeling, where we're at financially, and what our expectations are for the relationship. So I think if he would propose, it would probably only happen after we've both agreed that we're feeling close to being ready.

• They just have to talk about it and see how they both feel.

• I think it depends on what are the reasons for the rejection... It could be that she is just not ready yet, or wants to take things slower... A "NO" doesn't always means a "NO", it can mean a "Not yet".
    In that case I think the relationship would still continue..

• I voted C, cause theyre showing no interest in having a future with you, but then again maybe they're not ready to take that big step yet.

• thats the only excuse id take is if they weren't ready but still wanted to get ready

• If a woman doesn't see herself marrying a man (if they believe in/value marriage) after being with him for a certain amount of time, I always wonder why they stay in that relationship in the first place. Second, for those women who reply to a proposal with "I want to marry you, but in X amount of time" - why does that mean you can't just have a long engagement? I've never understood that. No one says you have to have the wedding within 6 months or a year of getting that ring put on your finger.

• Depends - "I'm not ready yet" means try again after a while.
    But if it's a simple no, then leave.

• I think a rejection of marriage would change things in the relationship for the bad. If I was the one proposing and it got rejected I would not be able to cope with it.

• this is partially why i think it would be over
      the one who propsed could be heart broken

• Yes, I agree. I would if it happened

• A lot of people say no simply because they aren't at that point in their lives yet. So it just depends on the situation. I know somebody who proposed to his wife 6 times before she said yes and now they are happily married.

• I am an upfront serial dater who doesn't believe in love or monogamy.
    Despite this some totally delusional men still propose.
    I laugh it off and still continue to date them.

• youd want them to propose later on or not ever again

• Like I said in my previous post I am an "upfront serial dater", meaning, I want to stay this way
      until I am no longer "marketable" :P

I tell men this about myself from jump purely so they DONT get any false expectations about
      who I am and what I DONT want.

Peace xo

• It may end or I might just turn back into a friendship.
    It could gl either way

What Guys Said 8

• Of course it's over. Even if she wants it to carry on, the guy will forever have doubts in his mind and there is a trust thing that has been be irreparably broken. That's also why people have to think long and hard before popping that question.

If she was serious, but not ready, she could simply have a long engagement.

• how long could an engagement be

• I know a couple of friends who have been engaged for 4 so far, they want a dream wedding which is incredibly expensive and they are saving for it.

• There is a reason behind every action. Try and find out

• In that moment, they made it clear they do not want to be with me. We are done, instantly.

• If she says no, there is probably no point continuing the relationship.
    Before a man proposes, he should look into the current divorce rate (50 per cent) and how the Family Court and the Child Support Agency (that is what they are called here in Australia) give everything to the woman, destroy the man utterly, take away his children and then use child-support order to turn him into the woman's impoverished slave for the rest of his life.
    Marriage is a bad idea. Cohabiting is a bad idea, because after a qualifying period of time (two years, here in Australia) the woman gains the full legal status of a wife. Even sex is a bad idea, because of the danger of child support.

• Wow, I am considering proposing to my girlfriend of 4 years. I've wondered this to myself also. I mean, if you are in a serious, monogamous relationship, is marriage not the ultimate goal, the endgame if you will. If that is the general goal, and you feel like you have reached that point, is there any turning back once she says no? I shudder at the thought of her saying no. I would be absolutely devastated, I don't know how you go on if she says no. What would be the point? I mean, if she says yes, that doesn't mean you have to run to the courthouse or church right away and tie the knot. An engagement could last for whatever time both parties agree is acceptable. Yeah, I would have to say that the relationship at that point is null and void. I think a marriage proposal is an all or nothing proposition. Basically yes, we are to become husband and wife, or no, lets just stop wasting each other's time and move on.

• yeah thats true
      if you aren't planning on marrying them it is a waste of time
      unless you just weren't ready but wanted to marry them a couple years down the line

• Possibly I wouldn't take it as guaranteed no in all scenarios since it just be that she isn't ready for that commitment yet or doesn't feel it's the right time. In most cases it probably would be over but like I said not in all, and it really would differ per couple so there's no cookie cutter answer to that question.

• yeah i basically want to know how like you would feel in the situation if you were rejected
      in your mind is the relationship over
      or are you going to have to talk to them and see whats going through their mind

• yeah i meant to tell people
      put yourself in the situation, what would you do

• I'd find out why she said no and how she was feeling, among other things and go from there but other then that there isn't anything I can really say or think I'd do without actually being in that position.

• I my wife would have rejected my marriage proposal I would have been done.

• Good question