If you got married would you change your last name if your future spouse wanted you to? Whats your reasoning?

Or if your already married then just vote closest to what you did. No maybes cuz I know that will prolly get the most votes. If your not sure then just pick one.

• Yes.
  • No.
  • I would want them to change their name not mine.

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 21

• I always believe that women marry into their husband's family. Basically, carry out the male family name. And I believe the husband is the head of the household. Us having different last names or having my last name doesn't reflect that. Just my opinion. We're equals, but yeah, that's how I feel.

• if he realllllly wanted me to, i would... but i kinda don't want to.

• No I won't change my last name. I would have built my career on my last name and people will know me as such. If I had to change my last name it would be a hassle.
    Also it's my identity. I don't want to lose my identity and my individuality just because I married.
    It has nothing to do with lack of commitment. It just means I don't want to lose my identity.

• No, I want to keep my last name. If he insisted, I would simply put his on the end, that's a very fair compromise.

• Meh, I don't really care about it so I guess.

• Yeah I don't see why not, or I'd hyphenate it.

• What if he had a crap last name like Woodcock?

I think it's based on whoever has the best last name, or ideally, you may change your name together, one new identity to go with your new relationship.

• I would want a mutual decision on who is changing their last name.

• I would honestly want to add on their last name. Which wouldn't be weird for him since that's what they do in his country anyways. Plus it will be funny as hell. :D

• I would be changing my last name without them having to ask

• I don't want to change my last name. I'm known professionally by my current name and have published some research under my maiden name as well. I don't want to have to start over from square one. I also don't really believe in the whole "in order to be a real family you have to share the same last name!" thing. I think that's codswallop. Your family is anyone who loves you and takes care of you. Something as trite as a name doesn't define that.

• Yes, would be an honor to carry my husband's name and I would make sure to wear it proudly.

• I'd change my last name either way. I don't see anything wrong with doing that.

• if their last name sounded better than mine, which i doubt because i won the last name lottery

• I already plan on it

• If his last name was cooler than mine then yes I would change it, but I kinda like my name lol.

• Personally I'd want to change my last name so it doesn't matter what anyone else would think or say

• I would change my last name either way. I don't understand how some people find this sexist.

• I would rather keep the coolest sounding last name. But if both are equal then I'll take his.

• I would change it because I wanted to, and I hate my last name anyways

• I would change it if I married my boyfriend, his last name is better than my last name

What Guys Said 10

• im keeping my last name, if she wants I'll hyphenate.

• I would hope last name arguments would never come up. It's sad to argue over something so... well benign.
    If it avoids some bullshit with her and she's worth it certainly.

• I wonder how does that work with people who have suffixes at the end of their name? Anyway I like my last name and I personally think hyphenated last names look ugly, I don't think any last name would look right beside mine.

• I would not give a shit, because there's much more things in life to worry about than a surname.

• Westerns... lol

• If someone is going to push me into an archaic ritual such as marriage, they're not going to get off easy and skip some of the less "likeable" aspects of it- which means she'd take my last name and so would any kids.

• maybe i would

• I won't change my name, i don't want her to change her name either.

• Well, first of all marriage is pointless. Second of all, this tradition isn't in my country :) so there's no need.

But, if I were in the USA (.. which would only be when pigs can fly) then I couldn't care less about it

• Sure, it's no problem for me, I'm not conservative.