Would you except/give a family heirloom as a engagement ring if it wasn't cut like a modern engagement ring?

my opinion on the mater is that I would use one because I'm gonna have to be paying for the ring and I don't want to go into dept.

Most Helpful Girl

• omg the spelling errors in this question are killing me.

I would accept one, though I personally would prefer my own. There are a bunch of diamond alternatives, you should discuss with your girlfriend/fiance whether or not she would be okay with them instead of a diamond. I'm looking into the Amora gem right now, and Asha gems which many use as substitutes and are less than 5% of the price of a diamond ring.

Most Helpful Guy

• An heirloom, and you're creating it as a way to save money? That's history, your family's history right there that you're talking about.

• except if the women and you get a divorce and she keeps the ring it is no longer a family heirloom. honoring family and tradition in my opinion would be giving it to female member of the family that was not married into it.

• But then it would not be fulfilling its purpose. You could have a prenup written that stipulated the return of the ring in the event of divorce.

What Girls Said 1

• Ehh, I'm not sure. I really like the idea of a family heirloom but if it's really gaudy, I doubt I'd want to wear it. I guess I'd accept because hey, it's still lovely and just wear it around my neck (which is more comfortable anyway).

What Guys Said 1

• There's no reason she shouldn't snd if she demands her own ring let her pay for it or demand that she gave you a present of the same value.