Marrying boyfriend so we can stay together?

I started dating this guy 4 months ago. He is an international student from Kuwait and is about to graduate from college. We met in school and have gotten super close in these few months. We travel together, have many mutual friends, tell each other everything. We have just about everything in common and I am positive that I have fallen in love with him, and he has said the same things to me. The problem is: he is due to leave in mid-May, and because of this he is becoming more distant and his reason is because he has fallen for me and needs to avoid getting too attached because his feelings will otherwise continue to become stronger. We tell each other all the time how much we want to be together but this expiration date is really taking a toll on the relationship.

Would it be strange for me to bring up the possibility of marriage? That way, he could stay in the U. S. and we could continue our relationship. He hates it back home. If things don't work out, I would still stay married to him so he can lead a life here.

Guys: how would you feel if your girlfriend brought up marriage this soon, but given the situation?
Girls: How would you approach the situation?

Info about us: He's 24, I'm 21. We are both atheist, so religion is not an issue either.

TLDR; Would it be strange to bring up the possibility of marriage to my foreign boyfriend after 4 months so that he could stay in the US and we can continue out relationship?

Most Helpful Guy

• It could work out. Or not. If it doesn't, it won't be the worst possible thing as long as there are no children. You DO NOT want to be divorced with children.

Is he completely independent of his family, financially and emotionally? Is he able to support himself here (assuming he has the right to work)? Does he still care about his family's approval, or is he past that?

If you do marry, do not have children until you have been happy in the marriage for a couple of years.

Most Helpful Girl

• 'If things don't work out, I would still stay married to him so he can lead a life here'. I think you really need to think long and hard about that.

How do the people you know feel about him?
    Has anyone suggested that a visa might be what he is after?
    Are you 100% sure of his feelings for you or is there even one little thing niggling you?

I hope he is legit but what if he isn't, what if u marry him and then find out he only wanted the visa, how would you feel then?

If you really love him I would say, let him go home and see if the relationship lasts long distance. If it does, have a re-think about proposing in a year or 2.

What Guys Said 3

• If you make this offer and he accepts, you will probably eventually regret this decision. . . maybe not, but probably will.

• Have you thought about how it would be if you had kid (s) and things didn't work out

• Cool

What Girls Said 6

• "4 months " This is a terrible idea. You really haven't known one another long enough to get past the honeymoon phase. What does he think about a long distance relationship?

• Honestly just the concept of tht itself is romantic. If it were my boyfriend id commit.. the love is obviously there.

• So you're giving him a green card which he probably wants already?

• I understand as my boyfriend is an international as well. Its not about marriage dear.. Its about commitment and responsibility.. If he really loves you he will surely finds a way to make u his... My opinion is just jokingly tell or ask him leisurely lets get married so that we can stay together and look at his response... Have u guys ever talked about future?

• Um you really have to be sure if he's not just after getting a visa so please watch out ! Other than that I wish you a lot of luck.

• I think that'll be a huge mistake that you'll probably regret at one point of your life.