Did the ordained minister make a mistake?

Over a year ago, my ex and I applied for marriage licenses. The same day we went to the ordained minister (Along with one witness) and they both signed the marriage license. After they signed the marriage licenses, the ordained minister convinced me not to get married because she said she is not sure that my ex was ready, turns out he wasn't and the ceremony didn't happen. I was upset, so I grabbed the marriage license, went home and ripped it up and threw it away. Nothing got returned to the county (I called the county clerk office today and they said I was not legally married. Thank God!) But why would the ordained minister sign the marriage license first without performing a ceremony in the end. Did she commit or crime or does it not matter since I threw the marriage license away and nothing got returned?

What Guys Said 2

• Just be happy you didn't have to deal with a divorce.
    That minister saved you from what could have been a terrible decision.

• Your so right! I look back and realize she did me a HUGE favor! Thank you for your response :-)

• Doesn't matter. Nothing was filed.

What Girls Said 1

• Pretty sure that's not a crime. If you're concerned, speak to the county clerk again about it. I think it's probably standard procedure, but as I have never been married, I wouldn't know for certain.